I have misplaced some of my productions

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

blimey

I have misplaced some of my productions

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 6:10 am

I have been editing a lot of videos and they were beginning to fill up the top page of the programme. However I noticed that there was a possibility of creating folders. I therefore created folders by the year the video was taken and have been filing away my videos. However I now find that although I have the final videos that I created. I cannot find some of the original editing session which I want to modify. Where is this file stored and what have I done? I want to keep these copies. The only thing that I have been doing is to try to simplify the source video files which are on external drives none of these have as yet been deleted.
Thanks
Terence Christopher
My system is a Dell all in one with windows 10 64 bit with I 7 processor 16 Gb ram and 2 Tb onboard drive plus 15 Tb supplemental drive space

Charles Bennett

Re: I have misplaced some of my productions

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 10:43 am

That opening page shows the content of your Database. If you haven't deleted anything from it all the projects should still exist. Right click on the Database name and it will give you the option to open it so you can see what is saved there. The pic below shows mine, and where it is located.
When archiving to an external drive I save each project into its own folder containing all the source files. I also save a .drp file for each and a copy of the Database. Then it is no problem to go back to a project.
Attachments
Database Location.jpg
Database Location.jpg (83.39 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

MarcusWolschon

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 11:20 am

Also note that you can drag&drop projects INTO folders
but there is no way to move projects OUT of folders again
(except to copy and paste them via keyboard shortcuts, creating a new project.)

Jim Simon

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 2:43 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:there is no way to move projects OUT of folders again

I'm still hoping that will change. Folks should let BMD know they want this.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=96952
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Frank Engel

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 6:01 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:Also note that you can drag&drop projects INTO folders
but there is no way to move projects OUT of folders again
(except to copy and paste them via keyboard shortcuts, creating a new project.)

Use cut and paste to move it out. That doesn't create a copy.

blimey

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 4:03 am

Charles Thanks for your reply which was very informative. I was delayed in my reply because the format I find is not exactly like yours as I only see lists of files. However I did find the database and searched it to find that the project is nowhere to be seen. Yet I did create a project, modified the images and then rendered it to a folder. The finished product is available. I wonder whether I dropped it into a folder without saving it if that is possible.But there should have been a previously saved project there somewhere. I think I will have to redo the project as there was a lipsynch problem that I should correct.
I don't know how many more that there are. Is it possible to put it in a file and then somehow delete it?
I am also intrigued by your technique of saving the originating file with the rendered final file in its database. Does it imply that every saved specimen is in a big external drive as part of one database? I have been trying to create a clean small drive for each year of files. Which I had hoped to link with the database saved somewhere on my computer. This clearly is not as clean or compact as yours as other files that are unused creep in. Do you have a reference on this technique that I could look up somewhere?
I need to know more about it before ripping up what I have at this time.
Thanks indeed for your very kind help
Terence

blimey

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 4:11 am

Marcus and Jim
Thanks for your replies. I have not yet tried to move files out of a folder in my database so this was not the cause of the file loss. I followed Charles advice and found a list of my folders and files, but the project in question was missing. even though I have a rendered output. it is all very strange. I am hoping that there are no more missing projects. I will try to reconstitute the project and will hope that it matches th existent rendered project file. I am a bit leery of cutting and pasting all of these projects if I have to reconstitute many of these projectt
Thanks for your advice.
Terence

Marc Wielage

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 11:28 am

blimey wrote:I followed Charles advice and found a list of my folders and files, but the project in question was missing. even though I have a rendered output. it is all very strange. I am hoping that there are no more missing projects. I will try to reconstitute the project and will hope that it matches th existent rendered project file. I am a bit leery of cutting and pasting all of these projects if I have to reconstitute many of these projects.

My best advice to you is to create a folder within your project source drive folder called "Color," and then every so often, export your current Resolve project as a DRP ("DaVinci Resolve Project") file and leave the copy in there. That way, if the Project Manager dies, or if your project becomes corrupted -- all unlikely, but it's possible -- you can always import that backup project and keep going. I'm fairly paranoid about making backups, though it's been rare that I've had to use one in the last 10 years.

There is also an automatic backup function you can use within Resolve, but I prefer to do it manually because I have different directories for every project, sometimes on a different source drive.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

MarcusWolschon

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 11:34 am

Or just make actual backups (and every once in a while check that they can actually be read).
(Or don't omit the job of a system administrator, if you are a company.)
They prevent so many more possible catastrophies and you wouldn't have lost all this time
for caring about the issue in the first place.
Note: RAID != backup.

Charles Bennett

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 1:00 pm

Terrence, this is how I organise my archive drives of which there are two containing exactly the same things. The majority of folders contain the original source footage of each project along with a folder containing the separately recorded audio. I also have folders for Final Renders, DRPs, Databases, Cache, and Gallery stills. This way I can always find and go back to a project
Attachments
Archive Drive.JPG
Archive Drive.JPG (255.06 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

blimey

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 9:23 pm

Charles,Marc, and Marcus
Thanks indeed for your interest and invaluable help. I will have to reevaluate my present operation to increase the security. I have the final output on a NAS system with RAID 5 and monitoring of drive health. I realise that an external static file is also needed but have not yet done that. I use this storage as it has the capacity for streaming output. However I have found that I need to decompress the input files before editing which blows them up to about 100 Gigabytes or more. I have been storing both the original compressed as well as the Da Vinci ready decompressed files and found that it seemed easier to use smaller 5 Terabyte files which are easier to store than the larger ones. I will have to work out how to connect that as an archival storage for the Resolve Database. I am about to switch to 4k which magnifies the problem even more.
Anyway thanks for explaining a lot that I did not understand. Though I still have to understand what DRP's are and where they fit in.
Terence

MarcusWolschon

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 10:03 pm

We have a USB controlled power socket on our NAS (for footage).
Right before the backup this switches on the external drives and after the backup they are powered down again.
So in case of an early discovered crypto-trojan, lightning or other desaster, the backup drives are hopefully not even powered at that moment.

Also each team member (team is distributed across multiple countries) has a local copy of the footage for all current and recent projects and a backup of many historic projects.

Projects themself are stored on a central PostgreSQL database for collaborative work instead of the local machines.

Return to DaVinci Resolve