Query re adding Fonts

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nigel Scott

Query re adding Fonts

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 3:29 pm

Hi I recently bought a MacBook Pro M1 16gb to use with Davinci Resolve. One of the fonts I use a lot is Schererazade. This was installed on my Windows PC. I have now tried to install it on my Mac. I downloaded and added both the regular font and the bold font. The font book shows that there are 2 styles but I can only get the regular style to show on the Davinci font list. Any idea how I can get Davinci to allow me to toggle between them. It is quite possible I have installed them incorrectly but they both appeared when I validated them.
Thanks
Nigel
MacBook Pro M1
16gb Memory

Windows 10 64-bit
Intel Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.5 GHz, 32.0GB RAM, NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER
DaVinci Resolve Studio Version 18.5 Public Beta

Marc Wielage

Re: Query re adding Fonts

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 8:12 pm

I have seen cases (at least on Mac) where the font only shows up in Text+ and not in the regular Text title tool. Look there and see what happens.

There could be a font conflict between this font and one with a similar name or Hex number, and that could explain why it doesn't show up. Note also you have to close Resolve and repopen it when you add any system fonts.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Nigel Scott

PostSat Dec 10, 2022 10:47 am

Hi Marc. You are totally correct! Both fonts appear on Text +. Thank you. It is weird that they don't show up when you use Text. A little bit annoying.
Regards

Nigel
MacBook Pro M1
16gb Memory

Windows 10 64-bit
Intel Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.5 GHz, 32.0GB RAM, NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER
DaVinci Resolve Studio Version 18.5 Public Beta

Marc Wielage

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 12:04 am

Nigel Scott wrote:Hi Marc. You are totally correct! Both fonts appear on Text +. Thank you. It is weird that they don't show up when you use Text. A little bit annoying.

My guess is that Resolve Color internally handles fonts differently than Fusion (which is where Text+ comes from). It's frustrating when you can open TextEdit or MS Word, and all the fonts are there... but some of those fonts are missing in Resolve. I have no idea why it's so.

Worst-case, we'll jump into Photoshop, drop in the titles, export it as a PNG or a TIFF graphic with an alpha channel, and then bring that into Resolve. That works every time if we're dealing with a weird, non-standard font.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve