Can't open DaVinci Resolve 17

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

pisacunevolji

Can't open DaVinci Resolve 17

PostSun Jan 24, 2021 9:32 pm

I've had lots of trouble with this application, so I'll try to keep it short. It took me a few hours to download it a few days ago due to constantly hitting roadblocks, but once I did finally have it installed I was able to open it up and mess around with it for a few minutes before closing it and leaving it until today. So today when I tried to click on the icon to open it, the app just did nothing. The hourglass appeared next to the cursor for a few seconds, and then nothing else happened. I tried opening it directly from the file itself, running it as admin, closing anything in task manager related to it, uninstalling and reinstalling, disabling windows firewall, uninstalling my antivirus, restarting my computer, unplugging my external drive and opening it, making sure the proper TC ports or whatever were free, and everything I've seen online, but it keeps doing the same thing.

Jim Simon

Re: Can't open DaVinci Resolve 17

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 5:59 pm

Some ideas to follow before install.

1. Use an Admin account in Windows.
2. Have only mouse and keyboard attached.
3. Use only the native Windows Security. (Firewall can be on.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

pisacunevolji

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 8:12 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Some ideas to follow before install.

1. Use an Admin account in Windows.
2. Have only mouse and keyboard attached.
3. Use only the native Windows Security. (Firewall can be on.)

Sadly I've tried all of these to no avail.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 3:08 am

pisacunevolji wrote:I've had lots of trouble with this application, so I'll try to keep it short. It took me a few hours to download it a few days ago due to constantly hitting roadblocks, but once I did finally have it installed I was able to open it up and mess around with it for a few minutes before closing it and leaving it until today. So today when I tried to click on the icon to open it, the app just did nothing. The hourglass appeared next to the cursor for a few seconds, and then nothing else happened. I tried opening it directly from the file itself, running it as admin, closing anything in task manager related to it, uninstalling and reinstalling, disabling windows firewall, uninstalling my antivirus, restarting my computer, unplugging my external drive and opening it, making sure the proper TC ports or whatever were free, and everything I've seen online, but it keeps doing the same thing.

Hi, can you review the FAQs and report all your system/GPU/OS/Resolve version details so there is something others can use to guide you?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 5:46 am

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

nukunukoo

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 3:39 pm

Is there a USB headphone/headset attached to your PC? I noticed that when my PC is attached to my Jabra or Seinheisser headset, DVR17 does the same thing with me on Windows (on my Mac, tis okay). Is it because audio reverts to 44.1 Khz/mono out?

pisacunevolji

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 2:52 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:In a File Explorer window, go to:

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.

https://www5.zippyshare.com/v/PsVttPC8/file.html
https://www5.zippyshare.com/v/qZmpydoN/file.html

pisacunevolji

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 2:53 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:In a File Explorer window, go to:

and run CaptureLogs

*Sidenote* after posting this I tried running Davinci resolve 16 instead, but ran into a similar issue.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 7:17 pm

I can't access your files. Please use some other file sharing site than Zippy. It makes all the malware alarm bells go off on my computer.
Dwaine Maggart

pisacunevolji

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 11:25 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I can't access your files. Please use some other file sharing site than Zippy. It makes all the malware alarm bells go off on my computer.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

pisacunevolji

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 2:45 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I can't access your files. Please use some other file sharing site than Zippy. It makes all the malware alarm bells go off on my computer.

Hey, not sure if you forgot about this thread, but if you can't help me that's fine too, and thanks for your efforts up until this point.

Charles Bennett

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 11:31 am

How about giving us details of your system? OS, exact version of Resolve, GPU and its' driver version, amount of RAM, etc.
Does your computer meet the minimum specs for Resolve?
Attachments
17.0b7 System Requirements.JPG
17.0b7 System Requirements.JPG (86.48 KiB) Viewed 4391 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

atmosfar

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 1:13 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:How about giving us details of your system? OS, exact version of Resolve, GPU and its' driver version, amount of RAM, etc.
Does your computer meet the minimum specs for Resolve?

From their NFO file -

HP Laptop 15-da0xxx
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) : 12.0 GB
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620

I wouldn't expect it to run great but it should at least open.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 10:48 pm

@Jacob: Resolve doesn't like the Intel HD graphics driver you have installed.

Go to the Intel GPU driver site:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/produc ... aphics-620

And run their "Automatically update your drivers" app.

If it tells you that you have a manufacturer specific driver installed, and there is no Intel driver for you (likely), then you'll need to use DDU to uninstall the current Intel driver, then download the current 9168 driver and install it.

DDU instructions are here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=119852&hilit=+ddu#p659861
Dwaine Maggart

Antonis Arapostathis

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 11:55 am

Dwaine, I have a similar problem. Resolve used to run perfectly on my small laptop until 17.4. Installed 17.4.1 and it is not starting. The previous version stopped working too. I clean installed windows and nothing.

Here are my log and NFO.

https://mega.nz/folder/OYtmmYIZ#12ZDqMVphbEnaCWGXgouGA

Please help!!!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 5:41 pm

Same as above. You have a very old (23.20.16.4973) Intel HD 620 iGPU driver installed.

The HP support site for your laptop has no newer driver.

So you can try the Intel Graphics Driver site app to auto detect the proper driver. It will probably tell you it can't suggest a better driver (because it's a laptop). Then your only option is to manually download the appropriate current driver for your CPU and install it after using DDU to remove the current driver.

That whole process is not risk free and if you are not comfortable doing complex Windows tasks, you could end up with a mess. But you need a new Intel driver if you want to use Resolve 17.4 or higher.

Maybe better to just stick with whatever version was working. Although I see no indication in the logs that you ever had an earlier version of Resolve installed on the system.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 5:51 pm

I see in your PM that you did a clean Windows install. Which would explain no indications of a prior Resolve version being installed.

So, since you are willing to do that, go for the route of manually downloading the Intel 30.0.100.9955 graphics driver for your i5-7200U CPU:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/677976 ... 0.9955.exe

Once you have the driver in hand, download and use DDU to remove the current Intel iGPU drive:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=119852&hilit=+ddu#p659861

Once you've done that, you should be able to install the new Intel driver.

And if it all totally messes up, you can do another clean Windows install to at least get back to where you are now. But hopefully the new driver will install, and Resolve will be happier with it.
Dwaine Maggart

Antonis Arapostathis

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 6:59 pm

OK solved.

I used the driver uninstalling tool you recommended.

The freezing stopped but Davinci wouldn't start due to unsupported driver (the Microsoft generic one).

Then I allowed Win Update to reinstall the driver and now everything is fine. The auto-installed driver version is 27.20.100.8681 of 05/09/2020.

I will stick to 17.4.0 for now though (this is the working version).

Thank you.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 7:47 pm

That's a much newer driver than was previously installed. Odd that Microsoft didn't update that without having to remove it first.

Glad you got it working.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve