Resolve 18 Will Not Open (W10)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

kadenptasznik

Re: Resolve 18 Will Not Open (W10)

PostThu Jan 11, 2024 4:24 pm

Hi Dwaine,

I was using Davinci Resolve fine when suddenly my screen disappeared. Ive tried installing and uninstalling and nothing will bring it back up. It'll start, I'll click on my project and then I can't see anything. Just my desktop. Heres my log file:

If you could help, that'd be great.

Thanks
Kaden

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 16, 2024 10:35 pm

There's no attachment. You'll probably need to put your Resolve diagnostics log on a file sharing site and provide a link to the file here. If you are a new Forum user, it may not allow you to post a URL. If that happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the Forum system doesn't see it as a URL.

Also, assuming this is Windows, absolutely also need a Windows System Information .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 16, 2024 11:05 pm

@Eric: Quite odd. When you had Resolve 18.1.4 installed, it was working with your Intel UHD Graphics 630 iGPU. Resolve was not detecting your NVIDIA GTX 1650 GPU at all.

Now with 18.6.4 installed, Resolve is crashing at the GPU detect stage due to this file:

C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdm.inf_amd64_5d0387ca958e09ef\nvcuda64.dll

Which is related to the NVIDIA driver.

Since you have a Dell XPS 7590 laptop, the NVIDIA GPU has always been there. Not sure why Resolve would not have seen it, unless you had it disabled in Windows Device Manager. And not sure why the 18.6.4 GPU detect is upset with the file above, unless perhaps you had the GPU disabled and now you don't.

What I would suggest is to use DDU to remove the NVIDIA GPU driver, then reinstall the current GTX 1650 driver from the NVIDA Driver Download site.

This is a thread describing how to use DDU. This thread is to remove the Intel GPU driver. Just select the NVIDIA GPU driver instead:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=119852&hilit=%2Bddu#p659861
Dwaine Maggart

Zoronian11

PostThu Jan 18, 2024 2:17 am

It worked! Thank you so much for your help, Dwaine!

ruffpro

PostWed Jan 24, 2024 6:22 pm

Hello, I've followed your instructions of the gaining the two files. Here they are, please help asap.

Cheers,
Troy

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 24, 2024 11:33 pm

Something has corrupted several of the Resolve config files. Not sure what would have caused that.

System was working at 7:20 this morning, then not working when next launched at 10:38.

Did something happen to the system between those 2 times? System power hit, or some sort of drive issue?

To recover, try this:

The following process will MOVE your Resolve preferences files to a backup location. This will force Resolve to create a new set of default preferences files when it launches.

Open File Explorer Options, and on the View tab, enable "Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Also unselect "Hide extensions for known file types".

Then in File Explorer, navigate to this folder:

C:\Users\ruff\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

Rename the Preferences folder to Preferences.old

Now see if Resolve will start.

If it does, it will have all the Resolve preferences set to default values.

If you had more than the standard default "Local Database" project library, those will not be shown. You'll need select the "Add Project Library" button and then select the "Connect" item, then enter the name and location of the project library(s). You can find that info in the dblist.conf file in the Preferences.old folder.

And if you had any other Resolve Preferences items modified from their default values, you'll need to modify those again as desired.

If Resolve still doesn't start, send a new Resolve log file.
Dwaine Maggart

thehomme

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 7:51 pm

Resolve suddenly won't run. Last used on 25th Jan (yesterday) without issue.

When I double click to launch, the blue loading icon shows briefly then nothing happens.

The app doesn't show in the Task Manager.

Run in compatibility mode and as administrator. Same issue.

I've deleted the config files and see them get recreated but same issue.

Reinstalled Resolve 18.4. Same issue.

I did update my Nvidia driver recently but can't remember if this was before using Resolve yesterday.

I've run the Capture Logs.bat and the zip is here
[edit - I can't post URL's despite having a button...wtf?]

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core Processor 3.49 GHz
    Installed RAM 32.0 GB
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Edition Windows 10 Home
    Version 22H2
    OS build 19045.3930
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 29, 2024 5:36 pm

New forum users may not be allowed to post URLs. If that happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the forum system doesn't see it as a URL.

We also need a Windows System Information .NFO file. Open the Windows System Information app and select its File - Save menu to create the .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

thehomme

PostMon Jan 29, 2024 8:52 pm

OK thanks.

Here is the URL of the Dropbox .bat
dropbox. com/scl/fi/y2yttbxncdkl507380oob/DaVinci-Resolve-logs-012024_193458.zip?rlkey=zfojz60i02zn7q2jhnajdpq4g&dl=0

Here is the .NFO file
dropbox. com/s/mjtz9db9on0bqms/win10%20system%20information.nfo?dl=0

I have since got DaVinci running after installing Nvidia Studio driver. Initially it didn't work but then suddenly it did. Makes no sense as it was working fine before with the Games driver.

I still can't post URLs. With spaces. Using the URL tag or omitting it

lutzer

PostTue Jan 30, 2024 11:23 pm

dears,

i have the same issue.
could you please look into it?
thank you kindly!
the 2 files are in the following folder:

https://drive.go ogle.com/drive/folders/1x6Tic6idxQu7gHco89SSGrMT11knewvZ?usp=drive_link

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 31, 2024 6:40 pm

@lutz: Open the Windows Apps & features Control Panel, and uninstall the DaVinci Resolve Control Panels app. Then see if Resolve will start.

Something to note: the MX250 NVIDIA GPU in your system only has 2GB of VRAM. That won't get very far with Resolve.

If uninstalling the control panel app doesn't help, go into Windows Device Manager, Display Adapters, right click the MX250 NVIDIA adapter, and select Disable device.

This will force Resolve to use the Intel UHD Graphics adapter, which has more VRAM, and will probably work better than the MX250.

If none of that helps, send a new log and NFO.
Dwaine Maggart

lutzer

PostThu Feb 01, 2024 5:58 pm

dear Dwaine,

thank you for taking the time and looking into it!

i tried both, and neither seems working..

new files:
ht tps://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folder ... MT11knewvZ

bbyma90

PostThu Feb 01, 2024 7:23 pm

Hi Dwaine
Running Windows 11 and having same issue--I try to open Resolve and nothing happens.
I uninstalled the Davinci Resolve Control Panels, but it still won't open.

Here is a link to the files, can you take a look at mine?

ht tps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1c ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 11:15 pm

@Ben: Resolve is crashing on the GPU Detect process at startup.

Let's try the simple thing first: Open Windows Device Manager, select Display Adapters, right click the MirrorOp Virtual Graphics Adapter. Select Disable device.

Now does Resolve start?

If not, repeat the process above, but select the Intel UHD Graphics adapter and disable that.

Now does Resolve start? If it does, use DDU to remove the Intel GPU driver as shown in this thread:

Then download and install the current Intel graphics driver for your system, and hopefully that works.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 11:25 pm

@Lutz:

Logs don't really show a GPU issue as this point, so maybe a preferences issue. The following process will show if that's the case:

The following process will MOVE your Resolve preferences files to a backup location. This will force Resolve to create a new set of default preferences files when it launches. If this solves the launch issue, that would imply there was some corrupt preferences related file causing the startup issue.

Open File Explorer Options, and on the View tab, enable "Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Also unselect "Hide extensions for known file types".

Then in File Explorer, navigate to this folder:

C:\Users\ASUS\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

Rename the Preferences folder to Preferences.old

Now see if Resolve will start.

If it does, it will have all the Resolve preferences set to default values.

If you had any other Resolve Preferences items modified from their default values, you'll need to modify those again as desired.
Dwaine Maggart

kogian1989

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 9:48 pm

Hello Dwaine,

when i try to open davinci, nothing happens - only spinning blue circle appers for a few seconds.

I,ve turned off intel 530 graphic card and had this error:
"GPU Initialization Failed"
Davinci Resolve could not initialize OpenGl. Please ensure that latest graphics driver are installed.

I've already re-installed Resolve
i've installed older version (16.2.8) and the main screen appeared, but when i tried to open a new project, i had a new black window and nothing more happened
I've tried running it as administrator and changing compatibilty modes
I've updated graphics driver drivers and tried to install older versions
I've uninstalled Resolve Control Panel
i've changed my power mode to best performance
I've changed davinci resolve's Graphic Performance
I've reinstalled Windows

Davinci worked fine 2 weeks ago (I had older version - 18.1 or something like that), but suddenly stopped opening opening.

I'm trying to make it work for a few days and i don't have any more ideas how to fix it.

