How do I set up additional drives for caching, scratch disk?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bananasushi

How do I set up additional drives for caching, scratch disk?

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 4:52 pm

I have been told by a friend that I should be using a scratch disk to speed things up and I found a page about that
https://timeinpixels.com/2014/12/improve-davinci-resolve-performance-3-steps/
scratch_drives.jpg
scratch_drives.jpg (30.96 KiB) Viewed 311 times

however, that page is from 2014 on an older version of resolve where it doesn't look like that anymore in the current resolve and he doesn't even explain how to do anything.
Media Storage.gif
Media Storage.gif (459.07 KiB) Viewed 311 times

It says the first Media Storage location in the above list will be used to blah blah... I don't know how to make them switch positions. Or do I delete the C:\ and add it again after so it will show up after? Or do I uncheck one of them?
I've been trying to find web pages and forum posts that talk about scratch disks or render caches but I can't find anyone actually telling you how to set them up.
A video by puget systems also explains about this and offers a tutuorial, however it's only for adobe premier.
"Optimizing Storage for Premiere Pro - Youtube"

The only thing I was able to do is go into preferences>media and storage and 'add' another blank ssd.
But I have no idea how to tell resolve to use one for this and one for that. It also says
They say ideally you should have 2-3 disks.
1 Os and software
2 Project and source media
3 Media Cache and scratch
Still I don't see how to tell davinci resolve how to use disk 2 as project and source media and disk 3 as media cach and scratch.

Glenn Sakatch

Re: How do I set up additional drives for caching, scratch d

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 5:06 pm

Unfortunately in your post your "Blah Blah Blah" has skipped over your answer.

It uses the area listed at the top of your media storage settings Blah Blah Blah...(the Blah is " unless you specify a different location in your project settings".

In your project settings you will see an area for setting your cache location, and your capture location, and your stills location.

bananasushi

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 5:19 pm

Well I read it, I just didn't understand how to make it the E drive if I wanted to. I don't see how to put E drive at the top.
That second picture was a screen shot of my project setting media storage.
I guess I never explained that second picture was a screen shot of my screen.
I just installed that E drive so that I can use it as my scratch/render cache drive. And when I read that the one at the top is the one used to store cache files etc, I didn't know how to make it on the top. The only way I thought was to maybe remove the c drive from the list and add it again so it would appear at the bottom. But I was worried if I did that it would break something. So I just decided to ask people.

bananasushi

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 5:29 pm

And if I add a 3rd drive, how can I tell it to use one of the drives as the project and source media and the other as the render cache?
Or, does the project and source media even need to be listed?
Currently I have all my pre rendered source files, on an external HDD.
Can I remove the C:\ from that list? Or just uncheck it? I don't know what that direct I/O thing is for.

I'm just confused

Jim Simon

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 2:59 pm

bananasushi wrote:do I delete the C:\ and add it again after

Delete it, and leave it gone. C drive shouldn't be used for anything other than OS and Programs.

Use other internal drives for databases, Cache, media, etc.

bananasushi

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 11:00 pm

Thank you so much!

Return to DaVinci Resolve