DaVinci Resolve UI customizing.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jswguitar

DaVinci Resolve UI customizing.

PostSun May 10, 2020 4:54 am

I was wondering if any one knows if it is possible to change the color scheme of the UI in general. And the color of things like the Record, Solo and Mute buttons in the audio channels. For example when you mute a channel it is red and easy to see but when you solo it, it is a barely visible green that you can hardly tell whether it is on or not. Any way to change color or intensity of color to make it more obvious? Thanks for any info anyone can give.

John

Uli Plank

Re: DaVinci Resolve UI customizing.

PostSun May 10, 2020 5:34 am

Not really.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

jswguitar

PostWed May 13, 2020 10:05 pm

Thanks for the reply and info. I guess at least I found out that if I select the video or audio channel before I click the Solo button then it is easy to see. Thanks again for the reply.

John

sridharar

PostSat May 22, 2021 1:23 am

John

Appreciate your starting this note.

I find this a serious problem.

The visual feedback for the Solo Button is very difficult to discern.
I followed your tip but did not help me much.

I am also struggling with -- how to turn on all Audio Tracks, after playing a track Solo, with muting of a few tracks. It is not clear why some tracks play and others do not - and the S button color feedback is no help.

Anyone, any tips on how to change colors of UI in general.

Thanks Sri.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeXBbc4qNkdbNPywhopu1iA

freshtc

PostSat May 22, 2021 1:52 pm

I also would love to see a choice for a light colour UI theme. The dark theme is difficult to use when travelling & editing on the go on a laptop under less than ideal conditions.

Ardwych

PostSun Jun 06, 2021 7:10 pm

Indeed, I too find this black interface extremely hard to read. I understand Grant Petty's wish to maintain the black theme throughout the BlackMagic range of products, but when functionality falters, substance suffers under form.

Note that the interface is just not 'black', it's grey on black. The lettering is of deeply low contrast and finding anything takes twice the amount of concentration that is required by a conventional interface. Okay, 1.9x.

I shouldn't have to mention the Windows GUI since 1.0, word-processing apps, countless others, and ...books. Even The Gimp's multi-windowed scattered UI was induced not to stray too far from the sensible norm and to bring everything back into one window. The widespread contrast in black on white is for a purpose, informed indeed by human evolution.
Oh, and there's this forum page too; black on white.

Is there an option to reverse the DaVinci Resolve interface colours that I've missed?
Is there a tweak, a hack?
Win10 22H2; DaVinci Resolve 18.6.x
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Gigabyte AB350 3-CF; nVidia GP106 - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB; 16 GB RAM
'Real Name' for Blackmagic: Drew Watkins

Uli Plank

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 2:45 am

Not that I know of. But then, it's not purely cosmetic or brand-oriented.
Many video applications received darker backgrounds in recent years, have a look at Adobe's. It's avoiding "recalibration" of your eyes when you want to focus on the appearance of your video, and it's getting even more important with HDR.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jason Conrad

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 4:12 am

Isn’t it about time for beige computers to be popular again?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

ricardo marty

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 4:28 am

Jason Conrad wrote:Isn’t it about time for beige computers to be popular again?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It might be a joke but i've been looking for a beige box and monitors.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 4:32 am

Uli Plank wrote:Not that I know of. But then, it's not purely cosmetic or brand-oriented.
Many video applications received darker backgrounds in recent years, have a look at Adobe's. It's avoiding "recalibration" of your eyes when you want to focus on the appearance of your video, and it's getting even more important with HDR.

Resolve is, by BMDs own intent, used for much more than just grading. Somehow it seems to be frequently forgotten, Resolve is not a grading application anymore. For someone who for example preps or organizes data, the appearance of video itself is pretty much irrelevant.
I do stuff

Igor Riđanović

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 3:52 am

I agree that user theme customization would be a good thing. I strongly disagree the values of the current UI should be inverted to make it look more like an office product. Resolve is used in professional, low light environments where a glowing UI is not desirable. I use Resolve in a projection room with house lights completely turned off and a bright UI would illuminate the screen and would als omake it difficult to see what's on the screen. All professional NLEs and VFX applications have followed a similar scheme for decades now.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Ardwych

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 7:53 pm

Igor Riđanović wrote:I agree that user theme customization would be a good thing. I strongly disagree the values of the current UI should be inverted to make it look more like an office product. Resolve is used in professional, low light environments where a glowing UI is not desirable. I use Resolve in a projection ... -snip-
Yes, I understand, Igor, and others. I suppose I was advocating a choice, the option to choose how we have our UI, and beginning from the standard common hues seemed a good place to start. I'm most definitely aware of 'retinal bleaching' or 'recalibration'.
What was/is most irritating to me is the difficulty in discriminating between grey on black; I haven't seen that elsewhere. Font size too, perhaps.
Maybe a few alternatives, along the lines of your argument, would be a good compromise.

Rick van den Berg

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 9:34 pm

i'm kind of used to the non-customizable layout now, and i like it pretty much. there's no hassle in reorganizing windows, which i often had with premiere, especially when working from a network. there were even bugs which gave you a blank screen, with weird workarounds etc.

but i do miss a few things, like something simple as a big loudness/audio meter, using the entire height of the screen for more resolution, without having to use some kind of vst/floating window.

or, something which i still frequently really miss: a flexible, larger source window, or full screen, for any screen you'd like to pick, when working on a multicam session and a director in the same room.

Renegat

PostThu Aug 19, 2021 8:53 am

For several versions back, I have been checking whether there is a possibility to change the brightness of the user interface, unfortunately it is still not possible :?

NickBR

PostThu Oct 27, 2022 3:48 pm

HI, yes I installed for evaluation.
It's all very well saying the theme is dark to avoid compromising perception when moving from UI to the video itself.
But if the UI is so dark that I can't see the menus, can't see the text that is supposed to be telling me "No clips in media pool" and cannot see anything else, then it's not a productive tool is it?
Surely as an editing tool that is what it is supposed to be - productive?

This has been requested for years and BlackMagic are not listening because they have their own view of what you "should" be doing.

So, for me, completely useless and will be uninstalled.
Back to Premiere Pro...

Return to DaVinci Resolve