Couple of Resolve 16 editing questions - can it do these?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mark Harmer

Couple of Resolve 16 editing questions - can it do these?

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 2:26 pm

In programs like Vegas / Magix / Reaper / Audition I find it hugely useful sometimes to be able to overlap two adjacent timeline clips so they automatically create a mix / crossfade. Is this something that Resolve can do, or have I just not spotted how to enable it? This can be really useful for example when looping audio / video.

Also, when putting fades at the end of clips which are on different tracks but start simultaneously, is there a way of aligning the fade-points so they coincide (other programs either let you use a marker, or they display a vertical line on the editing timeline when the fade points coincide).

Jim Simon

Re: Couple of Resolve 16 editing questions - can it do these

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 3:40 pm

Transitions must be manually applied. (Thankfully.)

I don't understand the second question.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Mark Harmer

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 4:54 pm

I agree normally it's great to manually apply transitions but for looping (say) a long piece of continuous audio atmos, it's really useful to be able to overlap clips and have a smooth transition.

For the second question, to clarify, let's say you have two video clips on tracks one above the other (for example, they might be two lines of text in different fonts). You can make them start simultaneously easily enough and Resolve will give you a helpful vertical line when both starts are lined up.

If you want them both to fade them both in so they reach 100% opacity together, then you move the handle at the top of each clip to the right to where you want it to have fully faded in, but there is no helpful indication that you have both "handles" lined up in the same way that you have when both clip starts / ends are lined up. Hope that makes sense. Just that other edit software (both audio and video) that I've used, does this and it's useful. I was just wondering if it's built into Resolve and I've missed it.

kinvermark

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 5:32 pm

You can do what you desire in Resolve:

To make it "Vegas like" just hold down SHIFT+ALT while dragging clip to overlap.
Fast default transitions: highlight all the clips and hit CONTROL+T
To line up end or start fades use CONTROL+I or CONTROL+O (you will need to experiment with selection and targeting to understand behavior.) and it will make them all fade to same point in time.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Mark Harmer

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 5:37 pm

Brilliant, @kinvermark, that's EXACTLY what I wanted / hoped for!!

Thanks so much!

Mark

roger.magnusson

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 5:44 pm

I actually miss those little things from Vegas and Reaper too. Their timeline management is excellent.

The first one is possible in Resolve, just hold Shift+Alt when dragging a clip over another.

Edit: Late to the party. :)

Jim Simon

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 8:47 pm

Mark Harmer wrote:you move the handle at the top of each clip to the right

Actually, I never use those. I find the method cumbersome compared to using a proper transition.

But to line up the Fade Handles on multiple clips, zoom into the timeline and place the playhead where you want them all to end.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Sergey Mirontsev

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 1:02 pm

simultaneously... in layer mode :)
Attachments
Annotation 2020-01-24 154632.png
Annotation 2020-01-24 154632.png (21.03 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
Blackmagic Design Certified Master Trainer

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (Samyang 12mm Cine, 35mm Cine)
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.4.0007
Speed Editor 1.4.1
Windows 10 Pro 21H1, i7-7700, 32Gb RAM, SSD, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb (471.68 Studio)

Return to DaVinci Resolve