Is this PC build specification enough to run Davinci Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

settermjd

Is this PC build specification enough to run Davinci Resolve

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 10:55 am

Hi folks,

Sorry if this is a poor question, but I've had all manner of missteps and shelled out thousands of euroes on computer gear over the last couple of years, so just want to hear from the experts before I commit any more funds towards more gear, in the hope that I won't waste yet more money.

Are the following core components enough to run Davinci Resolve 17 properly on Linux?
  • ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero WiFi Gaming Mainboard Socket 1200
  • Intel Core i9-9700KF
  • Crucial 32GB DDR4-3200 CL16 Ballistix RGB Schwarz (2x16GB)
  • Kingston A400 SSD 240GB M.2 2280 SATA 6Gb/s
  • ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX3060 V2 12GBOX Edition

Matthew

Nick2021

Re: Is this PC build specification enough to run Davinci Res

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 12:12 pm

What are you editing?

Unless you're getting a great price on that I9 I can't imagine going with a three generation old setup.

You might do better with a new I5 instead of a 9th gen I9.

j.oleg

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 1:04 pm

I'm also new to DaVinci but I already have several months of experience I can share.

First of all, DaVinci Resolve is free, you can just install it and test for yourself. But, it will not make use of your GPU to its full capabilities. What I found is that I had a built-in video card and DaVinci crashed like crazy. I did load, but once you do something there, it crashed unexpectedly. It wasn't even like once a day, it couldn't work 1 hour straight at all, and very slow. I have 32GB of RAM and Intel Core i7. Prior to using DaVinci I did not have any problems in any other software. Adobe Illustrator and other graphics software worked just fine.

Now I do have a dedicated 6GB GPU in the same system, and that's the only difference I made. I can finally work. DaVinci does crash occasionally, but I don't think more than once a day (I always keep DaVinci up-to-date). It also became faster. But it does load my PC quite a bit when it does the rendering/caching.

What I am yet to find out, is how this same system will perform with a paid version of DaVinci Resolve Studio. That's also in the plans, but not at the moment, sadly.

I'd say bottom line is, you need a decent GPU as a highest priority (4GB minimum for 1080p, preferably more), RAM 16+, and of course SSD only. CPU matters a lot in the free version of DaVinci, but at least a low-performing CPU will give you just that - slow performance - but not crashes like I had without a dedicated GPU. Your GPU is perfectly fine, but again, free version of DaVinci will use it to the minimum of what it actually offers.

Jim Simon

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 2:48 pm

I edit 4K BRAW with lesser hardware.

My projects are relatively simple, though. Few Fusion effects, basic grading and audio work.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

mpetech

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 3:28 pm

Nick2021 wrote:What are you editing?

Unless you're getting a great price on that I9 I can't imagine going with a three generation old setup.

You might do better with a new I5 instead of a 9th gen I9.

The 9700KF chip is an i7. It is generally slower than the i5-12600K.

Return to DaVinci Resolve