Dynamic keyframes for color corrector: bug?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Paulo Jan

Dynamic keyframes for color corrector: bug?

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 7:51 pm

Using Resolve 17.2.1 on Windows 10.

I have a clip where the sunlight hits the lens at a given time, causing a magenta tint. So I add a node, use the Offset wheel to take out the magenta, add a dynamic keyframe at the moment where it appears (using the Color Corrector row in the keyframe timeline), and then move forward to the point where it doesn't appear anymore and add another dynamic keyframe, and then I reset the wheel.

The problem is that Resolve does animate the effect correctly, but this isn't reflected in the controls: in other words, the color wheel stays the same until the second keyframe, when it abruptly changes value.

As long as Resolve actually works... well, I guess it's not *that* serious, but it's still a potentially confusing behaviour. Is this a known bug?

Peter Cave

Re: Dynamic keyframes for color corrector: bug?

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 11:53 pm

It has always worked in that way. The control display does not update dynamically during keyframe animations.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Marc Wielage

Re: Dynamic keyframes for color corrector: bug?

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 12:20 am

Peter Cave wrote:It has always worked in that way. The control display does not update dynamically during keyframe animations.

What is true is if you stop on the first keyframe, the Bars/Wheels display will show the current setting, and then when you park on the last keyframe, it'll again show the current setting. But not dynamically. I was told it would pull a lot of horsepower for Resolve to playback pictures AND do real-time scopes AND show the on-screen controls change at the same time, so my guess is it's a question of allocating resources.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve