Is there anything for insta360 camera?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ShubhamJindal

Is there anything for insta360 camera?

PostMon Feb 28, 2022 6:13 pm

I have tested all sorts of solutions, but none of them give me a clean and sharp result. All output are blurry, and adding sharpness doesn't help. The plug-in for Adobe Première gives the results I am expecting, but as I have no plan to leave Davinci soon , I am still waiting to purchase a Insta360 X2.

The export from Insta360 Studio is "clean" (but of lot of details are lost), but the transformation and rendering of it in DaVinci is currently useless due to the blurry output.

I really wish Insta360 and Blackmagic Team could work something out.

peterjackson

Re: Is there anything for insta360 camera?

PostTue Mar 01, 2022 6:13 am

I haven't used it, but maybe this helps: https://github.com/eltorio/reframe360XL
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

TonyGamble

PostTue Mar 01, 2022 10:09 am

I use an Insta360 R One 1" as my third camera for multicam interviews.

This is one I shot last week and edited in Resolve.

The first and last shots use the Insta and have quite agressive zooms.

It syncs pretty reliably in a multicam timeline using the in camera mic. I am awaiting the arrival today of a mic adapter (from the factory in China as there are none in stock in the US or UK). That will boost the audio - not that I will use it for the final cut but it will make syncing more reliable.

My other two cameras are Olympus EM3 mkiii. I set them all to a white balance of 5,000 and the only fine tuning I have to do is desaturate the Insta and slightly match the gammas.

The standard battery lasts for an hour so what I have started to do is run the Insta for my whole shoot and only stop and start the Olys. Resolve does not have a problem giving me one long multicam and with that I can chop and change the bits from the several 'takes' which is what I did on that Vimeo clip.

Maybe you think my shots are blurry? I don't but will accept any comments.

Tony

TonyGamble

PostWed Mar 02, 2022 2:55 pm

Shubham,

I did another studio take this morning using my Insta360 - this time using the external mic adapter sent to me direct from the factory.

It meant it synced much more easily and I am using that audio for my multicam edit timeline as I felt it was the best.

Are you interested in 'anything for insta360' or have you lost interest?

If you want I'll send you the clip so you can see the quality from the Insta.

Tony

Keith Moreau

PostSat Jun 24, 2023 8:23 pm

I use the Insta360 cameras extensively, such as the X3. I'm using the Insta360 Studio and though it is good, I do a lot of Multicam shoots that include standard video cameras along with the X3. I sync the footage together and have multiple tracks in the Premiere Pro timeline using the Insta360 Plugin along with the .insv files.

However... Premiere is terribly slow when real time playback on a 4K timeline, so editing is nearly impossible. I'm transitioning to Resolve, but finding the lack of native support for .insv files which include 2 video 180 degree files is limiting. Having to transcode and create a rectilinear 360 file in Insta360 Studio First and then import into Resolve and use the KartaVR plugin there works, but this extra step takes a lot of time as well as extra hard drive space. I know that BlackMagic Designed has opened up their plugin API and have seen some Github projects but I'm reticent to try these as they don't seem to be used much. Is BMD and Insta360 working on native support? I think it would behoove the both as Resolve is fast becoming the go to NLE as Premier Pro's instability and slowness is promoting the transition.

Please guys make a plugin! If anybody else has input about possible native solutions please add to this thread, thank you!

baiaz66

PostThu Jul 27, 2023 7:05 am

Keith Moreau wrote:I use the Insta360 cameras extensively, such as the X3. I'm using the Insta360 Studio and though it is good, I do a lot of Multicam shoots that include standard video cameras along with the X3. I sync the footage together and have multiple tracks in the Premiere Pro timeline using the Insta360 Plugin along with the .insv files.

However... Premiere is terribly slow when real time playback on a 4K timeline, so editing is nearly impossible. I'm transitioning to Resolve, but finding the lack of native support for .insv files which include 2 video 180 degree files is limiting. Having to transcode and create a rectilinear 360 file in Insta360 Studio First and then import into Resolve and use the KartaVR plugin there works, but this extra step takes a lot of time as well as extra hard drive space. I know that BlackMagic Designed has opened up their plugin API and have seen some Github projects but I'm reticent to try these as they don't seem to be used much. Is BMD and Insta360 working on native support? I think it would behoove the both as Resolve is fast becoming the go to NLE as Premier Pro's instability and slowness is promoting the transition.

Please guys make a plugin! If anybody else has input about possible native solutions please add to this thread, thank you!

Yea - I totally agreing with you! I have the same camera. Would be nice to Merge the Insta365 studio into Davinci Resolve Studio :-)

gbrown3407

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 8:20 pm

Any news on getting a plugin for Insta360 INSV files?

azmrtwo

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 6:59 pm

This is pretty ridiculous.

I am seeing posts from 5 years ago asking for a plug in.

Just create it guys!

If there is a good reason, at least post it.

stevekn

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 11:32 am

also for the GoPro Max .360 files ;)

zhanko73

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 1:55 pm

I think the Adobe premier direct support of Insta 360 files is up to the company who produce the camera. All requests are simple left without comment both by Blackmagic and whoever produce the camera. Maybe BMD did not want to open towards users who are not experienced enough and / or editing just for fun. I heard about DR19 which has some simplified feature which sounds good.
Unfortunately there is nothing to do. The format of the insta 360 files maybe closed. Plugin can be written by insta 360 developers with the help of the BMD and Adobe developers. Last one was maybe open for that or Insta like better the Adobe. W
As no explanation has arrived so far, it can be either move to another platform (in my case from Linux to Windows) or create a longer path to convert and edit insta files.
Or maybe move to Premier from DR.

Return to DaVinci Resolve