Audio - combine two mono tracks to one stereo?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

James Moore

Audio - combine two mono tracks to one stereo?

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 4:57 pm

I've got this documentary feature that I am finishing and the audio tracks came in via the XML as all mono tracks. The music, for example, sits on two mono tracks but the actual sound file is stereo.

Adjusting levels and fades on the two separate tracks in a pain. I can't seem to find a way to gang the two tracks in Fairlight.

The simplest solution would be to 'tell' resolve that the track is a stereo track and it is a stereo file. I can't seem to find a way to do this.

any suggestions?
Ventura
Mac Studio Utlra
32 gigs Ram

Vit Reiter

Re: Audio - combine two mono tracks to one stereo?

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 5:24 pm

Fairlight/Link Group... Unhidden is in Fairlight page.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

James Moore

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 6:13 pm

ah, ok. I see how I can gang two tracks that way. Can you key frame that main mixer panel? It doesn't appear to be the case...
Ventura
Mac Studio Utlra
32 gigs Ram

Vit Reiter

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 11:04 am

James Moore wrote:Can you key frame that main mixer panel? It doesn't appear to be the case...

You have right. My fail.
So after grouped of tracks You can alternatively use Automation Recording. (see manual pg. 2456)
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

Andy Mees

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 3:14 pm

James Moore wrote:The simplest solution would be to 'tell' resolve that the track is a stereo track and it is a stereo file. I can't seem to find a way to do this.

any suggestions?

For a file, have a look at the Clip Attributes > Audio tab, that's where you can change the clip(s) audio format/interpretation; for the track, right click the track header and choose 'Change Track Type To'.

paul_WCP

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 6:01 pm

that does only change the track type. It does not let you route two mono tracks to one stereo track with L/R.

I am having the same issues too. When you import clips from a pluraleyes XML a stereo track will be interpreted as two separate mono tracks. Or also when importing single tracks from an audio mixer that are actually L/R.

I have not found a possibility to merge those together as a stereo track (apart from creating a stereo track with ffmpeg and then pulling that into the timeline).

James Moore

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 9:14 pm

I can edit volume levels of the two tracks at the same time by highlighting them and using the inspector volume control. I haven't managed to figure out how to edit the in or out points of the two tracks at the same time, nor have I figured out how to fade them both in or out together other than to do each tracks fades separately.

Thanks for the tip on the page number for recording automation. I may have to give that a try sometime. Maybe I could mix a movie in 90 mins :-))
Ventura
Mac Studio Utlra
32 gigs Ram

Reynaud Venter

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 9:24 am

James Moore wrote:I haven't managed to figure out how to edit the in or out points of the two tracks at the same time
Trim > Trim Start
Trim > Trim End

nor have I figured out how to fade them both in or out together other than to do each tracks fades separately
Trim > Fade In to Playhead
Trim > Fade Out to Playhead

All functions are accessible with Audio Clips selected and with no active selection
(i.e. Trim across all Audio Tracks).

James Moore

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 1:10 pm

ah, I see. Resolve likes to work within it's various 'ports' (Trim, inspector) as opposed to on the timeline itself.

Thanks for the tips!
Ventura
Mac Studio Utlra
32 gigs Ram

svp-co

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 9:16 pm

Still the case in DaVinci Resolve 16? I find no way to do it. Hoping I'm wrong. Thinking I may have to "pre-process" the audio in a different ap first b4 importing into the resolve media pool :(

Return to DaVinci Resolve