I need some clarification

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

realLehre

I need some clarification

PostThu May 26, 2022 8:43 am

Hello everyone. I started learning how to edit videos with resolve some few days ago and I currently use a Dell latitude 7400 with i5 8th CPU, 16Gbs of RAM and 512Gbs of SSD.
For the most part, I have been able to use resolve with ease following the tutorial videos in the training page with the project materials.
Things became sloppy when I was doing the fusion tutorial, it won't even playback, taking minutes, I figured the integrated intel UHD GPU isn't even up to task.

Now, I am looking to get a new PC, with i7 11th Gen CPU with the integrated Intel Iris Xe GPU, 16gbs of RAM.

Now, does anyone use this same setup? How does it hold up while editing?

I am a student, I move around with my PC a lot, hence I can't go for the thick, heavy PCs with dedicated graphics cards.

This is a lot longer than I expected, kindly let me know your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Uli Plank

Re: I need some clarification

PostThu May 26, 2022 11:26 am

It should be fine for DR, even with HEVC 4:2:2 10 bit. But for serious Fusion work? Not really.
I doubt that any laptop is that good for Fusion.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

realLehre

PostThu May 26, 2022 11:33 am

Uli Plank wrote:It should be fine for DR, even with HEVC 4:2:2 10 bit. But for serious Fusion work? Not really.
I doubt that any laptop is that good for Fusion.

Thank you for the response.

Marc Wielage

PostFri May 27, 2022 5:23 am

Uli Plank wrote:It should be fine for DR, even with HEVC 4:2:2 10 bit. But for serious Fusion work? Not really. I doubt that any laptop is that good for Fusion.

I wish I could argue, but it's true that Fusion is very demanding. There are some true desktop-replacement Laptops out there that will handle Fusion reasonably well, within limits.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve