Filling gaps with pasted audio in Fairlight

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

studio1492

Filling gaps with pasted audio in Fairlight

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 1:20 am

I'm often cleaning audio tracks with noises like cars passing by, children laughing. Then must fill the remaining gaps with pure ambient sound.
The copy and paste method of Firelight doenst helps to this task, as I want to fill gaps by pasting betwen the in out marker as I do in the Timeliner, or even better would be to select the gap by clicking on it, and paste the content there.

Currently in fairlight, the pasted content excedes the out marker, or doens't fills the gap completely if the clip pasted clip was too short.

Then the second part I'm lost: the pasted content position depends of the playhead when the content was copied. I simply want to fill audio gaps copying content to replace unwanted noises in the clip, I don't care about the playhead. There is any way to make it easier?. Why copy and paste has to be so complex and limitant in Fairlight?. The manual it says that is easy than never, but it depends on the given work you want to do, absolutley is not for filling gaps and cleaning the sound track. Also contents can not be rippled and handled as one does in the Video Timeline Editor, perhaps I am missing something.

Also I find really unuseful to work on Firelight:

- There is no way to "slide content" inside an audio clip
- Clean Mark (In or Out) shortcut doesnt work in Fairlight, many elemental shortcuts must be reviewed in Fairlight, also Duration, Change speed.... any audio editor does this
- Duplicate speed repeating J and L speed also doesn't works there.
Trim edit also doenst works on Fairlight

I simply want to Mark the unwanted noises and Paste sound over, and after several hours and reading the manual too, I haven't found the way to do it eficiently, unless I go to the Editor. Perhpas the Editor is the place to do that, but why not on Fairlight too?
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

Reynaud Venter

Re: Filling gaps with pasted audio in Fairlight

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 6:53 pm

studio1492 wrote:There is any way to make it easier?. Why copy and paste has to be so complex and limitant in Fairlight?
Seems you need to spend some more time actually learning the Fairlight system, and set up custom key commands for all the appropriate editing functions.

Learning to take advantage of Layered Editing, Audio Track selection, Audio Clip selection and movement, Playhead manipulation, and Trim and Fade commands, all via key commands, would be an incredibly good start to becoming a proficient audio editor.

This is how dialogue editors work daily within Fairlight, and once you actually learn the editing workflow, you will appreciate its flexibility and strengths, and be able to quickly produce the required result with just a few key commands.

Uli Plank

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 2:39 am

And your first step could be the two one hour long tutorials from BM at YT.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

studio1492

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 11:05 am

Thanks I will give a try to the tutorials. I just read the manual but I didnt got the picure about how I can adapt it to my workflow needs.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

studio1492

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 12:53 am

Uli Plank wrote:And your first step could be the two one hour long tutorials from BM at YT.

After watching the 2 hours tutorial about Fairlight, I havent found the way to:

- (How to? please) Duplicate an audio clip on the timeline on Fairlight by dragging it and holding a key. In the video Edit, one can hold the ALT key while draggin a clip somewhere on the timlien to duplicate it. But on Fairlight, the ALT key is used to modify the clip value. There is any key to duplicate a clip by dragging it over the timeline on Fairlight?

- How to slide content of a clip on Fairlight? I want to slide the contents, but without modifying the In and Out point of that clip. On the Video Edit, the Trim mode allows to do it while draggint the clip on its upper part. How to do it in Fairlight?

- I want to Fill gaps betwen clips on Fairlight. I haven't found the way to do it on the tutorial. On Edit Timeline one can set and In and Out marker over a gap between clips, and then paste the content adjusted to the In-Out markers I would like a copy mode that pastes the content on the selected area (using the range selector as target).
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Reynaud Venter

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 8:25 am

studio1492 wrote:After watching the 2 hours tutorial about Fairlight, I havent found the way to
Are you honestly expecting to learn and master an obviously unfamiliar system in two hours, especially after watching a single tutorial video?

Things are worse than I had feared.

Daz Wood

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 9:54 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:
studio1492 wrote:After watching the 2 hours tutorial about Fairlight, I havent found the way to
Are you honestly expecting to learn and master an obviously unfamiliar system in two hours, especially after watching a single tutorial video?

Things are worse than I had feared.

I am sure he isn't but he did say he looked at the Manuel and then watched the video and now he is saying he is still stuck in finding out how to do what he needs to. I would say he is asking for help. :-(

I am a little tide up at the moment but will have a look and try and help out if i can later, but hopefully someone who uses Fairlight more regularly will step in before me.
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 4:40 pm

studio1492 wrote:There is any key to duplicate a clip by dragging it over the timeline on Fairlight?
I want to Fill gaps betwen clips on Fairlight
As mentioned in my previous post, learning to take advantage of Layered Editing, Audio Track selection, Audio Clip selection and movement, Playhead manipulation, Trim and Fade commands, all via key commands, would be an incredibly good start to becoming a proficient audio editor.

Close Gap.gif
Close Gap.gif (838.02 KiB) Viewed 1726 times

studio1492

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 4:50 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:
studio1492 wrote:There is any key to duplicate a clip by dragging it over the timeline on Fairlight?
I want to Fill gaps betwen clips on Fairlight
As mentioned in my previous post, learning to take advantage of Layered Editing, Audio Track selection, Audio Clip selection and movement, Playhead manipulation, Trim and Fade commands, all via key commands, would be an incredibly good start to becoming a proficient audio editor.

Close Gap.gif

Thanks!!!! Much appreciated!!!!!!

Things are better than I feared!

I'll have a look to this, and if I have any specific doubt about shortcuts I will let you know. Your answer made my day! Thanks
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Return to DaVinci Resolve