'Always run Fusion on CPU' disappeared

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Abdelrahman Magdy

'Always run Fusion on CPU' disappeared

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 6:35 pm

I am not sure how, but after updating to Resolve 15.1, I can't seem to find the option to 'Always run Fusion on CPU'. This is causing me issues as Fusion still doesn't run well on GPU. I get crashes whenever I try connecting a Background node or a ChannelBooleans to the MediaOut. The only way to fix this was to use the CPU option, but now it is gone.

Here is a screenshot of the Preferences.

Screenshot from 2018-09-19 19-32-34.png
Screenshot from 2018-09-19 19-32-34.png (27.36 KiB) Viewed 5909 times
System specs:
Resolve Studio version: 16.1.0.055
Fusion Studio version: 9.0.2
CPU: Intel i7-4790k 4GHz Quad-Core
RAM: 32GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti 11GB

MikeRochefort

Re: 'Always run Fusion on CPU' disappeared

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 6:54 pm

Noticed this as well, and I also checked through all of the Fusion preferences accessible from the menu bar. Couldn’t find it or the tradition Fusion OpenCL options. It also seemed that the Fusion preferences weren’t being respected either, I would save them saying I want nodes to arrange to connected, but any comps generated would that feature disabled by default. Not sure what was going wrong there.

Cheers,
Mike
https://michaelrochefort.com/
3D Lookdev, Compositing, and Sysadmin
Fusion Studio 9.0.2
Fusion 16 Studio
RHEL 7.6 | Intel i7-6850K | 32GB memory | 3x GTX 1070 | 418.56

Abdelrahman Magdy

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 7:21 pm

MikeRochefort wrote:Noticed this as well, and I also checked through all of the Fusion preferences accessible from the menu bar. Couldn’t find it or the tradition Fusion OpenCL options. It also seemed that the Fusion preferences weren’t being respected either, I would save them saying I want nodes to arrange to connected, but any comps generated would that feature disabled by default. Not sure what was going wrong there.

Cheers,
Mike

I have noticed the Fusion settings issue as well. The settings are only respected if you go to the Fusion page in the traditional way (having media on the timeline and switching to Fusion). However, if you create a new composition using the generators or in the media pool, it ignores the Fusion settings.
System specs:
Resolve Studio version: 16.1.0.055
Fusion Studio version: 9.0.2
CPU: Intel i7-4790k 4GHz Quad-Core
RAM: 32GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti 11GB

Jason Tackaberry

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 9:56 pm

During the beta cycle, I had 'Always run Fusion on CPU' checked due to crashes. I didn't use Fusion since playing with it during beta.

Now as I dabble with it today on 15.2, I see that Fusion is entirely CPU-bound and my GPU isn't being used. I suspect it's because it's still honoring this option which I set months ago and which I no longer have the ability to toggle.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 | Windows 10 x64 (21H2) | AMD Threadripper 5950X | 64GB | NVIDIA 3080 Ti (516.94)

Jason Tackaberry

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 10:53 pm

Looking on my laptop which runs 15.0, I see the setting in the config.dat file which holds the preferences is Local.Fusion.CPUMode, which is set to 1 when "Always run Fusion on CPU" is enabled and 0 otherwise. This setting was absent from my 15.2 installation.

As an experiment, I tried adding Local.Fusion.CPUMode = 0 to config.dat but this didn't affect the behaviour. When I update global settings, the property is removed when the file is updated. So not only has the setting vanished, so has the functionality.

Is it possible GPU rendering for Fusion has been completely removed from Resolve after 15.0?

Edit: more likely my own understanding is flawed and I just need to RTFM. I see the Renderer3D object has a Renderer Type and I can choose OpenGL, at which time I see some activity on the GPU. (That said, the OpenGL renderer has some issues, which is perhaps why it defaults to Software renderer.)
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 | Windows 10 x64 (21H2) | AMD Threadripper 5950X | 64GB | NVIDIA 3080 Ti (516.94)

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 9:18 am

Jason Tackaberry wrote:Edit: more likely my own understanding is flawed and I just need to RTFM. I see the Renderer3D object has a Renderer Type and I can choose OpenGL, at which time I see some activity on the GPU. (That said, the OpenGL renderer has some issues, which is perhaps why it defaults to Software renderer.)

OpenGL and general purpose compute on GPU are different beasts, OpenGL is way easier go support and get working so I wouldn't make any connection between OpenGL and OpenCL/CUDA/Metal.
I do stuff

Paul Carlin

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 6:00 pm

So, to sum it up... the setting has vanished and no one knows why... correct?

I am having major issues with black frames in my cached fusion comps and it's causing some major issues to say the least. Not a real confidence builder when the client has to point out black frames in the renders.

- Paul
Professional Problem Solver

marcuschristopher

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 12:56 pm

Hi all,

I joined this forum just for this single issue. Has anybody solved this yet? Or is there another way now to set Fusion to run on "CPU only"?

Now, that I recently updated to 15.3, Fusion is causing all kinds of crashes (and I can't find a way to make it NOT use the GPU)... mostly, when I use any kind of Gaussian (like in the "Blur" value in the Luma Keyer) or when using a "Background" node.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Nick Kurucsev

PostThu May 30, 2019 11:44 pm

Hi all,

just wondering if there has been an answer to why this feature has gone?
When trying to add a simple effect like a blur to a clip in fusion, when I drop the effect on the line it sits a s a blank square for ages, doing nothing, the only way I can get it to work is add something like a defocus, then remove the defocus and re add the blur. I just cant work out why?
Does someone have optimal preferences for windows based computer running 2x GTX1080 cards for resolve and fusion?
Thanks,
Nick
DR 16 Studio
Gigabyte X299X Designare Mainboard, I9-10980XE CPU
128Gig Ram Windows 10 RTX3090

HeapsGood

PostThu Jul 18, 2019 5:16 am

Bumping this up too. Was stoked to find disabling the GPU solved all my issues, but such a pain disabling it on nearly every node.

ryan.lee.za

PostFri Feb 21, 2020 1:41 pm

I'm using Resolve 16. And I had an issue where I tracked an item in my footage using the 'Planner Tracker'. It successfully tracked. and I even created a 'Tracker Transform' node. But when I add the node into my workflow, Davinci would stop responding and slowing stop responding.

So looking at research, disabling the GPU in Fusion would be the best option since alot of people were getting this as a solution.... but 'Davinci resolve 16' has removed that option under settings.

So I found in the Node Inspector of the 'Tracker Transform' node, in the 'Settings' tab. There is an option to 'Disable GPU'.

THIS WORKED!!!!

Most of the nodes have this option. Check that... I can understand why Blackmagic did this because now, all my other Nodes still use my GPU(Which runs smoother under GPU), but then only that one Node causing problems run on the CPU. :-) !!!!

Screenshot 2020-02-21 at 15.39.06.png
Screenshot 2020-02-21 at 15.39.06.png (425.19 KiB) Viewed 3221 times

Manuel Geissinger

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 12:08 pm

This is a terrible solution. I spent the last 36h trying to export a 10 minute video with some fusion stuff, constantly crashing Resolve without any note what the issue is. If I went into the Fusion tab of the individual clips I didn't see any error message in the CLI window.

Basically picking this thing appart, the result of 4 weeks of work, I found that it was a simple planar tracker 2 second long animation by pure trial and error.

The switch would have allowed me to just not care about longer render times and force this thing through, now expecting me to go through individual nodes!! to toggle a switch, have you guys ever seen the average Fusion comp? Mine have like 200 nodes each.

Return to DaVinci Resolve