BORIS FX Continuum, Sapphire, Mocha

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

RandyOK

BORIS FX Continuum, Sapphire, Mocha

PostThu Oct 17, 2019 2:45 pm

I am considering buying BORISFX Continuum, Sapphire and Mocha for Resolve/Fusion.
This will be running on a Puget Systems Windows 10 PC with dual NVIDIA RTX 2080Ti GPU.
I didn't see the NVIDIA RTX 2080Ti on their list of approved GPUs which seems odd.
Who is using Boris FX and what should I be aware of before I buy?
Have your experiences been positive or frustrating?
I have seen some post saying Resolve is really slow when using Boris FX OFX plugins.
I am not sure if that is a BorisFX issue or Resolve not being optimized for BORISFX.

Thoughts? Should I buy or wait?
DaVinci Resolve STUDIO 18.5.3
Puget Systems
Windows 10 Pro OS
i9 9940X CPU
Dual RTX 2080Ti GPUs
64GB RAM

Uli Plank

Re: BORIS FX Continuum, Sapphire, Mocha

PostThu Oct 17, 2019 3:10 pm

It's running well for me with my AMD card, but most of these FX are slower than the built in ones from BM.
Can't tell about the 2080, though.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jean Claude

PostThu Oct 17, 2019 4:51 pm

I confirm what ULI said:
Continuum works fine but is not optimized CUDA: In preferences => only OPENCL

Works well but not optimized for a RTX 2080 Ti (and it's a shame)
2019-10-17_18-45-53.jpg
2019-10-17_18-45-53.jpg (14.7 KiB) Viewed 4478 times

:cry:
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Sam Steti

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 8:58 am

Hey,

Yep, good questions Randy... A few things you have to know here below, more or less connected with your concerns...

1/ ResolveFX effects are not implemented the same way third parties OFXes are; I cannot tell you specific technical reasons but Resolve's own FX are always more efficient in terms of performance. So anyway, don't bother compare Resolve default FX and other ones, just compare third parties OFX;

2/ I'm personally 80% more into Mocha than into other Boris SFX, and thus can tell about it. Mocha OFX is not officially supported so far, especially its render part on the Resolve TL (as it is in Premiere for example). You may open the window, track etc... but it probably won't render to the TL.
However, you'll have success with Mocha when it's part of another OFX itself, i.e. when you can track with Mocha from a button within a Boris FX parameters.
I've got around by making FusionConnect files, since Mocha's implementation inside Fusion is ok, though no super performance there... I finally made the choice, if the project needs a lot of tracking, to go back to the standalone version I've been on for years before anyway (Imagineer time before Boris bought it).
I regularly have a look at Mocha's Forum, and Mocha Pro OFX (so as as I wrote not the lite version sometimes included with other FX) is still not officially supported in Resolve now;

3/ Some of the effects which have GUI controls on the viewer are not fully satisfying in Resolve for me... Well, just personal opinion here, and you may use control panel parameters anyway;

4/ I've had a special preference for Sapphire (Boris' too now) and its environment, and it's working well, even with extra panels openings for builders or presets. It might be sloppy, it's not and that's a good point.

Conclusion : no good performance anyway, OpenCL choice only, but when you reach the point where it's more handy to stay inside Resolve than roundtripping for some projects, it can make it.
Except for Mocha Pro, unfortunately...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Uli Plank

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 9:29 am

While Mocha Pro is not fully integrated yet regarding alpha, you can render a mask from it and use it as an external mask inside DR. Not the most elegant way, but it get's you there. At least the OFX is not crashing Resolve any more.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Jean Claude

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Mocha Continuum => Pixel Chooser works very well with Davinci Resolve. High performance mask or Roto
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Uli Plank

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Absolutely, it works fine for me in all the Continuum plug-ins. You can do very nice things with Particle Illusion, for example.
Only Mocha Pro itself is not well integrated yet, but I think BorisFX is aware of the problem.

