Impossible to cut the track

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

BumbleBee

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 9:54 am

When I have a track in V5 (locked or disable)

I don’t get my follow playhead selection. which means I can’t cut with my keyboard since the V5 track is blocking for selecting the V2 track!!!

Also see / viewtopic.php?f=21&t=136780
Last edited by BumbleBee on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MacOS 14.3.1 / version 18.6.6 build 7 - M1
Or 10.14.6 - 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 - 32 GB Ram
GTX 680MX

Jim Simon

Re: [BUG] Impossible to cut the track

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 10:24 pm

I'm unable to duplicate this in Studio 17.1 Beta 10. Seems to be working normally.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

BumbleBee

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 11:42 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I'm unable to duplicate this in Studio 17.1 Beta 10. Seems to be working normally.

Make a video, with the same tracks I really want to see that it is working!!! Again I am on a MAC Not PC
GTX 680MX

Jim Simon

Re: Impossible to cut the track

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 3:41 pm

Could be a mac bug. Sometimes issues are platform specific.

But no...I'm not making videos to demonstrate success.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jason Conrad

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 6:28 pm

I’m unclear on what you’re trying to do or show, but if you’re saying that resolve isn’t placing a cut where you expect at the moment shown in your screenshot, it’s because the selected clip (the one with the orange outline) isn’t intersecting the play head. Try command/Carl+shift+A to deselect, then Ctrl+b to place a cut at the playhead. If you set timeline ins and outs first, Resolve dims the areas that won’t be affected, which might give you a better idea about how the track targeting works. Some operations look at the stack from the top down, and other operations look from the bottom up. SFP is bottom-up, which doesn’t really make sense to me, but it doesn’t really matter because if the selection isn’t what you expect, you can always walk it around with command+arrows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

Tom Early

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 7:06 pm

BumbleBee wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:I'm unable to duplicate this in Studio 17.1 Beta 10. Seems to be working normally.

Make a video, with the same tracks I really want to see that it is working!!! Again I am on a MAC Not PC

Why don't YOU make a video? It's not up to us to make the effort to show you that things are fine.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

BumbleBee

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 7:16 pm

Tom Early wrote:
BumbleBee wrote:

Why don't YOU make a video? It's not up to us to make the effort to show you that things are fine.

I HAVE MADE MANY VIDEO FOR THE BLACKMAGIC SUPPORT!!! This is NOT a discussion between us, I just want to get som respons from the mistakes I think is in the program with the REAL people working on it!!
GTX 680MX

Tom Early

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 7:39 pm

BumbleBee wrote:This is NOT a discussion between us

If it's not a discussion between us, then don't ask anyone here to make a video for you. Not for this, not for any of your other problems.

Though it would be a good idea to include other people, since it's incredibly common for users to sort out other users problems by letting them know where they have gone wrong, and if you provide us with the videos you say you have made for BMD, then we can do so. And as I said on another of your posts, if you aren't providing system specs, you're wasting your time.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

BumbleBee

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 9:19 pm

Tom Early wrote:

If it's not a discussion between us, then don't ask anyone here to make a video for you. Not for this, not for any of your other problems.

Though it would be a good idea to include other people, since it's incredibly common for users to sort out other users problems by letting them know where they have gone wrong, and if you provide us with the videos you say you have made for BMD, then we can do so. And as I said on another of your posts, if you aren't providing system specs, you're wasting your time.

Well I am giving up on this Davinci now. Will stick to premiere pro, there I dont have these small issues...
GTX 680MX

Marc Wielage

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 3:23 am

BumbleBee wrote:Make a video, with the same tracks I really want to see that it is working!!! Again I am on a MAC Not PC

What happens if you park the cursor on the tracks and hit ⌘\ to split the clips?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

BumbleBee

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 3:36 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
BumbleBee wrote:Make a video, with the same tracks I really want to see that it is working!!! Again I am on a MAC Not PC

What happens if you park the cursor on the tracks and hit ⌘\ to split the clips?

what is the name of that shortcut. Right now I have a shortcut I made with shift+c, it makes a cut and if I repeat shift+c it cuts the hole timeline. Just not when it is in the visually mode, as on the picture.
GTX 680MX

Peter Cave

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 3:39 am

BumbleBee wrote:
Tom Early wrote:

Well I am giving up on this Davinci now. Will stick to premiere pro, there I dont have these small issues...

Your issues are that you do not understand how some Resolve features work. It is VERY different from Premiere and the differences are mostly intentional design choices.

This topic is a perfect example.

Selection Follows Playhead is only affected by the AUTOSELECT buttons. If you had referred to the user manual you would have avoided this basic error and not upset other users with your responses.

There are many things in Resolve that I don't like and wish were different but I can't change the software, but I CAN change my working methods or use other software that does things differently. There is no "Holy Grail" video software that is perfect and does everything in the way everyone wants!
Arguing with other Forum members here is generally not very productive.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

BumbleBee

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 4:01 am

Peter Cave wrote:

Selection Follows Playhead is only affected by the AUTOSELECT buttons. If you had referred to the user manual you would have avoided this basic error and not upset other users with your responses.

I want a voting on this:

When I CUT ALL TRACKS, I want it to cut on ALL tracks. Now it will NOT cut ALL tracks, if 1. track is unable!!! Then it thinks ALL tracks don't have a track!!
GTX 680MX

Peter Cave

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 4:28 am

Why do you keep changing what you are asking for? First it was one track, now it's ALL tracks?

Anyway, all tracks cut just fine when using Cmd-B without anything selected.
All tracks cut just fine when using Cmd-B with a track disabled, INCLUDING THE DISABLED TRACK.
All tracks except a locked track cut just fine when using Cmd-B with a track locked and no clips selected.
A selected clip (or clips) always overrides the above functions and takes precedence.

I highly recommend reading the user manual about how the selection of clips & auto-select controls interact.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

eikonoklastes

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 4:30 am

BumbleBee wrote:When I CUT ALL TRACKS, I want it to cut on ALL tracks. Now it will NOT cut ALL tracks, if 1. track is unable!!! Then it thinks ALL tracks don't have a track!!

Can you make a video on this? When I have no clip selected, and then Split Clips (Ctrl+\) or Razor (Ctrl+B), it cuts clips at the playhead on all tracks (that are not locked) that have the Auto Track Selector enabled (even disabled clips). This is exactly how I expect it to work.

BumbleBee

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 3:27 am

eikonoklastes wrote:
BumbleBee wrote:When I CUT ALL TRACKS, I want it to cut on ALL tracks. Now it will NOT cut ALL tracks, if 1. track is unable!!! Then it thinks ALL tracks don't have a track!!

Can you make a video on this? When I have no clip selected, and then Split Clips (Ctrl+\) or Razor (Ctrl+B), it cuts clips at the playhead on all tracks (that are not locked) that have the Auto Track Selector enabled (even disabled clips). This is exactly how I expect it to work.

do you work for blackmagic? or this is pointless!
GTX 680MX

Jason Conrad

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 3:43 am

BumbleBee wrote:
eikonoklastes wrote:

If you’re using a Studio license of Resolve, you should take advantage of the customer support included with the license. If you’re using the free version, these forums are here for your help, but the support you’ll receive is mostly provided by users, on a volunteer basis.

-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

BumbleBee

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 3:46 am

WHAT they told me to post the problems in this forum!!!! AND they don't want to skype or Zoom, so I can show it. Making a video OR writing, just don't show what the problems are!
GTX 680MX

Jason Conrad

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 4:41 am

BumbleBee wrote:WHAT they told me to post the problems in this forum!!!!
There’s no harm in asking here, too. But it is mostly populated by volunteers, so you’ll get best results if you’re polite, respectful, patient, and try to explain your issue as clearly as possible. Occasionally, there are a handful of official BMD employees who’ll chime in. Dwaine and Peter are the ones you’ll see most frequently in this area, but they mostly keep the peace, and occasionally seek clarification on specific bugs and hardware configurations.

A few of the regularly contributing volunteers are very highly-acclaimed Hollywood professionals, whose films you probably know well. They’re very down-to-earth, helpful people. Some of them have already kindly offered advice to you. They’re not here to argue, so if they think that you are, they’ll probably just tune out.

I’m a nobody A/V nerd, who likes to help people learn Resolve, because it helps ME learn Resolve. If I can help you, I will. So far, though, I don’t think anyone in this thread quite understands your situation, and we’re all hoping you’ll provide a little clarification.

So, let’s start over. If you can show us what’s wrong, that’d be easiest. If not, please explain as carefully as you can, and we’ll do our best to help. But if you continue to express your frustration in all-caps, we will all ignore you.

-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

eikonoklastes

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 8:45 am

BumbleBee wrote:
eikonoklastes wrote:

If you cut out the snark, and carefully read what I wrote, it contains the solution for you. If it is still not working, post a screen recording of it, so that it can be verified as a bug.

BumbleBee

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 9:20 am

If you cut out the snark, and carefully read what I wrote, it contains the solution for you. If it is still not working, post a screen recording of it, so that it can be verified as a bug.[/quote]

I like to see YOU do you own trick. When I see it is working, like on my picture. I have to see where the problem is AND if it is ME who are an idiot :D
GTX 680MX

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 9:29 am

Claus, please reconsider your approach.

You have reported what you think is a bug, others have said they don't see the issue or explain why they don't think its a bug. It's not up to them to prove to you. If you would like the forum help, please present the info in a matter that others can assist and if its not helpful offer more info.

A number of your posts show resolve does not behave as you expect but as a new user thats often a misunderstanding of how Resolve works rather than it being broken.

We want to help you move to Resolve and ask that you focus on the issues.

I ask all responders to please do the same.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

BumbleBee

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 10:14 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Claus, please reconsider your approach.

You have reported what you think is a bug, others have said they don't see the issue or explain why they don't think its a bug. It's not up to them to prove to you. If you would like the forum help, please present the info in a matter that others can assist and if its not helpful offer more info.

A number of your posts show resolve does not behave as you expect but as a new user thats often a misunderstanding of how Resolve works rather than it being broken.

We want to help you move to Resolve and ask that you focus on the issues.

I ask all responders to please do the same.

give me your skype or zoom AND I am happy to show it... on this forum, it is not just writing or a picture. A LOT of things are missing when I have to show it!
GTX 680MX

Jim Simon

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 3:31 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:as a new user thats often a misunderstanding of how Resolve works
That was my biggest issue coming from Premiere Pro. Those frustrations largely went away once I completed the Beginner's Guide and learned how Resolve did things.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

BumbleBee

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 9:01 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:as a new user thats often a misunderstanding of how Resolve works
That was my biggest issue coming from Premiere Pro. Those frustrations largely went away once I completed the Beginner's Guide and learned how Resolve did things.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training

Jesus it is a SIMPLE - CUT and it is NOT working!!!

Yeah the training are the best in the world - really good - BUT doesn't fix the frustrated small things that makes it impossible to really work in the program!
GTX 680MX

Jim Simon

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 9:15 pm

You're reporting a lot of things not working that others report are working on their systems.

I wonder if you just have some system issues that need resolving. (No pun intended. ;) )
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

BumbleBee

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 9:35 pm

Jim Simon wrote:You're reporting a lot of things not working that others report are working on their systems.

I wonder if you just have some system issues that need resolving. (No pun intended. ;) )

A program is a program, I am on ver. 17.0 - maybe soon I will go to 17.1 - but there should be new problems when reading on facebook. They really should have someone test the program... but they are not really into fixing things I guess. ONLY if they find them self.
GTX 680MX

Jim Simon

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 9:46 pm

BumbleBee wrote:A program is a program

If you're thinking the system you're using to run that program can't interfere with the proper operation of that program...that's just false.

Here's a good example.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=131254
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve