Closest Color Space to Red Gamma?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

grawlyx

Closest Color Space to Red Gamma?

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 7:44 am

I am an amateur colorist, and have made a rather large mistake. I colored a friend of mine's film and, in the process of upgrading a computer, forgot to change the proper output settings. I stupidly did not change it at the beginning when I received the project.

Anyhow, now he's asked for information for output color space as they got into another festival (for some reason did not ask for the first it was in) and when I went into check the project, I realized my mistake.
I'd left it as the rest of the input and timeline footage (Red Dragon Gamma 3).

I'm wondering, what would be the closest color space for the DCP?

bruce alan greene

Re: Closest Color Space to Red Gamma?

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 5:13 pm

grawlyx wrote:I am an amateur colorist, and have made a rather large mistake. I colored a friend of mine's film and, in the process of upgrading a computer, forgot to change the proper output settings. I stupidly did not change it at the beginning when I received the project.

Anyhow, now he's asked for information for output color space as they got into another festival (for some reason did not ask for the first it was in) and when I went into check the project, I realized my mistake.

If you were not grading in RCM or ACES, I would think the color space that you've graded is your monitor color space. So, if you were using a REC709 display, then you've graded to REC709. It shouldn't matter that your timeline was set to RED Dragon gamma 3.

It would be helpful for the DCP creation if you can also tell them the gamma setting of your grading display. ie. "REC709 gamma 2.2, full range data" Or whatever is correct for your rendered master.

I am also not clear what you mean by "output settings". Please explain your workflow clearly in more detail.

grawlyx

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 5:57 pm

bruce alan greene wrote:
grawlyx wrote:I am an amateur colorist, and have made a rather large mistake. I colored a friend of mine's film and, in the process of upgrading a computer, forgot to change the proper output settings. I stupidly did not change it at the beginning when I received the project.

If you were not grading in RCM or ACES, I would think the color space that you've graded is your monitor color space. So, if you were using a REC709 display, then you've graded to REC709. It shouldn't matter that your timeline was set to RED Dragon gamma 3.

It would be helpful for the DCP creation if you can also tell them the gamma setting of your grading display. ie. "REC709 gamma 2.2, full range data" Or whatever is correct for your rendered master.

I am also not clear what you mean by "output settings". Please explain your workflow clearly in more detail.

Thanks for the help, Bruce. By Output Settings, I mean within the project settings panel. I've attached a screenshot to show you my settings, if that helps at all.

Enlightening on the display settings. I thought since I set my project's output settings to something different, it would export differently for some reason. I didn't notice any changes in the colorforms when I checked the export, so it'd make sense that it was matching rec709.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 9.54.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 9.54.46 AM.png (72.62 KiB) Viewed 70 times

Marc Wielage

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 2:12 am

Why would you use DragonColor/RedGamma 3 as an output color space? I'm baffled on that.

The problem with the tools within Resolve is they're very powerful, and if you don't know what they are or don't read the manual carefully, those tools can take you right off a cliff.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Igor Riđanović

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 2:59 am

Like Bruce said:

Regardless of your RCM settings, you have shoehorned your values into the color space and gamma of your display. If you used a Rec.709 display with 2.4 gamma, that's the color space and gamma of your finished piece. Don't change your output color space setting when outputting files.

Return to DaVinci Resolve