Resolve cursor keeps moving away in the Color page

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ellory Yu

Resolve cursor keeps moving away in the Color page

PostTue Feb 15, 2022 7:58 pm

I've upgraded to Resolve Studio 17.4.3 over the weekend. After the upgrade, every time I am on the Color page and doing grading/correction and click the cursor on the any of the controls to make a selection or change/reset values, the cursor will slip and move away to the far-right edge of my display. I am using a dual monitor setup since I was in Resolve 14 and to date, I never have encountered this behavior. Even on 17.4.2, this was working just fine. I think this is a bug and it is very annoying as I cannot use the color controls at all. Has anyone encountered this? What is the fix or workaround? I need some help please. Thanks!
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Ellory Yu

Re: Resolve cursor keeps moving away in the Color page

PostWed Feb 16, 2022 6:04 am

Bump! I’m amazed that no one is or has experience this bug.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Roen Davis

PostWed Feb 16, 2022 6:26 am

I have found the same - since 17.2.
When mouse clicking numerical boxes, the box highlights and the cursor goes racing off screen right.
Also an audio issue: putting keyframes in volume there is no navigation arrows and the volume becomes grayed out. Left and right brackets still seems to work and grabbing the control point also.

W10
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 16, 2022 6:27 am

Try 17.4.4.

Are you using High DPI Scaling override?

And if so, have you selected System (Enhanced)?

That's known to cause weird issues like this. If so, try System and see if that helps.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Ellory Yu

PostWed Feb 16, 2022 6:38 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Try 17.4.4.

Are you using High DPI Scaling override?

And if so, have you selected System (Enhanced)?

That's known to cause weird issues like this. If so, try System and see if that helps.

Thanks Dwaine.

Where is this setting? I don’t believe I changed anything, just the standard upgrade to Studio 17.4.3 from launching of Resolve 17.4.2. But if I know this is set I can check.

I’ll also try upgrading to 17.4.4 tomorrow morning.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 16, 2022 6:43 am

These settings are accessed by right clicking the Resolve.exe file and selecting Properties - then the Compatibility tab:

windows_app_high_dpi_settings [2].png
windows_app_high_dpi_settings [2].png (39.3 KiB) Viewed 1935 times

Again, the selection shown in the screen shot is bad. Don't use that.

In fact, we don't recommend you use this at all. But if you do, don't use System (Enhanced).
Last edited by Dwaine Maggart on Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwaine Maggart

Ellory Yu

PostWed Feb 16, 2022 6:59 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:These settings are accessed by right clicking the Resolve.exe file and selecting Properties - then the Compatibility tab:

windows_app_high_dpi_settings [2].png

Again, the selection shown in the screen shot is bad. Don't use that.

In fact, we don't recommend you use this at all. But if you do, don't use System (Enhanced).

So I checked my Compatibility options and Program DPI is unchecked. Everything is set to the default values and have not been changed at all. So the setting in the Compatibility tab is not the issue.

Next, I upgraded to Studio 17.4.4. The problem is still there and persist. :(

Dwaine, the machine info I'm using is listed on my signature line below.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 16, 2022 7:30 pm

Please send a Resolve log, a system info .NFO file and a screen recording showing the issue.
Dwaine Maggart

Roen Davis

PostWed Feb 16, 2022 11:34 pm

I resolved my audio issue - a 5.1 that came in as 6x tracks that I grouped but when I adjust it shows as “multiple clips selected” but behaves ok.

The mouse jump bug is much as reported above and similarly, no compatibility settings.

Also double click on Mid Detail will not reset the value.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 4:42 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Please send a Resolve log, a system info .NFO file and a screen recording showing the issue.

Here you go Dwaine. The zip file contains the .NFO, the Resolve log, and a screen recording showing the cursor moving to the right edge of the screen every time I click on the value field or the label when I want to reset the value. I hope this helps fixing this issue. The screen recording was on Resolve Studio 17.4.4. Hopefully we'll get some fix soon. Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8hefeqcbfh4x5 ... u.zip?dl=0

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 5:12 am

Unfortunately, I can't repro on my system. I only have dual HD displays, so perhaps it's related to dual UHD displays.
Dwaine Maggart

Roen Davis

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 5:49 am

I am running dual UHD.

I didn’t have compatibility settings but I am running 150% zoom under accessibility.

I have just turned off the 150% scaling and despite not really being able to read anything, it all works as it should! Even click to reset MD!

It would be so good if I could keep this display setting and be able to read.

Maybe some theatre glasses or microsurgery lenses…

…I am also noticing how much more “precise” the cursor interaction with the edit page timeline is.
I have a new cause to whinge about!
UHD text size - if only it could be about twice the size.

I have to keep coming back to tell the world how amazingly well the controls work with the scaling turned off!

Ellory Yu

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 6:38 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Unfortunately, I can't repro on my system. I only have dual HD displays, so perhaps it's related to dual UHD displays.

I have been using the same dual UHD monitors for a long while and until 17.4.3, I never encountered this issue. No change have been made to my setup since. That’s concerning.

