Scroll title bug: different font sizes rendered in 1K and 4K

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

qnstie

Scroll title bug: different font sizes rendered in 1K and 4K

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 1:47 pm

I encountered a problem which seems to be a bug and I don't know how to handle it properly.

TL;DR: when I copy a scroll title from 1K timeline to a 4K timeline it changes the size of the fonts, both in preview and in the final render:
Original footage:
1k60 screenshot.png
Original footage in 1K 60 fps
1k60 screenshot.png (59.38 KiB) Viewed 483 times

The 4K footage (the 4k60 timeline includes only a 1k60 timeline, no other changes)
4k60 screenshot.png
4K60 footage
4k60 screenshot.png (42.21 KiB) Viewed 483 times

Longer version:
My work requires two final products: a high-res 4K 60 fps render and a lower res 1K 30 fps render.
In order to do that I practiced a workflow where I edit the footage in 1k60 and then create two separate timelines - 4k60 and 1k30 respectively, where I include the complete 1k60 timeline.
In this way I avoid many of the problems I ecnountered before when I worked on 1k30 timeline and pasted the contents to 4k60 (which is a different story).

However, this is something I did not encounter before.
When I create a scroll title in 1k timeline and include it in the 4K timeline or just paste it there, the fonts get much smaller and the speed of the title changes as well (which seems to be closely related).

This does not happen with a few other titles I tested.

Do I do something wrong? Or have I just found a bug?

This happens on 18.0.4. I don't believe it happened in DVR 17.

Jim Simon

Re: Scroll title bug: different font sizes rendered in 1K an

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 4:25 pm

You might try taking a difference approach.

Edit in one timeline matching the highest quality you will need. You can get derivatives of that in the export phase.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

qnstie

Re: Scroll title bug: different font sizes rendered in 1K an

PostTue Oct 11, 2022 10:00 pm

Jim Simon wrote:You might try taking a difference approach.

Edit in one timeline matching the highest quality you will need. You can get derivatives of that in the export phase.

The bug report is not really about that - the Scroll Title should really not alter the size of the fonts when changing resolution! DVR is supposed to be resolution-independent.

But regarding your advice - editing in 4K60 is really a huge challenge, even for very potent rigs. Proxies help, but have their idiosyncrasies. So for me editing in 1k60 is really the sweet spot.
And regardless of in which resolution I edit, the problem appears anyway - in my workflow (where the final material are rendered in 1k and 4k) scaling will happen either up- or down-.

Return to DaVinci Resolve