Unable to open a new project

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MugginsOz

Unable to open a new project

PostThu Apr 28, 2022 1:10 pm

Confession time. I'm a right muggins with computers but can usually stagger through with criminally twisted logic and referring to tutorials on youtube.
I discovered Resolve about a year ago and soon got heartily fed up with my old laptop's struggles with it (think family level laptop from an electronics chain). So, six months ago and flush with cash, I had a local computer shop build me a laptop for the job - they took a gaming computer and changed a few things to suit.

Said beast is a laptop with:
Windows 11 Home
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon graphics, 2900 Mhz, 8 cores, 16 logical processors
Bios - American Megatrends
RAM - 32.0 GB
Main hard drive - solid state, 500 GB
Second hard drive - solid state, 1 terabyte.
Display adaptors - AMD Radeon (disabled)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

I hope that's all you need. It's never even taken a deep breath doing the sort of editing I do.

I've been running Resolve 17.4.6 since it came out and have been happy with it.

A few days ago, Resolve wouldn't start, giving the error message: Unsupported GPU Processing Mode

Now, I didn't know what that meant - afterall, I'd been happily editing less than a week before. So I uninstalled Resolve 17. Seeing Resolve 18 was now available, I downloaded and installed that.

There was no difference of course because, as a friend pointed out, my graphics drivers were out of date. Specifically, the NVIDIA driver. So I updated that and opened Resolve again.

This time it worked and, being the first time I'd used 18, took me to that complicated screen where you select destination paths or whatever. I'm just a home editor making 20 minute youtube videos and everything's stored on my computer. It all looked too much, so I bailed out, uninstalled 18 and reinstalled 17.4.6.
Well, same issues only slightly different. I just couldn't get to the point where you opened a new project.
So I did a 'big' uninstall. I ran the uninstall programs, deleted the BlackMagic folder and opened ReEdit where I deleted the BlackMagic key. Restarts and cleaning up miscellaneous **** files of course. My thinking was that my computer should now be clear of Resolve and if I reinstalled it, I'd get a clean install.

I now installed Resolve 18.
I started Resolve and it took me to the familiar page where you can open an untitled project or start a new project. See attached image. You'll notice that none of my old projects have been recovered - I believe I destroyed them the first time I tried to use 18 (told you I was a muggins).

Anyway, you'd think that all I have do at this screen is to double click the 'open an untitled project' or 'open a new project'.
If I click on either, I get a black screen, a blue strip along the top with DaVinci Resolve Untitled Project on the far left and the minimise/close icons on the right. Nothing else. The program is actually unresponsive at this stage. I can't get a screen shot (probably because it's unresponsive).

So now what? I've done what I think is a complete remove a couple of times ie, uninstall, delete the folders, delete the registry key complete with restarts. I've tried this with Resolve 17.3.1, 17.4.6 and 18 all with the same results. There's obviously something hiding on my computer.

Swearing at it did little more than upset my Siamese.

Help!
davinci 1.jpg
davinci 1.jpg (467.85 KiB) Viewed 566 times

Uli Plank

Re: Unable to open a new project

PostFri Apr 29, 2022 1:37 am

Is your display plugged into the Nvidia GPU?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

MugginsOz

PostFri Apr 29, 2022 1:50 am

Uli Plank wrote:Is your display plugged into the Nvidia GPU?

I believe so. It's a laptop so it's all in one place (ie, no extra cables to put in the wrong place). The AMD GPU is disabled. I haven't changed any of those settings since it was last working except to update the driver for the NVIDIA GPU which is the most up to date driver.

Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

MugginsOz

PostFri Apr 29, 2022 4:59 am

Just to reinforce, I can open DR 18 but, can not open a new project using either the "untitle project" option in the main part of the screen or the "new project" tab on the bottom right.

The result is always black screen with a blue line along the top (DaVinci Resolve on the left hand side). The program is unresponsive soon after this point.

MugginsOz

PostFri Apr 29, 2022 5:48 am

Okay, I can't get a screenshot for some reason, but is is a photo of what I get when I select "Untitled Project", "New Project" or "Open".
At this point, the program is unresponsive and I need to us Task Manager to close it.

davinci 2.jpg
davinci 2.jpg (528.95 KiB) Viewed 503 times

Patrick8639

PostFri May 27, 2022 7:42 am

Seems to be similar than my one... excepted that I don't even see an empty window.
If you look at the Task Manager (Shift+Ctrl+Esc), what is the CPU use of DaVinci Resolve ?
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, ASUS ProArt X570-Creator WiFi, 64GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, ASUS Dual RX 6600 XT, Monitor ASUS ProArt PA27C, Windows 11 Pro

MugginsOz

PostFri May 27, 2022 7:47 am

Patrick8639 wrote:Seems to be similar than my one... excepted that I don't even see an empty window.
If you look at the Task Manager (Shift+Ctrl+Esc), what is the CPU use of DaVinci Resolve ?

Davinci Resolve wasn't using any CPU, it was just sitting there.

I wound up taking it to a shop and getting it sorted. Much technobabble but at least it's working now. No, I don't know what the specific problem was.

Return to DaVinci Resolve