Newbie Problem - audio stripped from video when importing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Brook_Stein

Newbie Problem - audio stripped from video when importing

PostThu Feb 24, 2022 2:14 am

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this forum and a new Davinci Resolve user and I have run into a media import problem. I have gone through the excellent editing tutorials from the Blackmagic training section and I think I have a pretty decent grasp of the basics. I am trying to help a friend edit some footage from a podcast interview. He sent me two video files (.mov), one of him and one of the person being interviewed with the audio embedded in each.

When I open them on QuickTime, they play just fine. When I bring them in to DDR (v17.4.4) there's no audio in the audio track in the preview or when I add them to a timeline.

I am on a new Macbook Pro using macOS Monterey. Any idea what might be happening?

I searched the forum but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
Brook

Jim Simon

Re: Newbie Problem - audio stripped from video when importin

PostThu Feb 24, 2022 3:24 pm

One possibility is that your friend did not use proper cameras and send you the clips from those. A lot of podcasts just use the built-in camera on a Laptop or phone, and record using software which doesn't always record in an editing friendly format.

You can try a consumer level editor like Shot Cut or Filmora. They often handle consumer media formats better than professional NLE's like Resolve.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Newbie Problem - audio stripped from video when importin

PostThu Feb 24, 2022 7:05 pm

Can you provide a link to a sample file that exhibits the issue in Resolve?

You can send it in a PM if you don't want it public.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve