"GPU Memory full" errors after update from v9 to v10

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

pedroconforti

"GPU Memory full" errors after update from v9 to v10

PostFri Nov 22, 2013 7:10 am

Hi there, I really need some help on this since I can't seem to fix the problem that bricked my grading suite after my update to v10.

MY CONFIG:

Mac Pro 8 core 4,1 with 48Gb RAM
EVGA GTX 570 (macvidcards) with 2.5Gb VRAM
GT120
Mountain Lion 10.8.4
CUDA driver 5.5.28 (tried 5.5.25 before since it was recommended for OSX 10.8.4, but it did not work too)

Everything was going fine with my setup, even when grading with tons of nodes, HD was no problem, almost realtime. So I waited for the final v10 and did the update. Ok, I know I should have made a backup partition but I couldnt because did not have enough space in my SSD system disk for another OSX installation and all... anyway, I tried to do everything right so I checked the recommended CUDA driver version for my 10.8.4 system, downloaded on NVidia's website and installed it... but now Resolve keeps telling me at the he login screen that my hardware is not powerful enough.

But the main problem is that now it basically cannot play nor render anything without getting "GPU Memory full" messages.

I tried everything I could think of: resetting the PRAM, the SMC, installing previous versions of the CUDA driver, uninstalling Resolve and installing v9 again... but now even v9 show the same message, so I dont know what to do.

I am working with prores 2k and HD 444 files. Tried to lower the timeline resolution, and with SD resolutions it works (but with a much lower performance thas previously). Should I expect such a performance drop with this new version? And what can I do to fix this problem? I am willing to reinstall v9 as long as I can have it back to work.

Thanks,

Pedro

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: "GPU Memory full" errors after update from v9 to v10

PostFri Nov 22, 2013 8:54 am

Hi, you may have your monitor plugged into the 570 so the 120 is trying to do all the work.

Either way ....I recommend removing the GT120 and use the 570 for UI and processing.

There is a lot more UI elements in v10 and the GT120 is quite old and low power now, thus I don't list it in the new v10 config guide.

Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve