Replace From Bin/Replace Source

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

influxx

Replace From Bin/Replace Source

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 10:08 pm

Hi guys

I'm new here and a relative new user of Resolve - a migrant from Premier.

Currently I'm using the basic free version of 12.5 as that is the latest version that runs on my office system (MacOS X 10.11.6 on MacPro 3,1)

I've been digging around the archives of the forum looking for solutions to two common functions I used a lot in Premeir that I cannot seem to do in Resolve. Seems for a while this was not possible, but maybe in later versions this has been addressed....

In Premier I can right click on a clip in the timeline and Replace From Bin/Source Monitor. All parameters are left intact, just the content is updated/replaced.

Similarly, to swap a clip in the Project I can right click and Replace Footage. All instances in the timeline now use the updated footage.

Obviously these are huge timesavers that I cannot seem to do in Resolve 12.5

Is there a key/mouse combo that executes something similar? Or are these functions adressed in the full paid version? Or even in a later version of Resolve.

Thanks
Adam Mercado
Influxx Media Production
www.influxx.com

Moving Images. For Business

Luc Laflamme

Re: Replace From Bin/Replace Source

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 1:17 pm

"Replace From Bin" is a very very useful tool in Premiere ... You didn't get any answer on this one because I don't think a similar tool/command exists in Resolve ...

Anyway , here is a +1 from me , just in case someone has a clever workaround.

-L
Cinematographer - Producer
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU
64 Gig Ram DDR4
GeForce GTX 3080 12GB
ROG PG279Q
Focusrite Scarlett
Running on Windows 11

Kenzo

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 3:43 pm

Luc Laflamme wrote:"Replace From Bin" is a very very useful tool in Premiere ... You didn't get any answer on this one because I don't think a similar tool/command exists in Resolve ...

So, in Resolve 16 you can replace clip from source monitor or bin (with all attributes left). (I don't remember if it could have been done in previous versions.)

influxx wrote:Similarly, to swap a clip in the Project I can right click and Replace Footage. All instances in the timeline now use the updated footage.

You have Replace Clip in Resolve.
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

John Paines

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 4:10 pm

You replace timeline clips with other clips in the media pool with either the "force conform" function or the "replace" editing option. This goes one at a time, not every instance.

You replace media pool clips, and every instance of same in the timeline, with the "relink to" option added some time after 12.5.

Derek Howard

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 4:34 pm

influxx wrote:In Premier I can right click on a clip in the timeline and Replace From Bin/Source Monitor. All parameters are left intact, just the content is updated/replaced.

In Resolve, this is called a Conform Lock. Make sure you have the clip you want to be used as a replacement selected in the media pool panel. Then right click the clip on the timeline you want to replace media with and select "Conform Lock with Media Pool Clip"

influxx wrote:Similarly, to swap a clip in the Project I can right click and Replace Footage. All instances in the timeline now use the updated footage.

This can also be done in the Media Pool by right clicking a clip and selecting "Replace Selected Clip".

Kenzo

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 6:04 pm

Derek Howard wrote:In Resolve, this is called a Conform Lock. Make sure you have the clip you want to be used as a replacement selected in the media pool panel. Then right click the clip on the timeline you want to replace media with and select "Conform Lock with Media Pool Clip"

Nope, it's totally different tool.

In Resolve you can use Replace command for this (from Source Monitor or Media Pool).
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

Derek Howard

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 7:03 pm

Kenzo wrote:Nope, it's totally different tool.

In Resolve you can use Replace command for this (from Source Monitor or Media Pool).

Sorry I must have misunderstood the original post. I thought he was referring to replacing the source clip it was using from the media pool, not just replacing one clip with another from the source monitor.

Kenzo

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 7:13 pm

Derek Howard wrote:I thought he was referring to replacing the source clip it was using from the media pool

You got it right, you can do it with Replace command (from Media Pool too) and it works similar to Replace from Bin in Premiere.
Of course you can also do it with Conform but it's a bit inconvenient.
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

influxx

PostTue Mar 17, 2020 8:10 pm

Hi Derek, et al,

Thanks for the advice. Just getting back to follow up and say thanks.

Conform Lock did the trick. Exactly what I was looking for. I would NEVER have guessed to try that, quite obscure menu item.

As far as replacing items in the project I still have yet to solve that. I can relink an item to a file in the Finder, as long as it has the identical filename. So it’s useful if a file gets moved to a different folder. But beyond that not much purpose.

At least we can brute force media swapping via importing the new media then doing Conform Lock

Thanks again all
Adam
Adam Mercado
Influxx Media Production
www.influxx.com

Moving Images. For Business

Return to DaVinci Resolve