Copying and Pasting ALL grade versions at once?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mel Matsuoka

Copying and Pasting ALL grade versions at once?

PostThu Feb 27, 2020 2:49 am

I was doing some look development with a client, and we ended up doing up to 10 different versions of looks on a hero clip in the spot, and they want to see what all 10 versions look like when applied to the other clips in the spot.

Is there a way to quickly apply ALL grade versions from one clip to another, without having to save Stills of each version, or manually switching the versions and applying them to versions on the new clip?
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Tom Early

Re: Copying and Pasting ALL grade versions at once?

PostThu Feb 27, 2020 12:47 pm

Quickest way at the moment I believe would be to copy all versions to an adjustment clip. Then when you choose the one that is best, copy that to the clips themselves.

Unless the split screen/gallery grades feature is any use.

Don't think Color Trace can copy grades from one clip to many clips, but don't have time to check that.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Mel Matsuoka

PostThu Feb 27, 2020 6:18 pm

Tom Early wrote:Quickest way at the moment I believe would be to copy all versions to an adjustment clip. Then when you choose the one that is best, copy that to the clips themselves.

Unless the split screen/gallery grades feature is any use.

Don't think Color Trace can copy grades from one clip to many clips, but don't have time to check that.

Ah that's a great idea. At first I was thinking of doing all the versions on a Timeline grade, but that wouldn't allow me to choose different Versions for separate clips. Adjustment Clip seems to solve that issue. Thanks for the tip.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Marc Wielage

PostFri Feb 28, 2020 12:00 am

Mel Matsuoka wrote:I was doing some look development with a client, and we ended up doing up to 10 different versions of looks on a hero clip in the spot, and they want to see what all 10 versions look like when applied to the other clips in the spot.

I would use multiple timelines, but that's me. I think there's a point where what a client thinks they want is not practical, let alone doable. Also, at some point, they have to make a decision and commit to it.

I was always impressed with what noted LA commercial colorist Bob Festa does: he'll create 9 separate PowerGrade looks, pull them up at the same time on a splitscreen, then run a shot over and over again in Loop mode, tell the client to pick the best look, and then leave the room for a minute. He comes back, and they're all gathered around the monitor arguing about the pros and cons of each one, and a decision gets made. That's a perfect use of this side-by-side comparison function within Resolve. (Baselight has a similar mode.)
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

LuciaDGE

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

I found a way, but it is only with it if is done in less clips that version are.

Go to edit page, duplicate the clip with the versions as many times as clips you need to apply all versions.
Then replace the footage of the copied clip with the footage you want the versions on.
This is done:
Select new footage on media pool
Right click on timeline clip copy, untick Conform Lock enable.
Right click again Conform lock with media pool clip.
Right click and tick Conform Lock enable again.

Return to DaVinci Resolve