Magic Mask Strokes do not track

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

brownc123

Magic Mask Strokes do not track

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 10:22 pm

Hi,

The documentation makes lots of references about strokes and that they are tracked. The documentation also says you can modify these tracked strokes in other frames if needed.
My strokes after tracking do not appear in any frame other than the one they are created in.
To repeat this, start 18.0.4
On any clip mark any stroke
Pres any tracking button
Go any frame that should has "tracked strokes"
No strokes are visible to alter

Andy Mees

Re: Magic Mask Strokes do not track

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 11:17 pm

There are 2 main types of Magic Mask: Object and Person ... Person Masks work as described (the strokes are tracked and move from frame to frame); Object Masks work differently and only display strokes on the specific reference frame(s) on which those strokes are created - you can still add strokes on other frames to further guide / refine the track.

brownc123

PostTue Oct 11, 2022 12:25 am

I'll see if I can track the Person mask, even if I have to modify the mask every frame the amount of work involved is the same

brownc123

PostTue Oct 11, 2022 1:47 pm

Person track works as described in the documentation, object tracking does not
I also find it very annoying in some small parts I have to put down a stroke on every frame for it to track the object

Andy Mees

PostTue Oct 11, 2022 2:15 pm

brownc123 wrote:Person track works as described in the documentation, object tracking does not
Yes, thats what I said.

brownc123 wrote:I also find it very annoying in some small parts I have to put down a stroke on every frame for it to track the object
Well you can always go back to manual rotoscoping. ;)

brownc123

PostTue Oct 11, 2022 4:17 pm

I thought It would work for at least a few frames like it does from the initial reference frame. Its probably easier to split to video up into 1 second clips

GalinMcMahon

PostTue Oct 11, 2022 4:27 pm

In my experience (and this is pretty anecdotal), the higher the quality the footage, the better the mask tracks. I was doing a project using proxies and the mask was driving me crazy. Turned proxies off and it seemed to track better. Also, of course, the more contrast and less motion blur, the better. I've also found that using a lot of strokes clogs the pipes so to speak.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

brownc123

PostTue Oct 11, 2022 11:51 pm

Most of the time the mask works just fine, I would also have to say that the parts I have to track almost every frame would be motion blur and low contrast. However on another clip I was trying to track a bright red motorbike on a dull yellow background and 95% of the bike worked great 100% of the time, 5% failed about 50% of the time. Maybe I'm asking too much of it or I just need to set the refine sliders differently.
Splitting the clip up did make it easier, I no longer have hundreds of strokes trying to track all these difficult bits every frame

Return to DaVinci Resolve