Resolve 18 Will Not Open (W10)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SmaugPenDraig

Re: Resolve 18 Will Not Open (W10)

PostTue Nov 21, 2023 9:40 pm

Hi Dwaine, this seems to be the go-to thread for this issue, sorry for being another one asking for your help!

All my projects open successfully bar one since Resolve 18.5, and 18.6 still gives the same problem. It will load to 100% then a crash report window pops up (or sometimes nothing at all). I have attempted a few solutions suggested in this thread (config file, exporting .drp project then importing from a new project) but so far no success. I am a novice at editing, this project has a lot of work done to it (magic mask nodes, paint nodes, 3d models etc) so I may have done a lot sub-optimally.

Project name in question is "Glass Vultures - God and Master." Here are the files you ask for:

DR Logs: h ttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1gz5IX42 ... sp=sharing
NFO: h ttps://drive.google.com/file/d/12b4Atd0 ... sp=sharing

If you can spare the time, thank you very much!

Meurig

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 22, 2023 5:35 pm

In the Resolve Project Manager page, right click that project and select Export Project, which will create a .drp file.

Then Import that .drp file, and see if the imported copy of the project will open.

If not, provide a link to the .drp file.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

SmaugPenDraig

PostWed Nov 22, 2023 11:01 pm

Hi Dwaine,

Importing the project fails in the same way (Loads to 100%, then a crash report window pops up).

Here is the .drp file.

h ttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oos6ucK ... sp=sharing

Thank you again for looking into this.

Meurig

JpCore

PostThu Nov 23, 2023 10:34 pm

Been using DR for about 3 years now and it's the first time I stumble on this issue where it simply does not want to start. I was running into some storage space issues I overlooked causing it to request reloads and create a new instance when it would hit storage capacity which I understand. After closing DR and creating more storage for my project it did not want to start anymore after clicking on it.

It will show the blue load circle for a few seconds and I actively hear my PC trying to make something happen but it's nothing more than that.

I tried launching it in "safe mode", reinstalling, trying different drivers, newest version of DR and a few other bits but the issue remains exactly the same. I've been browsing on this forum topic to see for any matching cases but haven't really seen one that was familiar.

Davinci logs
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y0xyL1 ... sp=sharing

System file (.NFO)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M1uYxG ... sp=sharing

helloharin

PostSat Nov 25, 2023 11:56 pm

Hello,
I have not been able to open up Davinci Resolve for months now. I have tried every solution I could find on this forum and online and have come up short. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_HDbte ... drive_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aLeojI ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 7:44 pm

@Meurig: Your project opens here on my 4GB NVIDIA GPU equipped Windows system with no issue.

However, it appears you have lots of Fusion stuff going on, some of it pretty heavy.

Did anything change on the system prior to the loading issue? Software or drivers updated? New plugins installed? Anything like that?

To see if the issue is Fusion related, I've made a version of your project with all the Fusion comps removed. Does this version load:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/w6sp8fzt ... glxo5&dl=0

If so, then definitely something Fusion related. Did you add any new plugins, or a particular Fusion comp before the issue started?

The last good log shows this project being opened: Glass Vultures - G&M No Crash

Does that project still open? If so, what's different in that compared to the project that won't load?
Dwaine Maggart

findyournitsch

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 8:02 pm

Hello I see this is the place to ask about Resolve crashing. It just started yesterday but when I go to open up resolve on my laptop (Apple M2 Max, 32 GB RAM, Sonoma 14.1.1) the Project Library will open but then when I go to open a project Resolve will just crash.

It started when I was just editing yesterday and it crashed then I couldn't reopen a project so I tried upgrading from 18.6.2 to 18.6.3. It still crashes.

I was able to open up a project after shutting down my computer and trying hours later. I was in that project just now and was watching a clip and the whole program just shutdown.

What can I do to fix this? I saw some posts about corrupted files of some sort but I'm not sure what's happening.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 8:09 pm

@Joey: Your config.dat and .config.data files are bad.

Open File Explorer Options, and on the View tab, enable "Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Also unselect "Hide extensions for known file types".

Then in File Explorer, navigate to this folder:

C:\Users\joeyp\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Preferences

Delete the config.dat and .config.data files.

Now Resolve should start.

It will recreate the config files with the default starting info. If you had any Preferences modifications made, be sure to reapply those after starting.

If Resolve still doesn't start, send a new Resolve log file.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 8:11 pm

@Harin: Your NFO link worked and I have that. But the logs link requires access credentials. Please make it an open link like the NFO file link.
Dwaine Maggart

helloharin

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 7:47 pm

Hi Dwaine sorry about the access attached is my log files here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_HDbte ... drive_link

and my system info again here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aLeojI ... drive_link

SmaugPenDraig

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 4:38 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:If so, then definitely something Fusion related. Did you add any new plugins, or a particular Fusion comp before the issue started?

The last good log shows this project being opened: Glass Vultures - G&M No Crash

Does that project still open? If so, what's different in that compared to the project that won't load?

@Dwaine The G&M No Crash was a separate project where I was attempting to open the project and failed, so it does not open.

The only things I know for certain that updated was fusion (from 18.4 to 18.5 was when it stopped working), other than that I probably updated my Nvidia graphics drivers.

Very much a newbie to editing, I will be more savvy of it in the future! However, the file you sent me does open, so it is definitely Fusion related. I don't suppose there would be a way of disabling particular fusion nodes, such as the magic masks, in an attempt to see if lightening the load will help open the project?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 6:13 pm

@Harin:

Your config.dat file is bad.

Open File Explorer Options, and on the View tab, enable "Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Also unselect "Hide extensions for known file types".

Then in File Explorer, navigate to this folder:

C:\Users\harin\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Preferences

Delete the config.dat file.

Now Resolve should start.

If Resolve still doesn't start, send a new Resolve log file.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 6:59 pm

@Meurig: Unfortunately, there is no particularly good way to do that.

Here is a link to a folder with multiple versions of your project:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/h57hnsvh ... tllcr&dl=0

There is a version for each timeline. This will hopefully tell us which timeline is causing the issue.

I expect the only project that won't open in the Timeline timeline project, as it has most of the Fusion effects. I expect the Organised Footage timeline project and All Footage timeline project will open. But let me know.

Assuming it will be the Timeline timeline project that doesn't open, I've also created versions of that project containing just the first half of the timeline clips, and the second half of the timeline clips. It will be curious to see if either of those open. If only one does, that will tell us at least which half of the timeline to do any further Fusion mods would be.
Dwaine Maggart

SmaugPenDraig

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 3:14 am

@Dwaine: Both halves of the timeline opened without a hitch - as did the "Timeline Timeline"! I can't thank you enough for that.

Interestingly, the "All Footage" timeline opened without a problem, but the "Organised footage" crashed Resolve. I thought that perhaps the "Organised Footage" timeline was referencing a file/clip it didn't like, but "All Footage" should be referencing the same clips "Organised Footage" is. I told Resolve to send the crash report via the pop-up window, but in case you are interested, I ran CaptureLogs as soon as it crashed: h ttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1RuiLJBD ... sp=sharing

Genuinely thank you so much for your help, you are a hero. If you need anything else from me (as this seems to be a fairly unique problem?) let me know!

Lovleah

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 11:50 am

@Dwaine
Hi, today the recent project I was working on will not open and Davinci 18.6 crashes. I was working on it yesterday with no problems. Other previous finished projects open successfully without Davinci crashing. I exported the project and re-imported it to see if that would resolve the problem, but it still crashes when I endeavour to open it.

Link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Hoping you can help

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 11:54 am

Leah, please make the file open for others to download

And include the Resolve generated diagnostic log too.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Lovleah

PostSun Dec 03, 2023 4:37 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Leah, please make the file open for others to download

And include the Resolve generated diagnostic log too.

Ok thanks for the reply, I think I have the permissions set correctly now on the folder. Included is the log file generated and also the drp file of the project that won't load and crashes. Is there anything else required?

Here is the link

Again thanks for your help

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 04, 2023 7:08 pm

Your project opens OK in free Resolve 18.6.3 for me.

If you haven't already, Import the .drp you sent us, and see if that will open.

Sometimes, exporting and importing a problem project can fix issues.
Dwaine Maggart

acosme

PostMon Dec 04, 2023 8:40 pm

PLEASE HELP im having trouble i ran the log and it still doesnt work :(

i dont know how to access capture log but i ran it and it hasnt worked

acosme

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 8:16 am

Your link requires access credentials. Please make it an open link. And hopefully you have both a Resolve log, and a Windows System Information .NFO file. Open the Windows System Information app and select its File - Save menu to create the .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

OjasTDM

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 5:57 pm

hi I am new here, I am having the same issues as well so can someone help me here

nfo:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ommv6TxNupj-peFkGRFeqIdan4cz_IHz/view?usp=sharing

logs:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PxGZb2zXouNjA0290eal6eg96B00SzOR/view?usp=sharing

@Dwaine Maggart
Last edited by OjasTDM on Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 6:03 pm

Your links require access credentials. Please make them open links.
Dwaine Maggart

OjasTDM

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 6:54 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Your links require access credentials. Please make them open links.

try it again I think I fixed it

@Dwaine Maggart

acosme

PostFri Dec 08, 2023 10:03 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Your link requires access credentials. Please make it an open link. And hopefully you have both a Resolve log, and a Windows System Information .NFO file. Open the Windows System Information app and select its File - Save menu to create the .NFO file.

I have created a new link i hope i did this right. :)

CAPTURE LOG:

htt ps://drive.google.com/file/d/1BwMsuz_UF ... drive_link

NFO:

htt ps://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZXyn18iWk ... drive_link

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 12, 2023 6:01 pm

@Artisha: The Resolve GPU detect routine is failing for your Intel UHD Graphics 620 iGPU.

You currently have an Intel 31.0.101.2111 graphics driver installed, which is over a year old. That is likely the issue.

I'd normally suggest you go your computer manufacturers website and download a more current driver. But the driver on the Lenovo website for your Yoga 920-13IKB Laptop (ideapad) is from 2019, so that's not going to work.

My next best suggestion is to go to the Intel driver download site, and run their automatic driver update tool, and hopefully it suggests a more current driver to download and install.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... /home.html
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 12, 2023 6:11 pm

@Ojas: Similar to Artisha's issue just above, your Intel HD Graphics 630 driver is crashing the Resolve GPU detect routine. And you have the exact same Intel 31.0.101.2111 graphics driver installed, so not surprising I guess.

And similar to above, the Asus support site for your GL503VD laptop has an even older, 2018, Intel driver available, which is not helpful. So same advice as above: Go to the Intel driver downloads site and run their automatic driver detect app, and hopefully it suggests a newer driver you can install, and it will work with Resolve.

You have one other potential option. Since your laptop also has NVIDIA GTX1050 graphics, which is what Resolve will want to use anyway, you could try going into Windows Device Manager - Display Adapters, right clicking on the Intel adapter and select Disable device, and see if that allows Resolve to launch. You may need to reboot the laptop after doing that.
Dwaine Maggart

acosme

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 1:15 am

I updated my driver and it now works ! Thank you so much!! 8-)

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Artisha: The Resolve GPU detect routine is failing for your Intel UHD Graphics 620 iGPU.

You currently have an Intel 31.0.101.2111 graphics driver installed, which is over a year old. That is likely the issue.

I'd normally suggest you go your computer manufacturers website and download a more current driver. But the driver on the Lenovo website for your Yoga 920-13IKB Laptop (ideapad) is from 2019, so that's not going to work.

My next best suggestion is to go to the Intel driver download site, and run their automatic driver update tool, and hopefully it suggests a more current driver to download and install.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... /home.html

Utah_James

PostThu Dec 14, 2023 1:27 pm

Hi Dwaine,

I have tried almost everything on this thread to try to get Resolve to load. Can you look at the linked system configuration? What am I doing wring?

Thank you,

Utah_James

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ABXenj ... drive_link

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 14, 2023 5:47 pm

Gotta have the Windows System Information .NFO file as well.

Open the Windows System Information app and select its File - Save menu to create the .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

Utah_James

PostFri Dec 15, 2023 2:36 am

Sorry, I thought it was in the zipped file. See link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MRyFaQ ... drive_link

Thanks much,

J-

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 18, 2023 5:31 pm

You apparently had an NVIDIA GPU installed at some point. And an NVIDIA driver component is making the Resolve GPU detect process fail.

Couple of suggestions:

Try removing this file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispig.inf_amd64_19f3764f95906f94\nvcuda64.dll

If you can remove that, Resolve will likely work.

If you can't remove that, use the DDU app to totally uninstall all the NVIDIA GPU driver related files.
Dwaine Maggart

Utah_James

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 2:22 am

Thanks Dwaine!!!! This worked great! :D

Zeith20

PostWed Dec 27, 2023 9:44 pm

Hi Dwaine,

I am new here and I am having the same issue of not being able to open Resolve on Windows 11. I have tried many of the proposed solutions on this thread but have not been successful. Could you please take a look at the following logs? How can I fix the issue?

Capture Log:
htt ps://drive.google.com/file/d/1wIRi-HH4i ... drive_link

NFO:
htt ps://drive.google.com/file/d/1wSuc_mOx9 ... drive_link

Thanks in advance.

Alex

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 28, 2023 5:55 pm

The Resolve GPU detect process is crashing due to an issue with C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\OpenCL.dll

The version reported in the NFO appears the same as on an HP laptop here with similar hardware. So I don't think it's an issue specifically with that.

I suspect it's an issue with the Intel iGPU driver installed on your system, which appears to be a very new 31.0.101.5084. My laptop has version 31.0.101.4887. And that appears to be the newest available driver for my system. My CPU is an i7-12800. Yours is an i7-13800, so possibly why you have the newer driver.

You could open Windows Device Manager, select Display Adapters, right click the Intel adapter and select Disable device, and I suspect that would allow Resolve to start. But that's not really a desirable thing to do. But would be an interesting test, just to verify that's the issue. If that works, then my only other suggestion would be to try downgrading the Intel iGPU driver from 5084 to 4887 and see if that helps.
Dwaine Maggart

Zeith20

PostThu Dec 28, 2023 10:02 pm

Hi Dwaine,

Thank you for looking into my issue. I have tried the work around you mentioned of disabling Intel Adapter. After doing this, Resolve showed a start up image but presented an error:

"GPU Initialization Failed

DaVinci Resolve could not initialize OpenGL. Please ensure that the latest graphics drivers are installed."

I have the latest drivers for both my Intel iGPU as well as the NVIDIA card.

Could you let me know what else could I try?

Thanks in advance.
Alex

Zoronian11

PostSun Dec 31, 2023 12:43 am

Hi Dwaine,

I've been using DaVinci resolve for 4ish years with no issue, and then as of Sept/Oct 2023, it refuses to open. Can you help me sort this out?

Thank you!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 02, 2024 7:04 pm

@Alejandro: Send a new Resolve log and NFO file with the system in that state.

@Eric: Your Google Drive link requires access credentials. Please make it an open link. And also ensure there is a Windows System Information .NFO file, along with the Resolve log.
Dwaine Maggart

Eduardo_ex

PostWed Jan 03, 2024 5:50 am

Hi, my it's my first time using Davinci Resolve but it doesn't open.

my specs are

windows 10
16 ram
AMD radeon rx 6600
i5-9400

here are the logs
https ://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/home

Zeith20

PostWed Jan 03, 2024 6:39 pm

Hi Dwaine,

I have created new Resolve Logs and NFO, please find the link below:

htt ps://drive.google.com/file/d/1VbXNCE34- ... sp=sharing

Thanks in advance for looking into this.

Alex

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 04, 2024 6:14 pm

@Eduardo: That's not a valid link to your Google Drive. That's your local access link. And make sure there is both a Resolve log and a Windows System Information .NFO file, once you sort out the link issue.

@Alejandro: Right, disabling the Intel iGPU has allowed Resolve to get past the GPU detect error. But now it's unhappy with the OpenGL version:

Actual OpenGL version 1.1 < Minimum OpenGL version 4.5
Fatal error: Failed to initialize OpenGL

Looking into OpenGL tools and doing some testing on a laptop here with Intel Iris XE iGPU and NVIDIA, I see that the OpenGL version comes from the Intel driver. And it's 4.6. But if I disable the Intel iGPU in Device Manager, the OpenGL version STILL comes from the Intel driver, but now it's 1.1.

So in this case, disabling the Intel iGPU is causing the OpenGL issue. Surprising this has never come up previously when people have disabled the Intel iGPU. Maybe it's related to the Iris XE iGPU.

So now what? I guess I'd try this next: reenable the Intel iGPU in Device Manager, then run the DDU tool, remove the Intel GPU driver, and then reinstall it. Hopefully that fixes whatever is annoying the Resolve GPU detect process.

This forum link describes how to use DDU to remove the Intel GPU driver:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=119852&hilit=%2Bddu#p659861

If you or anyone else is interested in the OpenGL tool I used to check the OpenGL version, it's here:

https://realtech-vr.com/api/deeplink?SK ... t=UrlWin32

Or if that doesn't work, its on the RealTech VR web site and called GLVIEW:

https://www.realtech-vr.com/home/?page_id=142

Just watch out for the gazillion popup download ads.
Dwaine Maggart

Eduardo_ex

PostThu Jan 04, 2024 8:56 pm

My bad, here is the link with Windows System Information

http s://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RMU ... jkuHK1ULhY

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 04, 2024 9:51 pm

You apparently had an NVIDIA GPU installed prior to your current AMD RX 6600, and the left over NVIDIA driver component is crashing the Resolve GPU Detect process.

If you can delete or rename this file, Resolve should start:

C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispig.inf_amd64_19f3764f95906f94\nvcuda64.dll
Dwaine Maggart

Zeith20

PostThu Jan 04, 2024 10:07 pm

Hi Dwaine,

I have run DDU to uninstall Intel GPU driver and I have re-installed it. Now Resolve is being able to launch without issues.

UPDATE: Even though I can open Resolve, it crashes every time after a few seconds of starting a new project. I gathered new logs, here they are:

htt ps://drive.google.com/file/d/1r3ZuZqDqj ... sp=sharing

Thanks in advance for your support.

Alex
Last edited by Zeith20 on Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 04, 2024 10:24 pm

Hi Alex,

I'm glad that worked. Thanks for the update!
Dwaine Maggart

Zeith20

PostThu Jan 04, 2024 10:29 pm

Hi Dwaine,

I have edited my previous post as Resolve keeps crashing. Hopefully you can help me.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Alex

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 04, 2024 10:49 pm

Well, now it's complaining:

No Main Display GPU found and no monitors found to match, defaulting to gpu:04463344.5f6737f1.

Which it wasn't doing with the Intel iGPU disabled. And the gpu its now defaulting to is the Intel iGPU.

Open the NVIDIA Control Panel app and:

Go to Manage 3D settings > Global Settings.
Set the Preferred graphics processor to your NVIDIA GPU.

Then right click on an empty area of your Windows desktop and select Display Settings.

In the Display Settings area, scroll down to the Related Settings area and select Graphics.

In the Graphics area, select "Change default graphics settings"

Set the "Default high performance GPU" to the NVIDIA GPU.

Now see if Resolve is happier. If not, reboot, just to be sure all the above changes are implemented, and if you still have issues, send another Resolve log and NFO.
Dwaine Maggart

Zoronian11

PostFri Jan 05, 2024 8:43 pm

My bad Dwaine, I just fixed it. Here it is again:

KilijanEmbape

PostTue Jan 09, 2024 1:28 pm

Hi there i tryed literally everything,i added capturelogs that you sent Dwaine and created NFO file
but capture log that you sent and i puted in davincis file stils not working here is the nfo file and capture logs can you please help me?Thank you! wetransfer link https://we.tl/t-ZXmcA0REfG

Zeith20

PostWed Jan 10, 2024 6:00 pm

Hi Dwaine,

I tried updating the settings as you mentioned without success, Resolve kept crashing. Later I decided to run DDU to uninstall NVIDIA drivers and then re-installed them, after doing this, Resolve has been working properly without crashing. I just wanted to let you know what ended up solving the issue in the end and thank you for all your support.

Alex
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve