New colourist, struggling with monitor setup

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Luka_Kauzlaric

New colourist, struggling with monitor setup

PostSun Dec 11, 2022 9:57 pm

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for the long post.

Recently taken up the role of colourist at a growing agency. I'm new, having played with resolve for editing and basic colour work for about 5 years but only recently attending blackmagic certified colour training. I've got a decent understanding of workflow but I'm really falling over on the technical side of the setup.

I'm lucky enough before I started to have had a suite built for the process - it contains an LG C1 (mostly for Creative Director/client viewing), my macbook pro (soon to be mac studio) a random dell display for timelines and such and a very impressive 32" Dell UltraSharp UP3221Q that I'm hoping can be my reference display.

I have an i1 display pro calibrator as well as the inbuilt calibrator in the dell.

My issue is inconsistency and issues between the dell 32", and the lg c1. I've made attempts with the inbuilt calibrator to rec709 on the dell and the i1 on the lg using displaycal. Despite sending out the calibrated profile from the mac and what should be a rec709 image from the inbuilt options on the mac I'm getting different results. I send a clean feed to the dell and mirror to the c1. Despite the dell having an internal lut to 709 with it's own calibration, and with the display setting on the mac side to rec 709 and using clean feed in resolve - I'm getting a green tint to my eye, and I'm overcorrecting skin tones according to my vectorscope. The c1 is better, but has a magenta.

On top of that I've had mac gamma shift issues sending clips to others in the team - I've been using the 'use mac profiles' option in resolve, suspect that might be throwing a spanner in to the mix as well. a kind animator that was finishing the work on a windows machine problem noticed the shift, and corrected for it on his end.

I'm pitching for the purchase of an ultrastudio to at least mitigate one variable, but it's an uphill battle as belts are tightening and I'm thinking the request won't go through, with IT and finance unable to understand why I need more than a monitor and a laptop to do my job. Trying to make the best of what I have for now.

I recognise it's tricky to help my exact situation, so I'm wondering if anyone has some good resources on setting up and calibrating displays, or even more fundamental information if I'm lacking the understanding to frame the question correctly? Bonus points and perhaps a beer one day to the person that can help with a walk through of what to do to get me in the ballpark with my current situation.

Feeling very much in the deep end about this all and have been wading in it long enough to ask for help now haha

Return to DaVinci Resolve