Jean Claude

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 4:41 pm

I saw on the website Boris in the comparative Mocha / mocha Pro that there were ads for 2020. Keep your licenses up to date ... :)

Jean Claude

PostSat Oct 19, 2019 10:46 am

Uli Plank wrote:Absolutely, it works fine for me in all the Continuum plug-ins. You can do very nice things with Particle Illusion, for example.
Only Mocha Pro itself is not well integrated yet, but I think BorisFX is aware of the problem.

Yes Particule Illusion and Beat Reactor.... :)
Particle Illusion and Beat Reactor.jpg
Particle Illusion and Beat Reactor.jpg (394.72 KiB) Viewed 4325 times

Marc Wielage

PostSun Oct 20, 2019 12:05 am

RandyOK wrote:I am considering buying BORISFX Continuum, Sapphire and Mocha for Resolve/Fusion.
This will be running on a Puget Systems Windows 10 PC with dual NVIDIA RTX 2080Ti GPU. I didn't see the NVIDIA RTX 2080Ti on their list of approved GPUs which seems odd. Who is using Boris FX and what should I be aware of before I buy? Have your experiences been positive or frustrating? I have seen some post saying Resolve is really slow when using Boris FX OFX plugins. I am not sure if that is a BorisFX issue or Resolve not being optimized for BORISFX.

The BorisFX plug-ins (both Boris and Sapphire) are fantastic, but you will need to cache them before they'll play at speed on almost any system.

Mocha is best used outside of Resolve to create a mask, and that can work very well.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

shidemo

PostTue May 26, 2020 8:12 pm

RandyOK wrote:I am considering buying BORISFX Continuum, Sapphire and Mocha for Resolve/Fusion.
This will be running on a Puget Systems Windows 10 PC with dual NVIDIA RTX 2080Ti GPU.
I didn't see the NVIDIA RTX 2080Ti on their list of approved GPUs which seems odd.
Who is using Boris FX and what should I be aware of before I buy?
Have your experiences been positive or frustrating?
I have seen some post saying Resolve is really slow when using Boris FX OFX plugins.
I am not sure if that is a BorisFX issue or Resolve not being optimized for BORISFX.

Thoughts? Should I buy or wait?

I'm considering to switch from PP/AE to Resolve Studio including Fusion. Since most Red Giants Plugins aren't available as a OFX version für Resolve I was thinking to switch to BorisFX. I saw a video on YT about the upcoming Saphhire 2020.5 where the product manager said the new version will support the Fusion page in Resolve.
As far as I can say the other Plugins (Mocha Pro, Continuum 2020.5) are not officiel supported yet. Does anyone know if they "work" anyway or if they can/will crash?

cj-adams

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 6:37 pm

Well 2021 is out.. and lots of changes..also sale is on too!

Trensharo

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 12:59 am

O haven't met many OFX that play at speed in Resolve. The same FX play at speed in other NLEs using OCL, so I doubt that is at issue. Prefer ResokveFX or Fusion's native stuff where possible, since the BorisFX OFX are unlikely to give better performance (IME).

mastix

PostThu Dec 03, 2020 11:21 pm

Unfortunately it's true that the performance of BorisFx OFX in Davinci is very sluggish. Their plugins are incredible and many times much better than the once in Resolve. Deflickr or patch removal Boris version are incredible powerful and give heads and shoulders better results that the ones inside Davinci,(which should be as the Continuum suite for example costs 3x as much as Davinci resolve Studio) but and here is the great caveat they are slow as a snail.

I find that Mocha Pro is amazing in tracking and removing anything but I could not finish it with the render module so I rendered inside the Mocha UI which is fine as the roundtrip is not so bad. I get much better speeds with Mocha than with Continuum for example.

Even with a powerful computer you will have to use a quarter resolution to get away with them. At 4k forget it. Even with a RTX 3090 I get a bad performance. Maybe it has to do with them not supporting CUDA which is weird. Here is hope that may be in the future........
Windows 10 64 bits
Davinci Resolve 18.6 Studio
INTEL 8700
32 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3090

cj-adams

PostThu Dec 03, 2020 11:46 pm

It really sounds like something else is wrong with your set up

Return to DaVinci Resolve