Possible to export/deliver using only proxy media?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

tim_formfilms

Possible to export/deliver using only proxy media?

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 3:50 pm

Hi there,
Our team just updated our Resolve Studio versions to 17.1. In our current workflow, we have an editor remotely working on an edit using only proxy media (using the new proxy generation feature in 17). Our remote editor does not have the full resolution files, just the proxy files. When he goes to render (via the deliver page) a timeline, Resolve throws an error. I understand that when there are both full resolution and proxy files, that Resolve would render using the full resolution versions, but I'm not sure if it is possible to render with JUST linked proxy files.

Is it possible to render using just proxy linked files? Or does there need to be re-linked original files for the render/deliver process to work?

Jim Simon

Re: Possible to export/deliver using only proxy media?

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 7:54 pm

Render Proxy.png
Render Proxy.png (48.56 KiB) Viewed 6317 times
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

tim_formfilms

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 12:32 am

Thanks, Jim! This is helpful!

justanotherelvis

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 2:36 pm

Is this "Use Proxy Media" thing an option for exporting directly to Frame.io, Vimeo, Youtube? Those presets are very basic. My editor has only proxies, and those presets don't seem to allow proxy media for export. Hoping there's a setting somewhere that would allow this.

theschlaepfer

PostFri Feb 04, 2022 7:36 pm

justanotherelvis wrote:Is this "Use Proxy Media" thing an option for exporting directly to Frame.io, Vimeo, Youtube? Those presets are very basic. My editor has only proxies, and those presets don't seem to allow proxy media for export. Hoping there's a setting somewhere that would allow this.

Did you ever find an answer for this? In the same boat as a remote editor.

Jim Simon

PostFri Feb 04, 2022 8:55 pm

I don't use Frame.io, but one doesn't need to use the Vimeo and YouTube presets for such. You can make your own which allows that Proxy checkbox.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Andy Mees

PostFri Feb 04, 2022 11:27 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I don't use Frame.io, but one doesn't need to use the Vimeo and YouTube presets for such. You can make your own which allows that Proxy checkbox.

Yep, but unfortunately custom presets don't yet allow for upload options. It's been asked for though.
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=130038
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=150278
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

dwmann7

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 1:35 pm

The whole idea of working remotely is that editors use proxy files, so the next obvious step is to upload to Frame.io for review. So it stands to reason that there has to be an option to encode using proxy media. This is still not the case. BMD please sort this out as it seems to be such a simple option (copy and paste!) as it is already available on other encode modules. BECAUSE one of the best tools for remote editors is to get the feedback added to Frame.io directly on to their timeline as markers - BUT they can't do this is the file is exported locally and then uploaded to Frame.io.

Return to DaVinci Resolve