Relink Proxy Media - really slow

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

lpaolini

Relink Proxy Media - really slow

PostSun May 29, 2022 9:41 pm

I'm using Resolve 18 beta build 14 on Mac and I'm generally very happy with it.

All my data is on a Linux box, hosting the Postgres database, a RAID volume with the raw footage and an SSD volume with the proxies created by Resolve, both shared via Samba.

If I create a new project using the same clips I'had already created proxies for, those clips are not automatically reconnected to their proxies. So what I usually do is select them in the Cut tab and use the "Relink Proxy Media..." option in the contextual menu and select the folder where proxies are. If I do this, it'll complete eventually, but it's really slow. It can take an hour or so to reconnect 100 clips, even if the proxies are directly in the specified folder.

On the other hand, if I try to relink a single clip, it's instantaneous.

Is this a bug or what or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Last edited by lpaolini on Mon May 30, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drivenfilms

Re: Relink Proxy Media - really slow

PostMon May 30, 2022 3:22 pm

Same here. It hangs up for a long time. If I cancel it, the proxies are re-linked.

davidjoshua

PostMon Oct 31, 2022 9:18 pm

Adding my +1 to this issue.....

I have 4K footage from a Canon R5C, with 720p proxies that are created in camera.

When I try to link the 4K footage to the proxies, Resolve takes FOREVER.....

It would literally be faster to render fresh proxies on the computer than it is to wait for Resolve to relink the metadata.

This slow batch relinking appears to need a software fix, as it's currently a major bottleneck in our production workflow.

Thanks!

Bananavocado

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 5:21 am

+1

I have UHD footage from GH6 cameras and it's taking way too long, a lot of time it's just freezing.
If I relink fewer than 10 files then it's lightning-fast but more than that it can take anywhere from 1 minute to 1 hour. Very unpredictable.

Ko$tello

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 12:37 am

+1 for this issue to be fixed.
It used to work much faster in Davinci 17. After Proxy Generator and a new proxy workflow had been introduced, it started working super slow.

Return to DaVinci Resolve