Edit viewer displays only work in 4:3 aspect ratio in SD

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

timnich

Edit viewer displays only work in 4:3 aspect ratio in SD

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 3:19 pm

I recently revisited an old project shot in 16x9 SD on 15.2.4 on Win 10 and cannot get an SD time line to display the correct aspect ratio.

The source material is all set as 16x9 and shows a such in the media pane, and when the time line is viewed with a standard 1920x1080 setting all looks fine. However changing the timeline setting to PAL SD 720x576 16:9, The display in both source and edit viewers is 4:3.

If I change the timeline setting to 4:3 the viewers display is still 4:3 and the material is shown letterboxed within it. (and small as its not using the full viewer space, so its letterboxed in a pillarbox!) Turning on the aspect safe area display confirms that the viewers never use the full width.

However if I go to the deliver tab the viewer is the correct shape.

So basically whatever I do, in PAL SD the viewers always work within a 4:3 raster. Is there a way round this or is this a bug?

Currently I'm setting the timeline to HD, but having to remember to revert for delivery.

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Edit viewer displays only work in 4:3 aspect ratio in SD

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 5:16 pm

I think it was always like this. Basically Resolve shows viewer at square pixels (or 4x3 aspect), so for SD formats with non-square pixels you edit with squeezed preview in the viewer.
Color page is fine though :)

timnich

PostThu Feb 21, 2019 5:23 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:I think it was always like this. Basically Resolve shows viewer at square pixels (or 4x3 aspect), so for SD formats with non-square pixels you edit with squeezed preview in the viewer.
Color page is fine though :)

As is the delivery page. Seems a bit of a silly omission though. Thanks for confirming it was always like this, long time since I did SD......

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Feb 21, 2019 5:49 pm

Yes, maybe 1 day it will get fixed.

Return to DaVinci Resolve