Exporting video so that it can be played on most computers

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bobdobbs

Exporting video so that it can be played on most computers

PostThu Oct 27, 2022 12:42 pm

I'm enjoying experimenting wit Resolve, and the editing functions that I've needed were much easier to learn than I thought they would be.

However, I'm still pretty unclear on how exporting and encoding works.

I want to export a short video that I've made so that I can upload it to facebook and share it with friends.

On the Deliver page I use 'Custom Export', and use the defaults.
This outputs a video. I can play it back on Linux using VLC. The file has a .mov extension.

However, when I share it with friends, they cannot view it. They hear the sound and get no video. One friend sees the message "codec not supported".

I've tried converting the movie with ffmpeg.
But to be honest, I'm just copypasting ffmpeg commands that I've found on forums or stackexchange. I don't quiet know what they do. And I haven't been able to create a shareable video with the commands that I've found.

So yeah. What are the simplest ways to output a video that most modern computers can play back?

Ellory Yu

Re: Exporting video so that it can be played on most compute

PostThu Oct 27, 2022 1:35 pm

For what you want to do, just select the YouTube preset on the deliver page and render as such. Also, change the codec container to MP4 instead of Quicktime. I think that will play better in FB.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

bobdobbs

Re: Exporting video so that it can be played on most compute

PostThu Oct 27, 2022 9:56 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:For what you want to do, just select the YouTube preset on the deliver page and render as such. Also, change the codec container to MP4 instead of Quicktime. I think that will play better in FB.

Looks like I don't have the option of selecting MP4.
The dropdown only offers me Quicktime.

I'm guessing that this is due to me using linux? I understand that there are some restrictions around using some codecs on linux when using the free version of Resolve.

Return to DaVinci Resolve