Fusion Macro default length?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

discmeister

Fusion Macro default length?

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Hi all,

I'm getting to grips with Resolve and Fusion now and really starting to see the benefits having switched from Adobe. One thing I've been trying to do is to create a template for lower thirds that can just be dragged and dropped onto subsequent timelines. I think the best way to do this is a Macro from Fusion, with text fields ticked as 'adjustable' so that I can alter the content but not the lower third animation and frame positioning etc.

However, while my Fusion clip that I've used to create the Macros is seven seconds and 08 frames long, when I drag the title preset created from that clip onto a subsequent timeline it defaults to a duration of five seconds - forcing me to extend the composition in the timeline every time to the point where the lower third leaves the screen. Is there a way of saving the duration of the Macro so it's the correct length? Or is it perhaps a default clip setting somewhere in the depths of Resolve that I haven't discovered yet?

Hope someone can help to clarify.

Kind regards to all,

Discy

Firehouse Creative

Re: Fusion Macro default length?

PostWed Feb 09, 2022 4:14 pm

Been looking for a solution to this. Made a bunch of branded titles in Fusion, varying lengths, and I drop them in and have to change all of them. There is a "default length" option for titles in settings, but nothing about preserving that title's inherent length.
---
Wes Langdon
Instagram: @supervibrant

Resolve Studio (current) | Mac Studio M1 Ultra (20-core) | macOS Sonoma | Resolve Mini Panel | Resolve Editor Keyboard | Ultrastudio 4K Mini > LG EP950 & LG CX | Synology DS1821+ over 10Gbe

mplover

PostWed Mar 16, 2022 6:54 am

Same here. I've built a NodeJS app that generates .settings and .drfx files automatically from some data sources, but I need them to be longer than 5 seconds since some are 3 and 4 times that length. I guess I'm just going to work on the keyframes for now, but I'm not sure if they'll stay past the default 299th frame when dragged to the timeline. Hoping it's just a matter of getting my editors to extend the length of the comp appropriately.

Anyone with knowledge on this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

xunile

PostThu Mar 17, 2022 5:31 pm

If you want a Fusion Title or Generator to last beyond the default clip length, add it to the timeline, adjust it to the length you want, then add it to a Power bin. You can then reuse it in other projects and it will be the length you set. You can use Anim Curves in Fusion for adjustable timing of animations in Fusion, but if you need them to be longer than the default clip length setting then Power Bins are probably the way to go.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

mplover

PostTue May 17, 2022 2:03 pm

That would work if the graphics are reused. Mine are generated per use since there are 100+ data points that would need to be updated. I wish there was a way to specify metadata about the fusion clip to override DR's default length.

SandroSchreiber

PostWed Jan 10, 2024 11:39 am

I have the same problem. Isn't there a way to include the clip duration in the macro? The workaround with the power bins is not very practical for the end user if you want to distribute templates via .drfx.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Resolve Mini Panel | Win11 23H2
GeForce RTX4090 (552.22 studio driver) | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, Desktop Video 12.8.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve