Viewer in Fusion Tab Not Working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cdherrin

Viewer in Fusion Tab Not Working

PostMon Jun 20, 2022 6:07 pm

I have been using Davinci Resolve for about 3 months without any problems whatsoever, creating graphics, editing videos, and all sorts of things. Until last night when the viewer in the Fusion tab stopped displaying the preview. As you can see in the screen caps I'm uploading, I have the play head over the clip, even converted it to a fusion clip. I can still work in the Fusion tab (as you can see from the 2nd screen capture), but I have no way to preview the image.

Right before this issue started, I noticed that masks were not working as they did before (but that is a separate issue for later). So, I restarted DaVinci Resolve, only to incur this much worse problem. I've tried searching for any fixes but have come up with nothing that works.

Has anyone else incurred this problem and knows a way to fix it?
Attachments
FusionProblemScreenCap.PNG
FusionProblemScreenCap.PNG (445.38 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
FusionProblemScreenCap2.PNG
FusionProblemScreenCap2.PNG (396.96 KiB) Viewed 4603 times

xunile

Re: Viewer in Fusion Tab Not Working

PostMon Jun 20, 2022 7:45 pm

A few things to try. You can try to reset the UI under Workspace>Reset UI Layout. You can also check in the Fusion page to see if the viewer controls are set to B-View under the Buffer Split Wipe at the top of the viewer. It could also be a video driver issue.
Attachments
2022-06-20 (7).png
2022-06-20 (7).png (509.27 KiB) Viewed 4595 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

cdherrin

PostTue Jun 21, 2022 5:43 pm

First of all, thank you for your help and suggestions.

I made an interesting discovery that is a little strange. All of the projects before the problem still work in the fusion viewer. But it still doesn't work on the project I was working or any new project I try to create. Honestly, everything looks the same from one to the next. All the settings and layouts seem to be identical from the past projects to the new ones.

I don't know if this is helpful or just a bug.

xunile

PostWed Jun 22, 2022 7:20 pm

Have you tried a new database?
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

cdherrin

PostThu Jun 23, 2022 11:10 pm

No such luck. Created a new database and still it doesn't work. For now, I will just build on the old fusion comps that work and copy/paste to the new projects until I can actually sit down and try to find why the old ones work and the new ones won't. Thank you for continuing to try to help.

BlackMagicJon

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 11:03 pm

Same problem here now... but in version 18.1.1 (this update is the one that caused the problem). All my old fusion compositions (in my current project) work as they should. Any attempts to create a new fusion composition result in the viewers being totally dead. No way to view anything... even if I add generator nodes they do not show up in any viewers. Like you I can duplicate older fusion compositions to my hearts content and they work. Problem is I need a 1 minute comp and since there is no way to extend my older comps I'm stuck. Is there a work around for this? Very strange!

BlackMagicJon

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 12:29 am

Some more testing... I tired creating a new project first, then a whole new Database... same issue of dead viewers after creating a new fusion composition so it's tied to the software and not the database migration it would seem. I have a Mac Studio with the same version of Resolve Studio 18.1.1 and it does not have this dead viewer problem in new Fusion comps. I was able to make a 1 minute Fusion comp there (with a color generator), then import that comp into my current project on my laptop and it worked. It's a strange bug but I see no easy solution. Possibly a complete Davinci re-install but that almost never works in my experience. Maybe it's the difference between the M1 Max vs M1 Ultra chips? I hope an update fixes it on my laptop!!! It has been relatively stable so this is a new one for me!

BlackMagicJon

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 8:35 pm

Well, the problem persists and now no new fusion clips will show any video no matter how long they are. I can make a fusion project or get into one directly via an edit but no luck. Only older fusion comps work correctly. I did a clean un-install and re-install. Same issue! Local database Vs network database has the same issue. New or old project, doesn't matter all viewers are dead. So strange! Again this is on my M1 Max laptop (Monterey 12.6.1) only. So far (knock on wood) my desktop box is still working but there is a clear issue with the laptop and creating new fusion comps!!!

C3LTIC

PostSat May 27, 2023 6:39 pm

I have figured this problem out, as I was experiencing the same thing...if your preview dissapears in the fusion tab, simply select a node, and under it to the left you will see 2 dots...click the right dot, it will light up, and viola, preview is back!

caleforty

PostTue May 30, 2023 5:43 pm

Same issue and it's horrible. Working on Windows 10, 3080 8gb, 64gb Ram, Razor Blade Advanced. I swapped from Premiere for more stability, but the graphics limitations have been such a pain. Complete halt on all of my Resolve projects

Muhammad Ghayaas

PostTue Jan 23, 2024 8:49 pm

I am facing this same problem. Viewer in fusion tab not working on my macbook

darkRadiation

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 4:39 am

I also have the exact same issue. Although mine shows an empty grid. When I open console it shows
Right failed at time 65.
Right failed at time 65.
Left failed at time 65.
Left failed at time 65.
MediaIn1 cannot get frame for time 185.
MediaOut1 cannot get frame for time 185.

Ethan Inspired

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 3:29 am

In my experience I thought I had this same issue until I found out you have to select a node and click '1' or '2' to make it display on the left and right viewers respectively. For all you other beginners out there.

Return to DaVinci Resolve