Davinci Resolve crashes constantly (18.x+)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

magicAUS

Re: Davinci Resolve crashes constantly (18.x+)

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 4:55 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I see you were using Resolve 18.6.6 and reverted to 18.5. Did that change anything?

And you were using the AMD 24.2.1 driver and updated to 24.3.1, Did that change anything?

Forum folks seem to think the 23.11.1 driver is stable with Resolve. I'd recommend giving that a try.

And run the AMD Driver Cleanup app or DDU before you do.

No it didn't change anything. If anything, the crashing increased in the newer the version for each. But all are unstable. I wrote this in another topic related to crashing on here, as well as Reddit.

neurone

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 2:39 pm

I have had to revert to Studio 18.6.4.
I get as far as the project screen, it then crashes.
Win11 fully up to date, 13thGen i5 with GTX4070 with latest Nvidia prod drivers.
18.6.5, 18.6.6 & 19.1 all crash.
Can't reach the app to generate a log file.

Username

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 4:03 pm

neurone wrote:I have had to revert to Studio 18.6.4.
I get as far as the project screen, it then crashes.
Win11 fully up to date, 13thGen i5 with GTX4070 with latest Nvidia prod drivers.
18.6.5, 18.6.6 & 19.1 all crash.
Can't reach the app to generate a log file.

You dont need to launch Resolve to generate logs.
Here's a good guide to follow:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190
Under Logs and Windows you will find how to capture logs and NFO file.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

rshilts

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 12:24 am

Anecdotal information...
It *SEEMS* that after a recent Microsoft Windows 10 automatic update - Resolve Studio 18.6 (latest) started becoming unstable even in the edit page (6 video tracks, 8 audio tracks) even with the color grading turned off (and always using proxies).
I'd sometimes get looooong waits when moving the play head, even Windows would ask whether I wanted to continue waiting. 95% of the time, waiting a bit longer would pick things back up, but occasionally Resolve would just disappear.
Fortunately, the databases have not been corrupted (yet) - still always do backups though...
Just anecdotal...

magicAUS

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 7:03 am

I have swapped from AMD 6700 XT to NVIDIA GPU (4070 Ti Super) and Resolve 19.08B (Beta). So far, it's stable.

neurone

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 pm

Mine still crashes with any version from 18.6.5 onwards, it gets to the project screen and goes within a second.
How do I generate a log if I can't even get into the app.

magicAUS

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 5:16 pm

neurone wrote:Mine still crashes with any version from 18.6.5 onwards, it gets to the project screen and goes within a second.
How do I generate a log if I can't even get into the app.

When you say NVIDIA prod drivers does this mean Studio driver? I'm on latest game driver.

I'll be using it more next week so will see if it's still stable then.

Someone posted a few comments up with how to get the log without launching Resolve.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 6:32 pm

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows Desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open the Windows System Information app and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here. Make sure the links don't require access credentials.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Larry White

PostFri May 10, 2024 7:41 pm

My experience with continuous crashes: I discovered that if I turn Dual Screen off, crashes do not occur; but with it on, crashes occur routinely when in Color Page and, for some reason, the Media page. Cut and Edit seem fine, so far, with Dual Screen on. BMD techs have offered support, but still a mystery.

Specs in my signature, but:

DR Studio 18.6.6
Custom Tower PC
AMD 5900x
AMD RX 6800 (discovered after purchase that there's only one HDMI port, and three Display Ports, which might also be part of the problem.)
64 G RAM
1Tb SSD C drive
4Tb SSD project internal drive
Several 8Tb external spin drives (problem exists even with them disconnected)
I do have an LG "TV" monitor as my "regular" work display (documents, internet, etc.) and a BenQ 270C for photography and video work.

The crashes started with a Windows 11 update a year or so ago; Dwaine recommended rolling back Adrenalin one version, which did the trick for awhile. But then another W11 update snuck up on me and it started all over again (including, again, my wifi not showing up). I would truly love to go back to Windows 10 Pro, but that road is no longer an option.

All of this leads me to think that it's a combination of W11 and/or AMD driver conflicts with DRS, plus the different displays. I have not had issues with Photoshop nor LR.

Best,
Larry
Larry White
Hugo Street Productions

Custom Tower PC
Windows 11 Pro
AMD 5900x, AMD RX 6800
Studio 18.6.6; w/Speed Editor
64 Gig Ram
1 Tb C:
, 4Tb in M.2 slot
850 W Pwr supply

Ashley Thomas

PostMon May 20, 2024 2:13 am

I observed crashes fairly consistently when switching from Edit to Color page. It was not each time but about 50/50... seemed to not happen on first switch after restart of DR. Sometimes it would occur after switching to the color page and using a dial such as adjusting Gain (cannot guarantee same underlying issue). After the below sequence of steps, issue went away.

I had not been seeing this several month ago, then seemed to see it on DR 18.6.5 but it's unclear whether or not a Windows update had come in after installing 18.6.5 which might have led to the issue (because I'm fairly certain earlier this year that 18.6.5 worked okay some time before seeing issue... and I've been on the same GFX driver since 4Q last year).

I tried creating a simpler example and was able to see the issue as follows...

Steps: Start DR, go to traditional Edit page, create Timeline, add SMPTE Color Bar generator, lengthen it out like 30 seconds or so, wrap generator in CC to establish something that seems like a normal clip in the TL. Switch to Color Page, drag Gain dial back-and-forth really quickly, DR exits immediately on repro (note: all steps listed here may not be essential, it's just comprehensive to list what I did).

I did not prune down steps because issue went away after the following...

I had dual display setup. One display is 1080, the other 4K. Edit/Color main pages were on 4K, the other with bins/footage was on 1080. I swapped, no issue. I set DR to primary/single display, using 4K monitor, no issue, and switched to 1080 monitor, no issue. Switched back to dual, still no issue. In all of this, I had also performed a DR reset UI.

I've not seen the above two flavors of repro (the "Switch Edit-to-Color page" crash, nor the "gain dial up/down fast" crash) since the dual-to-single and swap-dual tests.

I'm suspicious something related to display config persistence within DR, OS, and/or GFX config space may be related, and "fixed" with DR display config changes.

Currently using: DR 18.6.6 Build 7, Ryzen 5800X, AMD W6800 Pro Graphics, 64GB RAM.

The 4Q Pro Graphics W6800 driver was fine, then this issue cropped up without any GFX change, only OS and DR updates a couple of months ago or so.

If recalling correctly, issue was not too bad, manageable on 18.6.5 some weeks ago during successful completion of one video edit.

Seemed worse this last week or so... much worse. I upgraded to 18.6.6 which did not solve anything.

I tried updating to latest chipset/GFX drivers today and that did not alone fix the issue... what seemed to "fix" the issue was changing DR display config as outlined.

Without repro any longer, I cannot offhand triangulate further.

Obviously, this may be unrelated to reports of other users... but perhaps worth trying dual/single display config changes, reset UI, etc., to see if it flushes any issues out... maybe try even if you have diff GFX as OS can persist monitor info and perhaps there's something there or with DR's config which got "fixed."

Ashley Thomas

PostTue May 21, 2024 11:24 pm

Ashley Thomas wrote:... issue went away after the following...

I had dual display setup. One display is 1080, the other 4K. Edit/Color main pages were on 4K, the other with bins/footage was on 1080. I swapped, no issue. I set DR to primary/single display, using 4K monitor, no issue, and switched to 1080 monitor, no issue. Switched back to dual, still no issue. In all of this, I had also performed a DR reset UI. ...
After a couple of days of usage without any crashes, I can confirm the issue has completely gone away, no more crashes after toggling Dual Screen (off then back on) and/or swapping which monitor was the Primary Display (between two monitors, one a 1080, the other a 4K monitor).

Toggling Dual Screen and/or swapping Primary Display seems to have flushed or changed some persisted config nuance negatively affecting DR as outlined in my prior message.

Ulysses Paiva

PostMon May 27, 2024 7:13 pm

I can confirm its the dual monitor setup setting that crashes only in the Color Page. I repatedly replicated this bug. Maybe now devs will finally fix it???
Ulysses Paiva

Charles Bennett

PostMon May 27, 2024 7:34 pm

What did you do to cause the crashes. On Windows I run three screens and have never had a crash when switching pages. I've used all the Resolve versions, both free and Studio, since 14.x.x.
Attachments
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG (500.72 KiB) Viewed 140 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b3 build 33
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Ulysses Paiva

PostMon May 27, 2024 9:50 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:What did you do to cause the crashes. On Windows I run three screens and have never had a crash when switching pages. I've used all the Resolve versions, both free and Studio, since 14.x.x.

Started when I changed to an AMD card (7900 XTX ). Old drivers work fine but several latest versions crash when in Color Page. My computer only crashes in this specific case. Nowhere else it crashes not even pushing far in benchmarks and overclocking (which I did for testing but use it at stock settings)
Ulysses Paiva
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve