Interesting automation data in Fairlight!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MadPanic

Interesting automation data in Fairlight!

PostTue Feb 18, 2020 9:55 pm

I am trying to get on with the Automation in fairlight, but it seems very unstable. I have an external controller and sometimes the faders don't record at full range in Fairlight, so what you touch doesn't always result in the correct automation data. Also, I have yet to work out how to fully delete automation from a track. Once you get a green fader (i.e. reading automation) there seems to be no way to stop it.

Anyway, I have attached an interesting channel graphic of some automation data. How the slider is supposed to occupy more than one state is beyond me .... Schroders Mixer!

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 21.43.10.png
Bizarre Automation Data
Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 21.43.10.png (38.91 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 build7, MacStudio M2 Ultra 128Gb, OSX Sonoma,10TB SSD (2TB, & 2x 4TB). URSA Broadcast 6.7, BMPCC 6K, Cubase 13

Reynaud Venter

Re: Interesting automation data in Fairlight!

PostWed Feb 19, 2020 6:23 am

MadPanic wrote:I have yet to work out how to fully delete automation from a track. Once you get a green fader (i.e. reading automation) there seems to be no way to stop it.
There are a few methods of removing automation data.

(1) Once in Read, use the Undo keybinding to remove the previous write pass (or step through passes).
(2) Via the Automation drawer's "Select Range" tool, you can draw a marquee and use the backspace key
(3) Specify a Range prior to selecting Fairlight > Automation > Erase

Anyway, I have attached an interesting channel graphic of some automation data
Do you experience the same behaviour with errant automation data being written when manually moving the fader in Resolve's GUI?

Which controller has been set up for use with Resolve?

Will Howard

PostWed Feb 19, 2020 7:22 am

I have never seen a crazy shape like that in the automation view. Do you have a 3d fader? ;)

MadPanic

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 4:22 pm

Will Howard wrote:I have never seen a crazy shape like that in the automation view. Do you have a 3d fader? ;)

Maybe it's for 360 audio, who knows! But it was a crazy pattern.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 build7, MacStudio M2 Ultra 128Gb, OSX Sonoma,10TB SSD (2TB, & 2x 4TB). URSA Broadcast 6.7, BMPCC 6K, Cubase 13

MadPanic

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 5:16 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:Do you experience the same behaviour with errant automation data being written when manually moving the fader in Resolve's GUI?

Interesting. I went to run a bunch of tests and couldn't reproduce the problems I was having, until I changed the settings to 'Trim' mode. With Write, Latch, Return set, it seems to be quite reliable. As soon as I do anything with trim, the scale changes and the slider will jump around. This also happens when using the mouse on the slider, but to be honest, I want automation so I can move more than one track at a time in realtime to avoid all that "click, add point, click add point, click add point, click add point, drag the middle two", workflow!

Thankyou for the advice on deleting automation, that does work and from the manual I hadn't quite grasped what I needed to do (probably read it too quickly;) )

Reynaud Venter wrote:Which controller has been set up for use with Resolve?

I am using the Behringer X-Touch as my controller.

Wish I had got this automation working last week, would have saved so much time fading in / out microphones on stage for a two hour production!!

Return to DaVinci Resolve