Roen Davis

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 6:42 am

Hey Ellory, do you use Windows accessibility scaling? I had it set to 150%. Now that I have disabled that it works so smoothly! I have to stand up and reach over my desk to read some menu bits that I am not so familiar with…I hope they don’t move things around too much, I am driving by memory…

Ellory Yu

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 6:49 am

Roen Davis wrote:I am running dual UHD.

I didn’t have compatibility settings but I am running 150% zoom under accessibility.

I have just turned off the 150% scaling and despite not really being able to read anything, it all works as it should! Even click to reset MD!

It would be so good if I could keep this display setting and be able to read.

Maybe some theatre glasses or microsurgery lenses…

…I am also noticing how much more “precise” the cursor interaction with the edit page timeline is.
I have a new cause to whinge about!
UHD text size - if only it could be about twice the size.

I have to keep coming back to tell the world how amazingly well the controls work with the scaling turned off!

Well, the scaling is recommended at 150% because it is UHD. I never had to scale down in the past. I also don’t have compatibility settings. If the scaling now matters, then that’s an issue because setting it to 100% makes it hard to read the text. Is there a way for someone in BM’s QA team to test Resolve on dual UHD displays?

But again, this was not an issue prior to Resolve Studio 17.4.3. Something must have change in 17.4.3 that upset it.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 6:53 am

Roen Davis wrote:Hey Ellory, do you use Windows accessibility scaling? I had it set to 150%. Now that I have disabled that it works so smoothly! I have to stand up and reach over my desk to read some menu bits that I am not so familiar with…I hope they don’t move things around too much, I am driving by memory…

Roen, no I do not. I’ve never had to touch any of the accessibility settings on Win 10.

Roen Davis

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 7:00 am

Ellory Yu wrote:Roen, no I do not. I’ve never had to touch any of the accessibility settings on Win 10.

Where do you set the 150% scaling you mentioned?

Ellory Yu

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 7:13 am

Roen Davis wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:Roen, no I do not. I’ve never had to touch any of the accessibility settings on Win 10.

Where do you set the 150% scaling you mentioned?

Windows 10 Display Settings. It’s the recommended default for UHD. It says “150% Recommended” on the drop down box.

Roen Davis

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 7:47 am

It’s really good with scaling turned off but….
It’s hard to read the menu items…..and
On the color page, the nodes are out of the node area - clean up node graph doesn’t seem to do it and using a centre button drag is all that fixes it (as I have found so far…)

Ellory Yu

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 2:39 pm

Roen Davis wrote:It’s really good with scaling turned off but….
It’s hard to read the menu items…..and
On the color page, the nodes are out of the node area - clean up node graph doesn’t seem to do it and using a centre button drag is all that fixes it (as I have found so far…)

It's a workaround but not a good one. I hope it gets fix in the next update. I'm going back to 17.4.2 for now. :(

Jim Simon

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 5:03 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:Windows 10 Display Settings. It’s the recommended default for UHD. It says “150% Recommended” on the drop down box.

That advice is best ignored, however. For best results, always use 100% Display Scaling.

Display Scaling.png
Display Scaling.png (102.05 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

shebbe

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 7:47 pm

Jim Simon wrote:That advice is best ignored, however. For best results, always use 100% Display Scaling.
If software is properly designed to work with scaling there is no issue at all at any scale level. Using the desktop at UHD on a 24 or even 27inch monitor is near unusable at 100% scaling.

It just happens to be that Resolve only works properly at 2x increment only so either 100% or 200% but that's their issue.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

Ellory Yu

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 8:11 pm

shebbe wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:That advice is best ignored, however. For best results, always use 100% Display Scaling.
If software is properly designed to work with scaling there is no issue at all at any scale level. Using the desktop at UHD on a 24 or even 27inch monitor is near unusable at 100% scaling.

It just happens to be that Resolve only works properly at 2x increment only so either 100% or 200% but that's their issue.

I share your sentiment too.

Ellory Yu

PostFri Feb 18, 2022 4:55 am

So I reinstalled Resolve Studio 17.4.2 on the same PC that’s having the problem with 17.4.3 and 17.4.4. I did not change the display scaling so it is at the 150% for the UHD monitor. Everything works just fine and I am not having the issue. It’s clearly some change in 17.4.3 and above that’s causing the issue. So all this suggestion of changing the display scaling to 100% is not helpful because it’s just putting a white mantle on a broken table that no won’t be investigated and corrected. :(

Ellory Yu

PostThu Apr 28, 2022 9:31 pm

So for a while I have been on 17.4.2 because anything greater and prior to 17.4.4 drift the cursor over to the right when I select any controls on the color page. 17.4.2 was the last version update that worked (as mentioned in the above thread).

Yesterday, I took the chance of updating Resolve Studio to 17.4.6. Now I have the cursor drifting to the right of the screen again. Hence, I am resurrecting this thread back. I'm at a lost on how to get a fix or work around this problem.

If anyone here had encountered this, and as above a few of you experience the same, what did you do to resolve it. I am on a dual UHD 4K monitor for many years now. This issue just exhibited when I upgrade pass 17.4.2.

Any help and/or concrete instruction to fix or workaround the problem (beyond what was already mentioned above) will be appreciated.

Roen Davis

PostThu Apr 28, 2022 10:23 pm

Did I read on the forum that going right was about whether the main DaVinci monitor was the main windows monitor?

The business of control use/selection disappears when you turn scaling off. It’s a bit hard to read but it works like silk. If the text was 25% bigger it would be a dream but the accuracy and effectiveness of the controls without scaling is very good.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Apr 28, 2022 11:00 pm

Roen Davis wrote:Did I read on the forum that going right was about whether the main DaVinci monitor was the main windows monitor?

The business of control use/selection disappears when you turn scaling off. It’s a bit hard to read but it works like silk. If the text was 25% bigger it would be a dream but the accuracy and effectiveness of the controls without scaling is very good.

Hi Roen. I’m not sure what you means by “going right was about whether the main DVR monitor was the main windows monitor. I’m not finding an option that would turn scaling off.

I did change the scaling to 100% and that fixed it but I just can’t read the text. Its not going to work on my aging eyes. I had to go back to 150%.

Roen Davis

PostFri Apr 29, 2022 12:17 am

If you are running 2 monitors if the main windows monitor and the primary DaVinci monitor are the same it might help…

I have ageing eyes too but the ease of use from 100% Windows scaling is fantastic…but hard to read!

Ellory Yu

PostFri Apr 29, 2022 9:39 pm

Roen Davis wrote:If you are running 2 monitors if the main windows monitor and the primary DaVinci monitor are the same it might help…

Yes, I have 2 monitors. I followed your advice above and set the main windows monitor and the primary DVR monitor to be the same. I kept the scale at the recommended 150%. That fixed the problem of the cursor drifting away. Thanks for the tip!

Ellory Yu

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 6:08 am

So this is still happening on Resolve 18. I believe I found out the problem. In my dual monitor setup, my monitors are set up in Win 10 to extend the display. My left monitor is set to Display 1 and right monitor as Display 2. However, in Resolve, I want to set the default display as PnP Generic 2 so that it will display the panels that goes to the default Resolve display to the right monitor. After testing so many times, I think this is causing the issue of the cursor discussed above. So I think I get what is going on. So, is it possible for Resolve to allow mapping the display so that PnP Generic 1 (Default) in Resolve can be Monitor Display 2 in Windows 10, or at least be able to configure such that the panels can be moved around and across the dual monitors.

Charles Bennett

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 10:28 am

Ellory, I don't know if this will help.
I have my Eizo on the left. To keep the Edit page on it it is set in Resolve to be the Primary screen. but in Windows it is screen two.
Display Setup 1.jpg
Display Setup 1.jpg (148.13 KiB) Viewed 816 times
It gives me this layout.
Dual Viewer Edit Page.jpg
Dual Viewer Edit Page.jpg (977.78 KiB) Viewed 816 times
When I wish to grade using the Eizo with Video Clean Feed, I change the Primary monitor in Resolve to the BenQ and this is the result.
Color Page with Video Clean Feed.jpg
Color Page with Video Clean Feed.jpg (944.92 KiB) Viewed 816 times

Now many may say why don't I swap the monitors around? It all comes down to muscle memory in my neck. After using Pro Tools for 28 years with the edit screen on the left my head is biased that way when using two screens. :mrgreen:
By the way, I've never had a drifting curser problem in any version of Resolve.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Ellory Yu

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 4:27 pm

Charles, thanks. I did that and now I have it correct, and the cursor doesn't drift anymore. However, the direction of the cursor now goes from right to left, which I think I will just have to get used to.

Charles Bennett

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 7:04 pm

What do you mean "the direction of the curser goes from right to left"? There is no change in direction on my system. Or do you mean from monitor 1 to 2?
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Philip B

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 11:45 pm

Hi Ellory,

Yes, there is a serious problem with the Color Page's UI here. We have a 32' 4k monitor attached to a laptop with 17' 4k display. The only way to avoid the jumping cursor issue is by setting both monitors to an identical scaling factor. A real shame, because it forces us to live with grotesquely small scaling on our smaller laptop display, because we don't want to waste valuable space on our larger monitor.

Very much hoping for a fix.

Best,
Philip
Resolve Studio 18.6.6
Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 (22631.3447)
ThinkPad P17 - i9-10885H 2.40GHz - 64.0 GB - 3840x2160
NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000 Max-Q - 552.22 Studio Driver
Intel UHD 31.0.101.2125
2 x Dell P3222QE - 3840x2160

Ellory Yu

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 7:21 am

Charles Bennett wrote:What do you mean "the direction of the curser goes from right to left"? There is no change in direction on my system. Or do you mean from monitor 1 to 2?

Yes, from Monitor 1 which is now on the right to Monitor 2 which is now on the left. When I drag the cursor from monitor 1 to monitor 2 the cursor travels to the right edge of the display and the reappears on the left edge of monitor 2. Other than that I am able to get the result I wanted.

Return to DaVinci Resolve