Log (I made it after a first unsuccessful attempt with my intel graphic card on):
https://dr ive.google.com/file/d/1BfHloiYZUbTbWljY77JpHc0JwCcHHfSY/view?usp=drive_link
NFO:
https://dr ive.google.com/file/d/1tFcymuUT-2ZzNQOAqUv4YPgAmjnAeeue/view?usp=drive_link

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 6:55 pm

I don't know. Unfortunately, whatever you've done troubleshooting has eliminated any Resolve logs prior to 2-20-2024, so I don't have a way to see what WAS working previously.

Generally, when Resolve is working OK and suddenly stops, its usually due to Windows updating a graphics driver.

Your very latest log shows that with Resolve 18.6.5 installed, it crashed during the GPU detect attempt. There would normally be a corresponding Windows error log in the NFO file relating to this. But there is not. Did you save the NFO after the last Resolve launch attempt?

The latest NFO errors are related to the Resolve 16.2.8 install, and it's very possible that it won't be happy with the current NVIDIA driver.

If you didn't grab the NFO after the latest Resolve launch attempt, send another current NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

MattHSpencer

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 11:40 am

Hey all,

Can anyone help me identify the solution to correct the "Control Panel" issue I am experiencing opening 18.6 Studio with the Speed Editor connected. The load screen closes at the point shown in the attached image.

I am assuming its a Control Panel issue, as removing the software allows the software to load. The "CaptureLogs.bat" output can be accessed at the URL below.

www dropbox com/scl/fi/qrw499bl490z3ojtymf3b/DaVinci-Resolve-logs-032024_121152.zip?rlkey=ht16bav51415bwxt7i1ezz6kg&dl=0

Appreciate your assistance,
rgds Matt
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-20 121617.png
Screenshot 2024-03-20 121617.png (221.64 KiB) Viewed 866 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 9:23 pm

Open the Windows Settings - Apps & features control panel, and uninstall the DaVinci Resolve Control Panels app.

Then see if Resolve will launch.

Removing this will not prevent the Speed Editor from working.
Dwaine Maggart

MattHSpencer

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 11:07 pm

Hi Dwayne,

I have deinstalled the Control Panel. Every time I open the software though, it asks me to upgrade Speed Editor software, which I can’t do as it requires the Contol Panel. Is there another way to upgrade Speed Editor?

Thanks for your help.

Matt

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 4:38 pm

Install the Control Panels app. Run the stand alone DaVinci Resolve Control Panels app and update the Speed Editor. Then uninstall the DaVinci Resolve Control Panels app.
Dwaine Maggart

sebe97

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 9:21 pm

Hi, I spent 4 hours trying to debug the problem.

The only thing that just 1 time was to disablethe intel video card, then start the DR and before DR starts I reenabled the intel video card.

Unfortunatelly I cant run the the file, I get an error (I runned the file from the DR isntall folder)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Tried:
Reinstal DR
Nvidia driver
Intel Driver

Thank you

igginabind@gmail.com

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 11:08 pm

[quote="jehernandezhtx"][quote="Dwaine Maggart"]Open Windows Settings - Apps & features and select DaVinci Resolve Control Panels, then click Uninstall.

Now Resolve should launch.

I had the same problem. Installed Resolve 18.6.6 on my Windows 11 computer and, out of habit, installed all options (Resolve 18 & control panels). Double-clicking the Resolve shortcut on the desktop would start the Resolve bootup window, but every time it reached "Loading Projects", the box would disappear and nothing would happen. I saw your post listed above and uninstalled the "Control Panels" and it opened just fine :D . Thanks!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 6:44 pm

Resolve is crashing with OpenCL errors, likely caused by the Intel iGPU, which explains why Resolve would start with that disabled.

Not sure why CaptureLogs is giving you the error in the screen shot.

Go to the C:\Users\Sebastian\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support folder and manually zip the logs folder and send that. Make sure File Explorer Options are set to allow you to see hidden files/folders.
Dwaine Maggart

sebe97

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 12:41 pm

Thank you for your answer, I really appreciate it.

I've added the logs as you said, here is the link:" https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 6:43 pm

The Resolve GPU detect process is crashing at startup, due to the OpenCL error.

Download the Intel GPU driver: Version V31.0.101.4502 from the ASUS support area for your laptop.

Then use the DDU app to remove the current Intel GPU driver.

Then install the driver you downloaded above, and see if that makes Resolve happy.

Details on using the DDU app are in this Forum thread:

Dwaine Maggart

sebe97

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 7:07 pm

Thank you a lot, removing the intel driver using DDU and reinstaling it back did the job.
Best Regards
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve