v17: Continue playing after deleting a cut while editing?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

nickjanetakis

v17: Continue playing after deleting a cut while editing?

PostThu May 20, 2021 7:32 pm

My editing workflow with v16 looked like this:

• Play back the video
  • Hit CTRL+b to make razer cuts at points I want to remove
  • CTRL+click the parts I want to delete (selecting them)
  • CTRL+shift+x to ripple delete the selected bits

And during the above workflow the video would continue playing. This made for a very nice editing experience because I could be playing a video back even at 2x speed and make my cuts. 90% of the time I would get it on the first shot (I'm actually editing a podcast so it's audio only and don't need per frame accuracy but within a few frames is fine).

However after upgrading to v17 I noticed that the above workflow isn't possible, at least not by default. Now as soon as I perform the ripple delete step, the player stops which means after deleting now I need to double tap L to continue playing.

It might seem minor but this is really a big deal for the worse. It means every few seconds I need to do 2 extra steps that I didn't have to do before.

Is there an option that I'm missing on how to get this behavior back to how it is to v16 or is downgrading my only option? This is a big enough of a thing where I would downgrade if it can't be done with v17.

Edit: For total clarity, regular deleting still continues playing after the delete, it's the ripple delete action that stops it, but every delete I do is a ripple delete. I wanted to add this in too because if you want to see what I'm talking about when it comes to having the player continue to play after a delete, try doing a CTRL+x instead of CTRL+shift+x. Both delete actions used to be the same as CTRL+x (non-ripple) in v16 and that's the behavior I'm trying to get back in v17 for ripple deletes.

Return to DaVinci Resolve