Keyframes in Color

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Marc Fisher

Keyframes in Color

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 12:24 am

I haven't found an answer to this yet, but when i'm animating a parameter in Color, wether its a window, or a shape, or a correction, the Dynamic Keyframes always seem to working with a Bell curve between them. Not a linear line from point a to B, or a somewhat better version like a Bezier curve. but a BELL curve.

I've checked the Change Dynamic Attributes, and set them to 1, for both options. and in and out points.

I can literally watch the color "jump" on my monitors. and shapes start floating off only to snap back to the B side keyframe.
What gives. i use these so much, and it's never behaved like expected. Like DS or AE or even Composer..
super frustrated and No, changing them to Constant doesn't work. nor should it.

Marc Wielage

Re: Keyframes in Color

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 2:29 am

Check the settings for "Dynamics Profile" in Project Settings, and make sure it's 1.

"In theory," if you change the Dynamic Attributes to 1, it should be linear. I've campaigned for years for separate default settings for color dissolves vs. PTZR dissolves, to no avail. Generally I want the PTZR attributes to be at least 2 or 3, and the color attributes to always be linear (1). I have not noticed ramp-based behavior on dissolves in 15.2, but it's worth investigating.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 3:00 am

(BM, just implement a curve controlled keyframes like any other good system please!!!)
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Marc Wielage

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 5:35 am

waltervolpatto wrote:(BM, just implement a curve controlled keyframes like any other good system please!!!)

I have to admit, that would be helpful.

Marc Fisher

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 8:07 pm

Hi Marc,
thanks for the Dynamics idea. YEs, mine is set to 1.

It is not something new, this haas happened for quite a while. at first i though i was clicking or setting something, but i've shown other people, just so i know i'm not loosing my marbles.

it's most prevalent, when doing something with color. or Opacity changes. The only way i've figured it so live by the rule of Halves. and eventually, i can get a decent animation. but seriously, going from 0% opacity, to 100% opacity, should be all of 2 keyframes. not 4 or 5..
same when fixing an iris shift. esp a smooth iris shift.
pick the lst good frame. add dynamic keyframe. go to frame where Iris stops. set another dynamic keyframe (or just adjust luminance at that point. should be easy enough.

what am i missing?

Marc Wielage

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 3:17 am

Marc Fisher wrote:pick the lst good frame. add dynamic keyframe. go to frame where Iris stops. set another dynamic keyframe (or just adjust luminance at that point. should be easy enough. what am i missing?

I don't know. I can't see the way you work, so I can only make some guesses. (Sometimes node order is a factor, and certain levels can get unbalanced and sort of "stressed out" if they're pushed too close to the edge due to the order of Node Operations.)

I do use window opacity all the time to bring in a power window (or mask) or take one out, so that is something I use. If you're not seeing the right results with an iris out -- like the old silent movie transition -- then what I would do is consider doing it as an alpha element and then just zoom the alpha through the "hole", which will create the same result.

You might have more control over it, like with an ease-in/ease-out, if it were an external matte.

Return to DaVinci Resolve