New User lost

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Onemotime

New User lost

PostWed Nov 10, 2021 12:08 am

Hi all
Totally new to Resolve and using ver 16.2.8. Have 1 clip showing a sunset on a highway. Static camera position. Second clip is from a motorcycle track day with the bike doing a fast approach to and past the camera. Want to extract the motorcycle from clip 2 and merge it into clip 1 so it looks like the motorcycle is coming down the highway towards the camera. Is this a mask or rotoscoping? Have no green screen. Really lost and have spent hours on YouTube. I'm on an iMac if that matters. Thanks for any guidance. Feel free to tell me if this is beyond newbie skills.

Thanks

Peter Cave

Re: New User lost

PostWed Nov 10, 2021 12:51 am

This is beyond newbie skills. It is not an easy task even for experienced editors.
The most usual way to do this is to plan the post production BEFORE the shoot so you shoot appropriately for the desired effect. Shooting two scenes and then hoping there is a way to do a composite is setting yourself up for failure.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Jason Conrad

PostWed Nov 10, 2021 2:03 am

I agree with Peter; you have to learn to walk before you can run.

On the other hand, if you want to learn to create visual effects, learning to rotoscope will give you a better idea about what’s possible, what’s practical, and why the “fix it in post” mentality is… expensive.

Having said that, I don’t expect there’s much of a future for rotoscope artists as a profession, and greenscreen keying’s days are probably numbered, with advances in machine learning looming large on the horizon.

But more to the point, Resolve isn’t really in the ballpark for what you’re trying to do. Yes, it has some very basic roto tools on the color page, but keyframing them is a complete mess. At minimum, Fusion is closer to what you’re after, but if it were me, I’d use the Mocha OFX plugin for Fusion. I’ve seen other people recommend Silhouette, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

Onemotime

PostWed Nov 10, 2021 4:03 am

Thanks guys. I'll skip the idea. Had a feeling it was beyond me.

Return to DaVinci Resolve