List of Resolve Studio 17 bugs (MAC) (Ongoing)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

RealSting

List of Resolve Studio 17 bugs (MAC) (Ongoing)

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 3:50 pm

Rather than make individual posts.. I will post them all here as I find them! A thread within a thread as it were. Easier for BMD to see too.

Im using a Late2013 MAcPro 8Core D700 Graphics 32GB RAM. OSX 10.15.7 (Catalina). A computer that has given me surprisingly few crashes and issues with ALL previous versions of DRS.

I am editing BRAW (CBR) 5:1 4096 x 1720 (2:4:1) from a BMPCC4k
Timeline: 2048 x 858 DCI Scope 2:39
Colour Science: ACEScc, version ACES 1.1
ACES Output Device Transform: Rec709
(No correction LUTs used)

BUGS Bunny:

* 13 Nov 2020 *

1. COLOR PAGE (Magic Mask): HORRIFICALLY SLOW COMPARED WITH POWER WINDOWS! Both tracking them and playing them back. When playing back the completed task in ANY page, I'm only getting about 5 fps!! UNUSABLE for me. Q. Why are Power Windows infinitely quicker? (i.e tracking is faster than real-time and playback is faultless!) - they are both performing the exact (more or less apart from mask geometry) same task?!(Beta 1 and 2)

2. EDIT PAGE: Have experienced the odd program quit whilst slip editing clips with open fx on them. (Beta 2)

3. Mixed Framerates DONT WORK! In Resolve 16 I could mix framerates on the timeline and I wouldn’t see any frame skipping or have any audio sync problems. DR17 seems to have all of these issues - I’m mixing 23.98, 24,25 and 50 FPS and it looks a bloody mess!

28/2/21 - Version 17.0

Colour Picker doesn’t show RGB levels when selected. This has always been an issue, but now not working at all.

14/3/21 - Version 17.1

1. Glow effect missing in DaVinci Light Effects section of OpenFx.

2. RGB Colour picker still temperamental, sometimes shows often doesn’t!
Last edited by RealSting on Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:26 am, edited 18 times in total.
Late 2013 (Trashcan) MacPro
8 Core/32GB RAM/D700 GPU/1GB System SSD HDD
8 TB G-TECH RAID 0 Thunderbolt Ext. HDD (Media drive)
Focusrite 2i2 AI
27” Apple Retinal Display
Tangent Ripple Colour Surface
OSX Catalina (latest version) - Resolve Studio 17 beta

Jim Simon

Re: List of Resolve Studio 17 BUGS (MAC) (Ongoing)

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 4:04 pm

RealSting wrote:Rather than make individual posts.

That is actually the better approach. It keeps the conversation focued on that one issue, which is easier for both editors and BMD to follow.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

jamie_fenn

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 10:40 pm

After upgrading to 17 I have a project that some of the audio from gopro sources and sony a7iii sources that dont play the audio in the project. The waveforms don't show up in the clip in the edit timeline either but all other audio in the project is fine. Gh5 footage audio is still working fine.

I opened a fresh new project and when I drag the same files in (the ones that dont work in the original project) the audio is there and plays.

Tried adding the videos that have no sound back into the project but same problem occurs. And it only happens with the video from those cameras that is currently in the edit timeline (also cant hear it from the clips in the edit tab in the media tab when trying to preview them) Adding new media that hasn't been used in the timeline from the same cameras is not a problem.

I tried copying the entire video (thats having the problem) and pasting it in a new project and the same issue occurs.

I tried deleting all cache and turning on smart cache and let the whole project render. Still not fixed.

Please let me know any other details you may need from me to help me.

Macbook pro
17.1b beta build 3
Help please?!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 3.35.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 3.35.32 PM.png (331.54 KiB) Viewed 2120 times

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 4:58 am

RealSting wrote:Rather than make individual posts.. I will post them all here as I find them! A thread within a thread as it were. Easier for BMD to see too.

Im using a Late2013 MAcPro 8Core D700 Graphics 32GB RAM. OSX 10.15.7 (Catalina). A computer that has given me surprisingly few crashes and issues with ALL previous versions of DRS.

I am editing BRAW (CBR) 5:1 4096 x 1720 (2:4:1) from a BMPCC4k
Timeline: 2048 x 858 DCI Scope 2:39
Colour Science: ACEScc, version ACES 1.1
ACES Output Device Transform: Rec709
(No correction LUTs used)

BUGS Bunny:

* 13 Nov 2020 *

1. COLOR PAGE (Magic Mask): HORRIFICALLY SLOW COMPARED WITH POWER WINDOWS! Both tracking them and playing them back. When playing back the completed task in ANY page, I'm only getting about 5 fps!! UNUSABLE for me. Q. Why are Power Windows infinitely quicker? (i.e tracking is faster than real-time and playback is faultless!) - they are both performing the exact (more or less apart from mask geometry) same task?!

Magic mask is an extensive DNN process and a this year model GPU with optimized AI hardware works quite well.
Power windows are simple shapes.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

sackboydad

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 4:03 pm

My projects are all 24fps and the project master is 24fps.
If I load a timeline that was NOT set to "use project settings" and is using 23.976fps, playback will work for about 1 sec then the audio will speed up and the video will stutter. This did NOT happen in DR16 (yes it's sloppy to have accidentally used 24 and 23.976 interchangeably, but it wasn't a problem until DR17)

Since I'm using a timeline with "stuff" on it already, there's no way for me to check the "use Project Settings" to fix this until the bug is fixed to behave like DR16

(Big Sur (11.0.1 Release version), 2020 iMac 3.6Ghz 10-Core i9, 128GB RAM, Radeon Pro 5700XT (16GB)

RealSting

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 4:18 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote: Magic mask is an extensive DNN process and a this year model GPU with optimized AI hardware works quite well.

thanks Peter.. but what's the DNN process?
Late 2013 (Trashcan) MacPro
8 Core/32GB RAM/D700 GPU/1GB System SSD HDD
8 TB G-TECH RAID 0 Thunderbolt Ext. HDD (Media drive)
Focusrite 2i2 AI
27” Apple Retinal Display
Tangent Ripple Colour Surface
OSX Catalina (latest version) - Resolve Studio 17 beta

andrew_dotdot

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 9:51 pm

Render cache often has black sections within clips.

This has happened in both beta 1 and beta 2. It's a project that I began in 17 -- not a holdover from 16. This is reproduce-able in this project, even after multiple re-boots, etc.

I'm essentially working on a "slide show" kind of project with .jpg stills and dynamic zoom. On top of those I have a colored solid that's about 80% cropped from the top - i.e. a semitransparent colored bar across the bottom of the frame, and on top of all that there's a fusion composition that contains a text for each slide that does a movement into the frame at the beginning and out again at the end of each segment.

If I have Render Cache set to User, I will get render cache versions of each little 8-second stack of clips, but if it begins to render while the play head is inside the clip, there will be black frames in the render cached version.

If I select the fusion composition for that broken part of the timeline while the play head is in a different area of the timeline, I can then delete render cache for "Selected clips...". I see the render indicator line go from blue to red to blue again as it re-renders the section, and everything is good after that.

I have not seen the black frames carried over into actual deliveries. I've successfully exported both h.265 and h.264 versions in mp4 wrappers with no black frames.
Andrew Hart - Stockholm, Sweden

Resolve Studio 18.5
Mac M1 Pro on MacOS 13.4.1

Steve Alexander

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 11:37 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
RealSting wrote:Rather than make individual posts.

That is actually the better approach. It keeps the conversation focued on that one issue, which is easier for both editors and BMD to follow.

I agree. The practice of putting many defects in a single thread is impossible to manage for both users and more importantly, developers.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 25, 2020 7:59 am

RealSting wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote: Magic mask is an extensive DNN process and a this year model GPU with optimized AI hardware works quite well.

thanks Peter.. but what's the DNN process?

Deep Neural Network
think AI but specific to us
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Jalenga

Re: List of Resolve Studio 17 bugs (MAC) (Ongoing)

PostThu May 20, 2021 1:12 am

2018 Macbook pro user here - Catalina.
Titles effects (along with others) not showing in display. Not right-click optional either.
I've uninstalled then reinstalled Davinci 17.

Any assistance on this one?

Return to DaVinci Resolve