Black rectangle on preview and export

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Paul Beauchamp

Black rectangle on preview and export

PostFri May 27, 2022 9:31 am

Hello, my project seems to have this little black rectangle in the image. This is present on both preview and export.

Using both CRM, R3D and across three different cameras.

Any trouble shooting suggestions to fix?

iMac Pro w/ Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB
macOS Moneterey 12.4
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.0B Build 10

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Black rectangle on preview and export

PostFri May 27, 2022 9:38 am

Is it there when you view source media? Does it move along with the clip if you reposition it or stays relative to frame itself? Does it respond to grading, for example offset? Go along the processing chain until you find where it is introduced.
I do stuff

Paul Beauchamp

PostFri May 27, 2022 9:42 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Is it there when you view source media? Does it move along with the clip if you reposition it or stays relative to frame itself? Does it respond to grading, for example offset? Go along the processing chain until you find where it is introduced.

Thanks for your reply.

It's not there when I view the source.

If I create a timeline and add the clip, it appears right away.

Doesn't respond to any grading, i.e. offset as you suggested.

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri May 27, 2022 10:18 am

Check your project burnin settings, possibly it is an enabled metadata burnin with something which doesn’t have value so you get minuscule burnin background. Since this box is everywhere and on everything and seems perfectly centered in frame it kind of hints on some kind of overlay.
I do stuff

Paul Beauchamp

PostFri May 27, 2022 10:24 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Check your project burnin settings, possibly it is an enabled metadata burnin with something which doesn’t have value so you get minuscule burnin background. Since this box is everywhere and on everything and seems perfectly centered in frame it kind of hints on some kind of overlay.

I had timecode on the burn in earlier, I had since turned it off.

However, re-enabling the timecode burn in and subsequently disabling it has fixed the problem.

Thanks for the pointer, hit the nail on the head :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve