multicam shortcuts

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rick van den Berg

multicam shortcuts

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 11:17 am

so i got a timeline with on track 1 a multicam clip, and the rest of the shots on track 2. (for a music video)

i can change the source viewer to ''multicam mode'', but when im busy with the other shots on track 2, it jumps back to the normal mode. (pretty logical)

this makes it, at that time, impossible to change the multicam angles. although i can rightclick on the clip in the timeline, and choose the desired angle, or change the viewer mode back to multicam mode with the mouse everytime. But it would be nice to keep the shortcuts available, for a much faster workflow.

i tried looking for shortcuts, but they only seem to work in multicam mode. or should they just work?

or is there a different approach for this? for example, is it possible to change the source viewer mode to multicam, with a shortcut?

Jim Simon

Re: multicam shortcuts

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 12:16 pm

I can recommend two options. Cut the multicam first, then add the other clips. Or, include the other clips in the multicam.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Sam Steti

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 8:13 am

Rick van den Berg wrote:so i got a timeline with on track 1 a multicam clip, and the rest of the shots on track 2. (for a music video)

? Graphics ? Titles ? or just "no live" clips ?

If I understand well, you just have a workflow problem, because when you're into a multicam, you must normally cut it first, there's no point at having a second track to click when you're on a multicam edit.
Let your second track alone (deactivate it and lock it) during the time of the multicam edit, then only drop your other clips wherever needed.

Or, what could be a workaround but a bad way of dealing with it, right click your multicam clip > open in timeline > add your "other" clips on a track here > close the ISO. Nothing will take the multicam overlays out even if you click these clips, but there's no reason at all these clips appear among live ones...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Rick van den Berg

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 12:09 pm

thanks for taking the time to reply.

''the rest of the shots'' are proxies of r3d clips, in HD mxf format. it's supposed to be a little storyline, combined with lip-synced shots of the artists. (which are in the multicam)

I wouldn't really say i've got a workflow problem. Let me just paint the picture here.

I'm not really using it as a live-registration tool, more like a tool to lip-sync some clips first, so i dont have to do that every single time i want to insert such a shot.

In this case, it's a music video for a band. we've shot alot a different stuff. some of them where they sing, some of them not.
So i've got alot of shots to sync, and for every verse/couplet a different location, and on 1 location some shots completely overlapping the song. A little complex.

i've created a multicam timeline where i placed every concerning shot on the right timecode, i think there are like 15. (some almost the same, just a different take)

the director does not have a clue of how the edit should really look like. its shot in a little ''loose'' way, and it's up to me to figure out how it should be eventually.

When i first cut the multicam without any cutaways to the storyline, i don't really get a nice ''harmonic'' feeling of what i'm doing, in combination with the storyline-shots.

Just for an example, lets say i cut the multicam first.
when i decide to insert a very wide storyline-shot at a certain point, i often (but really depends) find it better looking to cut to a close-up lip-synced shot, then a wide one after that.

so when i'm cutting the multicam first, i can't really tell for sure if i'd like to keep it that way later on.

but, it's not that big of a deal. So far, i just right-clicked on the multicamclip and said ''switch to angle X'' (the song is 3 minutes, and the storyline covers like 2/3th of the song, so not alot of work)

as i said, i use it as a tool to quickly be able to check different angles at the right place, instead of going trough the bins an check the right timecodes. it works quite well.

so far, i've edited all my music video's like this for years now. it's a really nice workflow IMO.

the reason i was asking, i'm coming from premiere, and could have just pressed any number on my keyboard (when the clip is selected) to view and select the right angle/take, also in the ''not-multicam'' view.

i cant really imagine a better workflow for these kind of productions. and because of that, i never looked for other.
i'll just keep using the mouse some more for a now.

but i'm always open to new ways of working. Actually, i'm quite curious how other people would approach this.

Sam Steti

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 3:40 pm

Well, actually I'm often asked for music clips too, mixing live, band off stage, green screen clips and to-be-dropped stuff...
To be clear, nobody ever asks you to scroll bins or whatever, I was talking about chopping out what will be unwanted anyway in the end in a first pass, by producing an edit of clips shot in each location, and so on...

Then, you may end with say 3 rough edits of the clip shot in one location only, therefore maybe 10 or 12 in the end, depending on how many times you shot the entire song clip on every location. And since you talk about lips synced storyline images too, you may want to edit them too to end with a synced track of these very clips too.
I'm finally talking about making a final multicam made out of pre-multicam tracks (made on each location) that you edited in the first place, you see ?
Moreover, in this context, you still have the song as a master length; even if your storyline clips cannot last the whole song, you'll always be able to produce a "story_final" clip pre-synced with lips, to be used in the final multicam... There's no more image on this track at a specific location ? No problem, the angle turns black and your choice has to be made on available angles at this playhead time...

Then you have your storyline clips included in the final multicam thus appearing in the angles window, as you wished. And don't be afraid to have blank parts in this very multicam window from time to time, fine tuning the multicam edit in the end always fix this.
BTW, this not at all a Resolve specific workflow for rock clips multicam...
Good continuation.
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to DaVinci Resolve