Advice required - Best Computer Monitor for Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

RealSting

Advice required - Best Computer Monitor for Resolve

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 8:52 pm

Hello,

I want to update my Apple Retinal 27" (2013) display with a UHD or preferably 4k monitor. I'm using the latest resolve studio; I do mainly feature film and docos so I do a lot of colour grading too. I'm presuming a full colour gamut of RGB and Rec709 would be a standard prerequisite?

I have a max budget of £1100.

My computer is the Late 2013 MacPro with G700 graphics.

If you have experience with some of the recommended monitors id love to hear your thoughts.

This one looked good: BenQ PV3200PT ?!

Thanks in advance.
Late 2013 (Trashcan) MacPro
8 Core/32GB RAM/D700 GPU/1GB System SSD HDD
8 TB G-TECH RAID 0 Thunderbolt Ext. HDD (Media drive)
Focusrite 2i2 AI
27” Apple Retinal Display
Tangent Ripple Colour Surface
OSX Catalina (latest version) - Resolve Studio 17 beta

Marc Wielage

Re: Advice required - Best Computer Monitor for Resolve

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 6:38 am

I'be been using nothing but Dell UltraSharps with all our Macs for -- let me think -- probably close to 20 years. I like them a lot more than Apple displays, because we have the ability to adjust them separately from the OS, and we can shut them off if we feel like it.

I'm not generally a fan of 4K GUI displays because I feel like it's just too small to read the controls or file names easily. I think 2550x1440 on a 27" display is about optimum for Resolve. I run Resolve 16 in 1920x1200 on a laptop on occasion, and it's adequate for that but I miss the bigger displays. I haven't checked to see how well OSX scales with a 4K display and whether that would be an option or whether Resolve would look OK in a higher resolution.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jim Simon

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 4:08 pm

I'm using the BenQ EW3270U. It's a 32" UHD monitor. I set the calibration using the settings in a published review and find it quite good.

Final QC is always done in a calibrated home theater, however.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 4:49 am

Well, the topic was "Best Computer Monitor for Resolve."

If you want a COLOR display for mastering, that's an entirely different conversation. And that's been done many, many times in the past. Computer displays (in general) are not a good idea for color correction.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

KatCaverly

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 1:35 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:I'm not generally a fan of 4K GUI displays because I feel like it's just too small to read the controls or file names easily. I think 2550x1440 on a 27" display is about optimum for Resolve.

thank you Marc, your advice rang true to me and saved me $1000 in deciding which GUI monitor to get for the new Mac Pro. I was going to get a LG 5K 27" and I already have a FS for grading. For now I am using a 4K iMac and the GUI is already too small to read.
Resolve Studio 18.1.3
macOS 13.3.1
16-core Mac Pro, 256GB RAM, Radeon Pro VII, 1TB SSD
8TB and 4TB OWC Accelsior 4M2 (PCIe) RAID 0
ext drives for backups/data
BMPCC 4K and 6K, UltraStudio 4K Mini, FSI DM240, Mini Panel, Editor Keyboard
Big Knob Studio

Uli Plank

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 2:50 pm

The MacOS scales the GUI very well. I’d suggest an LG 4K monitor, you can always set it for a bit lower resolution. But it’s nice if you want to view some 4K footage from the web.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

RealSting

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 3:55 pm

[quote="Marc Wielage"]Well, the topic was "Best Computer Monitor for Resolve."

If you want a COLOR display for mastering, that's an entirely different conversation. And that's been done many, many times in the past. Computer displays (in general) are not a good idea for color correction.[/quote]

I would presume that if you’re visually monitoring colour you would do that on your program output display (preferably 4K these days), not on the GUI monitor - that’s for the scopes!

However, my question is really a monitor for the DR GUI but at the same time I’m using the GUI monitor as an output monitor as I don’t have a 4K monitor spare for this.

Maybe 2 x 27” would be better as I want the real-estate for the GUI.

On a side note: most of the press releases I see on Resolve are showcased on ASUS monitors!
Focusrite 2i2 AI

RealSting

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 12:58 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:Well, the topic was "Best Computer Monitor for Resolve."

If you want a COLOR display for mastering, that's an entirely different conversation. And that's been done many, many times in the past. Computer displays (in general) are not a good idea for color correction.

Yes, and I think most people that are even half serious about this know that. The reality is 2 quality monitors is expensive not to mention that some cannot afford the space they take up. Many monitors above the £750 range provide a ‘fairly decent’ reference for grading .. So the original question remains.. what is a good (maybe ‘best’ if there is one) monitor for resolve? I’m wanting a 32” to be able to see more of Resolve’s interface.
Last edited by RealSting on Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Focusrite 2i2 AI

Dermot Shane

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 1:37 pm

you see much the same interface on a 1920 as you do on a larger raster screen

i use HP DreamColor mons for the UI, they are reasonably close to the broadcast mon, enough that they are not annoying at least

i prefer a 24" UI mon set off to the side to keep light pollution away from my eyes when gradeing, keeping scopes / control surface infront of me, i do not use the UI as much as some other folks, and turn off the viewer in the UI normaly anyway

prolly 98% of the time Resolve is open it's in the color page in my shop

davidhdennis

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 4:52 pm

I am not knowledgeable about color grading, but for the interface itself and Fusion, I find a 27" Samsung 4K monitor to work very well. The display scales just fine and is super-comfortable to read, much more so than a lower resolution display. My experience is that once you've had a Retina-resolution display, it's really hard to go back to the old lousy resolutions. And my monitor was just $250. I think it's actually more expensive now than when I bought it.

If you have an iMac or other Apple device, and your display is too small for its resolution, go to the Displays control panel and adjust it to taste. Better than enduring a hard to read display.
Equipment: MacBook Pro 16", Late 2019, 2.4ghz 8-Core i9, 64GB RAM, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB, 8TB SSD.

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 3:42 am

I run Resolve on the 27” iMac 5120x2880 primary display with a secondary 1920x1080 display. I was so impressed how Resolve spreads out the panels over both a primary and secondary display. The most important stuff is on the primary but a great desk of lists and things like media are on the secondary freeing up space for the timeline and viewers. Fairlight also makes good use of a large screen and dual monitors.
Rick Lang

Return to DaVinci Resolve