Clipping in CLog2, and other ACES questions

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Zeke Faust

Clipping in CLog2, and other ACES questions

PostMon Mar 25, 2019 1:35 am

I have some footage that was shot on the C300mkII in CLog2. When I enable ACEScc and set the input transform to C300MKII CLog2 Daylight V1.0 Cinema and output to 709, my shadows clip below zero and can't be recovered. Are ACES transforms 32bit?
Interestingly, this does not happen with the C200 version of the input transform, nor does it happen with RCM set to CLog2 and 709.

Has anyone had this problem? I'd like to use ACES but am hesitant because it's still a bit foreign to me.

A couple other questions about ACES:

How does the input/output transform affect color picking/keying? When I use the white balance tool for instance, I end up with a far warmer white point than with ACES turned off. Is the selection happening before or after the input transform?

To make a show broadcast safe, I'll generate a soft clip lut and put it in the timeline group. Does ACES have any effect on this? I know LUTS work differently when using it so I'm not sure.
Threadripper 3960x
128GB memory
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090

Return to DaVinci Resolve