Where's the Serial Number in Resolve?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jason T

Where's the Serial Number in Resolve?

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 10:15 pm

I think I threw out the DaVinci Resolve packaging sleeve that had my serial number. Is there anyway to see it in DaVinci Resolve somehow? It doesn't show up in the about window and I'm afraid to hit the de-authorize button because I'm not sure what my serial number is anymore.

Jason

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Where's the Serial Number in Resolve?

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 6:25 am

If you are using a Resolve activation code, that would have some on a printed card with the Resolve package you bought. If you've lost that card and don't have that number recorded somewhere, there is not a way to retrieve it.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Jason T

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 2:20 pm

This seems to be an unorthodox concept?

No other software I've purchased behaves in this manner. Usually the serial would be displayed in the About window or Preferences. Or else it is registered with customer support when the software is first initialized.

So if I unauthorize this install I've basically thrown away my license and need to re-purchase?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 2:29 pm

One of few BM very strange decisions.
Surely those things should be logged.
At least it does say on the sticker that you need to keep it safe.

Christian Lessner

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 6:51 pm

Jason T wrote:No other software I've purchased behaves in this manner. Usually the serial would be displayed in the About window or Preferences.

Really? I haven't seen any software that would display the activation code just like that. It would be a risk for companies to install that software. Any employee or freelancer could just open the software, display the activation code, write it down, and then activate that license at home on their own computer.
Resolve Studio 15.2.4 | Windows 10 Pro (1803)
Intel i7-6850K | GTX 1080Ti (416.94) | 32 GB RAM | Mini Monitor 4K (10.11.4) | Mini Panel

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 7:41 pm

Note that it says to keep this card, and that lost cards or activation keys cannot be replaced.

resolve_activation_card_back.jpg
resolve_activation_card_back.jpg (118.12 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve