Videos Stretched Out

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mike1938

Videos Stretched Out

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 12:32 am

I recently shot some video. By mistake the videos were recorded at 1440 x 1080. I have the latest free version of Resolve. When I import them to the timeline they are stretched out. Is there any way I can correct this problem?

Andy Mees

Re: Videos Stretched Out

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 1:43 am

At the Project Settings level you can set the default Input Scaling action you want to perform when dealing with clips that don’t match the current project resolution:

Project Settings > Image Scaling > Input Scaling > Mismatched resolution files

The default is 'Scale entire image to fit' which shouldn't distort your source footage in any way ... perhaps yours is inadvertently set to 'Stretch frame to all corners'? That would cause your source footage to be distorted to fit the output frame.

Or if the problem lies in the media's Pixel Aspect Ratio interpretation, you can adjust that in the Clip Attributes.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Mike1938

Re: Videos Stretched Out

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 8:46 pm

The problem was in the Pixel Aspect Ratio interpretation. I changed Square to NTSC 16:9. Problem solved.
Thank you.

Return to DaVinci Resolve