Dropped XAVC support in the free version

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Eric_Courtemanche

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 4:53 pm

I've been using Resolve free on windows for small projects and for evaluation purposes. We mainly use Sony FS7 cameras but since version 16.1 all media went offline on all our projects.

Shrinivas Ramani, from your forum support said "Starting with 16.1 (b2), we support some flavors of XAVC from professional cameras only on the Studio version ".

The Sony FS7 is one of the biggest selling camera for production and you dropped support for it's codec in the free version?

The free version helped us introduce resolve to filmmakers and editors in our market but with this move it's hard to make them switch to resolve!!

Uli Plank

Re: Dropped XAVC support in the free version

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 6:31 pm

Could it be that Sony is asking license fees for these flavors?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Cary Knoop

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 6:34 pm

How long have you been using Resolve "for evaluation purposes"?

A Resolve license is only $299!

Mel Matsuoka

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 7:15 pm

Cary Knoop wrote:How long have you been using Resolve "for evaluation purposes"?

+1 to this. It’s amazing that people complain about having to pay $299 for a piece of software that used to literally cost over half a million dollars to own and use 9 years ago.

Did you also get your camera for free?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Marc Salvatore

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 7:26 pm

I agree just buy the product if possible and support it's continued development. I purchased at ver. 14 and have never had to pay an upgrade fee. That alone is unheard of in this industry not to mention the power we get for such a low entry price.
ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 / i7-5820K / 64gb ram / NVidea 2070 Super / Windows 10 / Resolve Studio / Speed Editor

Eric_Courtemanche

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Could it be that Sony is asking license fees for these flavors?

Maybe, still would be nice for support to let us know.

Cary Knoop wrote:How long have you been using Resolve "for evaluation purposes"?

Since the free version! And because I already have FCP X (that I don't use anymore to be fair) and Premier Pro CC. The free version of Resolve was enough for me, as my 3rd editing software. Why so condescending! When you put a free version out and stop supporting features it's normal peoples ask why.

Mel Matsuoka

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 7:44 pm

Eric_Courtemanche wrote:When you put a free version out and stop supporting features it's normal peoples ask why.

Well, apparently you got your answer from BMD as to why they stopped supporting the version XAVC your camera uses in the free version of Resolve. Yet the existence of your original post makes it seem like you're still complaining that you now have to pay for the Studio version. That's why you're getting the "condescending" pushback. It may be annoying and disappointing when something you used to get for free suddenly requires you to pay for it, but it's not a bait-and-switch move by BMD. I'm sure it has to do with licensing. They can't reasonably give stuff away for free that requires them to pay a significant per-unit licensing fee to a third party like Sony. So why not just pay the measly $295, support the development of the software, and move on with your life?
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Jack Swart

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 7:53 pm

XAVC support was why I switched from FCP7 to DR11, way back.
I used the free version for a few years but then needed the options that Studio provided.
I bought a Fusion dongle which gives me all the versions of DR studio and Fusion Studio for USD$299.
I now have three full studio systems.
I understand your frustration but unless BMD makes a profit, we will have no version 17 and onwards.
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

Mel Matsuoka

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 7:57 pm

Jack Swart wrote:I bought a Fusion dongle which gives me all the versions of DR studio and Fusion Studio for USD$299.

Thanks for mentioning this. This is yet another reason why there really is ZERO justification for anyone to complain about the price of Resolve Studio, for any reason whatsoever.

BMD’s pricing model for both Resolve and Fusion make absolutely no sense to conventional business logic. And yet the company shows no signs of impending failure, so they must be doing something right.

Eric_Courtemanche

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 9:04 pm

Eric_Courtemanche wrote:I'm sure it has to do with licensing. They can't reasonably give stuff away for free that requires them to pay a significant per-unit licensing fee to a third party like Sony

If only you would have stopped there...

The free version made me discover BMD, which made me discover some of their products. I then invested in the Atem studio, smartview and web presenter from BMD which is way more than your "measly $295". If YOU have nothing helpful to say just get on with YOUR life :roll:

As a small studio I have to get some answers before I invest in a new pipeline. Like I said, I used the free version to evaluate, to work on small projects and show to peoples I work with since I mainly edit with Premiere pro. But I got to really like Resolve. Is it temporary licensing issue? Is dropping XAVC from the free version going to affect the studio version in the future? Before investing in a measly $295 I still would like to have some answers.

Uli Plank

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 8:02 am

It's probably going to stay that way.
Look at how BM had to drop cDNG, supposedly by pressure from Red's lawyers. Let's hope that Apple with their deeper pockets is getting all of us rid of that problem, BM can't afford to fight the giants.

Just like those who want DNG are downgrading their camera (if possible), why don't you continue to use the older version of Resolve? It's still there if you scroll down in the download area.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Cary Knoop

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 3:04 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Let's hope that Apple with their deeper pockets is getting all of us rid of that problem...

That hope did not materialize.

Uli Plank

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 5:02 pm

If you have access to a Mac, maybe this helps:
https://www.easefab.com/tutorial/conver ... n-mac.html

Eric_Courtemanche

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 11:48 pm

Uli Plank wrote:If you have access to a Mac, maybe this helps:
https://www.easefab.com/tutorial/conver ... n-mac.html

Thanks!

bfinley

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 1:20 am

You can see all XAVC from FS7, F5, F55, etc by installing the 'XAVC/XDCAM Plug-in for Apple (PDZK-LT2)' which can be dowloaded from the Sony Creative Software site for free (registration required). Just installed Resolve 16.2.7 on a clean install of OS X Catalina, and wasn't able to view the footage in Resolve. I installed the Sony plugin and all is there.

Return to DaVinci Resolve