Post "group post-clip" and/or bypass group grade?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

TCP786

Post "group post-clip" and/or bypass group grade?

PostWed Nov 10, 2021 7:57 am

I'm currently using groups to grade multiple clips. Because I often need to do different white balance or exposure corrections to individual clips, I am using Group Post-Clip for the grading that's shared throughout the group. However, some clips occasionally don't come out the way I want them to with the group grade. What I want to be able to do is make further corrections after the group corrections. I can't switch to using a Pre-Clip group grade, because then I'd be doing my grade before clip-specific white balance and exposure adjustments.

There are a few work arounds I've come up with, but they all have their own problems that I would really like to be able to avoid.

The first work around I can think of is to collapse the group grade to that clip's clip grade, remove it from the group, then add any further adjustments after those nodes within its clip grade. However, this would mean that I would have to carefully repeat this process any time I made changes to the group grade. That would easily become a workflow that's unnecessarily time consuming and highly prone to human error, not to mention impossible to preview any changes to the group grade while I'm making them, at least on the clip(s) removed from the group.

One way to make this work around a little more efficient would be to bypass the group grade for an individual clip just I don't have to repeatedly add and remove it from the group, but it doesn't look like there's a way to do that. If bypassing the group grade is possible, I could at least make changes to the group grade (either on other clips, or after re-enabling it), collapse it to the clip grade, and then move any post-group-grade nodes to the end of the node tree. This hardly less time consuming, and more importantly still does not let me see my changes to the group grade while I make them, at least on that clip. (Or rather, doesn't let me accurately see them if I have nodes in the clip grade that I intend to be applied after the group grade.)

Another idea for a work around is to used shared nodes instead of groups. This is likely better than my other ideas, but it feels a little sloppy since apparently a compound node cannot be used as a shared node, and I also wouldn't have any visual indication of which clips are using the shared nodes.

My last work around idea is adjustment clips, but I don't fully understand where they are in the signal flow. If they happen after the rest of the processing on clips they are affecting, I can use them how I wanted to in the first place, but even if they happen before that, I can move my group grades to pre-clip and use the adjustment clip for my WB/exposure corrections.

So ideally I'm looking for a way to make grade changes after the Group Post-Clip grade (or before Group Pre-Clip). If that's not possible, I can make due with a way to bypass the group grade for one clip at a time, but hopefully that isn't the only option, since it would prevent me from seeing my changes while I make them. Any ideas?

Return to DaVinci Resolve