DaVinci Resolve 9.0.1 update

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

DaVinci Resolve 9.0.1 update

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 9:14 am

Hello, we have just posted a DaVinci Resolve 9.0.1 update which includes general performance improvements, SStP 12bit codec support and also a new CinemaDNG highlight recovery option.

If you have a CinemaDNG clip that is quite over exposed, and you are using the exposure control to bring back details in the highlights, in the CameraRaw palette on the Color page you can select 'Highlight Recovery' and Resolve will act to recover as much of the overexposed image as it can.

Be sure to update to the correct CUDA version 5.0.24 if you have recently updated your Mac OS X to 10.7.5 or 10.8.2 for NVIDIA GPU based systems. For ATI card OpenCL based systems, we strongly recommend updating to 10.8.2.

thanks
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Aleksandr_Oleynik

Re: DaVinci Resolve 9.0.1 update

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 3:04 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote: and also a new CinemaDNG highlight recovery option.

Thank You Peter!
Work Great and Real Time!

Andrew Hunter

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 4:34 pm

Hey Peter,

Would you be able to go into more detail as to what the Highlight Recovery option does? Using the afterglow footage, I can't see a difference, both visually or on the scopes.

Is there any documentation on how it is supposed to be used?

Cheers,

Andrew

Aleksandr_Oleynik

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 4:38 pm

Andrew,
Try this footage by Ty Evans
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=427
exposure test:

discussed here -
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=454

Andrew Hunter

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 4:44 pm

Aleksandr,

Do you have another link to the exposure test? That one has expired.

Cheers,

Andrew

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Hello, we have just posted a DaVinci Resolve 9.0.1 update which includes general performance improvements, SStP 12bit codec support and also a new CinemaDNG highlight recovery option.

If you have a CinemaDNG clip that is quite over exposed, and you are using the exposure control to bring back details in the highlights, in the CameraRaw palette on the Color page you can select 'Highlight Recovery' and Resolve will act to recover as much of the overexposed image as it can.

Be sure to update to the correct CUDA version 5.0.24 if you have recently updated your Mac OS X to 10.7.5 or 10.8.2 for NVIDIA GPU based systems. For ATI card OpenCL based systems, we strongly recommend updating to 10.8.2.

thanks
Peter

This issue is now being handled by BMD tech support in the "Post Production" forum:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=896&start=10

=============
Hi Peter: Unfortunately, I've never been able to run Davinci Resolve Lite (including the latest 9.0.1) on my "early 2010" MacBook Pro 17" computer (2.66 GHz i7, 8GB RAM) with NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, with latest CUDA drivers installed (5.0.24), latest Mac OSX 10.8.2 installed, and "Automatic graphics switching" disabled.

I have uninstalled & reinstalled Resolve several times, but it won't run on my machine. Resolve quits w/o an error.

I've been informed by another person online who says they have the identical configuration as mine that Resolve Lite 9.x runs on their computer.

My computer & OS installation is very basic. I don't have any 3rd party system-level extensions installed, and my computer runs very reliably w/o errors.

I would appreciate some hint as to what I can do to get Resolve to run on my MBP, or at least confirmation if my computer is a supported configuration or not.

Thanks!
===================

Aleksandr_Oleynik

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 8:06 pm

Andrew Hunter wrote:Aleksandr,

Do you have another link to the exposure test? That one has expired.

Cheers,

Andrew

After half an hour will be here -
http://www.ex.ua/view_storage/306266101086

See the first frame Andrew!

Andrew Hunter

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 10:03 pm

Hey Aleksandr,

I'm on satilite internet right now and downloading the zip will take 10 hours. Any chance of uploading the first frame as you mention?

nickdale

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 10:31 pm

Hey - I know this hasn't got anything to do with the recent update but is a general DaVinci question for you guys if thats ok as I'm having problems running it on my MacBook Pro - I've got a high spec 2.2Ghz i7, 16GB Ram and a 240GB SSD as my main drive, but when I import footage into it and try and play it back it is really laggy and stuttery and it is VERY sluggish when I try and do anything...

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Andrew Hunter

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 11:08 pm

nickdale wrote:Hey - I know this hasn't got anything to do with the recent update but is a general DaVinci question for you guys if thats ok as I'm having problems running it on my MacBook Pro - I've got a high spec 2.2Ghz i7, 16GB Ram and a 240GB SSD as my main drive, but when I import footage into it and try and play it back it is really laggy and stuttery and it is VERY sluggish when I try and do anything...

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

I'd recommend starting your own thread rather than asking in this one. Likely it's your graphics card.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 1:55 am

Andrew Hunter wrote:Hey Peter,
Would you be able to go into more detail as to what the Highlight Recovery option does? Using the afterglow footage, I can't see a difference, both visually or on the scopes.
Is there any documentation on how it is supposed to be used?
Cheers,
Andrew

If you open a DNG clip that is quite overexposed you will see on the waveform that it is clipped at the white point. By selecting the 'Highlight Recovery' checkbox Resolve will recover as much of this over white clipped data as it can and you will see this in the waveform as the clipping reduces and in the very hot white highlights of the image on the viewer.
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Aleksandr_Oleynik

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 11:42 am

Andrew Hunter wrote:Hey Aleksandr,

I'm on satilite internet right now and downloading the zip will take 10 hours. Any chance of uploading the first frame as you mention?

Yes!
http://www.ex.ua/view_storage/167656417019

Andrew Hunter

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Hey Peter and Aleksandr,

Thanks for your explanation, I can see the effect that is has!

Out of curiosity, how does Highlight recovery work? Does it only work when one channel is clipped and attempt to interpolate what might have been there based on the remaining samples?

Return to DaVinci Resolve