Editing feature (no clickbait)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Carl Jirestedt

Editing feature (no clickbait)

PostSun Nov 06, 2022 1:29 pm

In short: Make a checkbox in the Speed-change-window (R) for "Don't apply to audio"

Like many Europeans, I shoot in 50fps with a timebase of 25 (deliver in 25) so that I can have and choose from slow-motion and regular speed, all in one take. (same applies to 60 VS 30 fps)
If I need to use the footage including the audio (to use dialog or match sound for any reason) I have to do the following:
First I un-Link the audio and video, then I speed up the video to 200% to match the audio, then I cut the audio tracks at the end of the video and delete that silent leftover audio, then I select and Link the video and audio back together and it's done. This action includes 16 mouse clicks and a few mouse-drags to navigate to the right fields, and this can be done in a few fewer clicks using shortcuts for Link Clips and Change Speed.
If there was a checkbox in the Change Speed Window that would let you apply the speed change only to the video and not the audio - you would not have to do this un-linking and linking business and cutting and deleting audio. It would save a whole lot of time and precious clicks!
(alt-clicking to select only the video before applying the speed change does not work)

I have no hopes that this feature will ever see the light of day, and therefore I was trying to set up a ONE-CLICK-BUTTON to do all this using the Streamdeck. But there is a problem.
When pressing R and the Speed change box pops up, sometimes the Value field for speed change is highlighted, sometimes not, and this appears to be at total random.
Is this randomness a bug or a way to stop third-party keyboards from functioning?
This "bug" is slowing down the process of manual speedchange too since you cannot trust that you can start typing in your speed value directly after Pressing R, sometimes you can, but sometimes you have to tab or mouse over to the speed value field first. (Most of the time it requires 6 tabs, but sometimes more or fewer and sometimes none)

Is there anybody here that knows why this is happening and how to get around it?
Is there a faster or better way to sync slowmotion footage to real-time audio than the way described above?
Thanx

Carl Jirestedt

Re: REVOLUTIONARY EDITING FEATURE! (no clickbait)

PostSun Nov 06, 2022 2:01 pm

In this video you can see the randomness:
https://vimeo.com/767794270/e4979d5fce
Sometimes the box is selected, sometimes not, sometimes it's first in line when tabbing, sometimes not.

panos_mts

PostSun Nov 06, 2022 2:24 pm

Do not use the mouse at all because when you click somewhere, for example the "Change" or "Cancel" button, *sometimes the speed text box loses focus.

Press enter to confirm the speed change or escape to cancel

*If you press the change or cancel button with the mouse without changing the speed value, the speed box will lose focus next time you open the dialog.

Carl Jirestedt

PostSun Nov 06, 2022 3:27 pm

panos_mts wrote:Do not use the mouse at all because when you click somewhere, for example the "Change" or "Cancel" button, *sometimes the speed text box loses focus.

*If you press the change or cancel button with the mouse without changing the speed value, the speed box will lose focus next time you open the dialog.

panos_mts wrote:Do not use the mouse at all because when you click somewhere, for example the "Change" or "Cancel" button, *sometimes the speed text box loses focus.

*If you press the change or cancel button with the mouse without changing the speed value, the speed box will lose the focus next time you open the dialog.

Well spotted. That appears to be the cause and most likely this is a rookie mistake from a programmer that forgot to enter a line of code in the script. And that mistake is forcing millions of extra mouse clicks from tens of thousands of professional editors every day and has been doing so for years!
I don't think people should adapt to errors rather than demand a change.

Does anybody have a phone number or email to a BMD employee that is obligated to fix this?

Gordonjcp

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 12:09 am

Carl Jirestedt wrote:In short: Make a checkbox in the Speed-change-window (R) for "Don't apply to audio"

Like many Europeans, I shoot in 50fps with a timebase of 25 (deliver in 25) so that I can have and choose from slow-motion and regular speed, all in one take. (same applies to 60 VS 30 fps)
If I need to use the footage including the audio (to use dialog or match sound for any reason) I have to do the following:
First I un-Link the audio and video, then I speed up the video to 200% to match the audio, then I cut the audio tracks at the end of the video and delete that silent leftover audio, then I select and Link the video and audio back together and it's done. This action includes 16 mouse clicks and a few mouse-drags to navigate to the right fields, and this can be done in a few fewer clicks using shortcuts for Link Clips and Change Speed.

Unsure if comedy that's not quite landing, or someone who doesn't understand video.

Why the hell would you need to muck about with the clip speed to get audio lined up?

Carl Jirestedt

Re: Editing feature (no clickbait)

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 10:16 am

Because the project framerate is 25fps and the footage is 50fps.

Gordonjcp

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 11:46 am

That doesn't affect the playback rate, and I don't know why you think it does.

Tero Ahlfors

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 1:34 pm

If you edit 50fps footage to a 25fps timeline it should just drop every other frame automatically so the durations match and audio sync is kept. Other way around it would double each frame to playback at 50.

panos_mts

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 2:23 pm

I guess he changed the fps to 25 in the clip attributes so it plays at half speed

Carl Jirestedt

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 9:21 pm

The Project Framerate is set to 25 (in camera) therefore 50fps footage is slowed down to 25.
You might need to google Project Framerate if you are not familiar with it.

Steve Alexander

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 10:28 pm

Weirdly, that is not how Resolve behaves for me. If I shoot 60 fps in camera and drop it on a 30 fps timeline, it plays back in real time. I'm guessing that Resolve just drops every other frame in the default settings so that it can play the camera footage at 30 fps. If I want the footage to playback in slow motion, I use 'Change Clip Speed' and set it to 50% so that 60 frames of camera footage are played back over 2 seconds.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

DavidVogt

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 10:41 pm

Works for me as well. 60 fps camera footage with sound linked plays at normal speed on 30 fps timeline with no additional work needed.
Mac Studio ultra
Monterey 12.4
128 GB ram
2 TB SSD
48 TB HD disc storage, multiple RAIDS

Carl Jirestedt

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 2:32 am

I see that you failed to google Project Frame Rate!

(depending on the situation you sometimes want to shoot 50fps with a Project framerate of 25 and sometimes you want to shoot 50fps with a Project framerate of 50)

roger.magnusson

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 3:33 am

Is it a bug? I don't understand why the audio is affected by the Change Clip Speed command when only the video is selected. I wouldn't expect unlinking to be necessary but it is.

By the way, wouldn't there be less work if you shot at a project frame rate of 50 instead? Then you'd only have to change clip attributes for the parts that will be in slow motion. But more importantly, if you're shooting off speed on a Blackmagic camera there's always audio drift. Sync is only guaranteed when off speed recording is disabled, even if the frame rates are the same or evenly divisible there can be drift.

Steve Alexander

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 3:39 am

Carl Jirestedt wrote:I see that you failed to google Project Frame Rate!

(depending on the situation you sometimes want to shoot 50fps with a Project framerate of 25 and sometimes you want to shoot 50fps with a Project framerate of 50)

Either way, Resolve plays back the video and audio in real time where one second of video shot takes one second to play back.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Steve Alexander

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 3:43 am

@Roger - maybe it is a bug that changing clip speed affects both audio and video but maybe it’s by design. I don’t know. Sounds like Carl is talking about something else though in his latest post. Puzzling.
Time Traveller

Uli Plank

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 6:44 am

I think Carl is right.
If your camera's project rate is set to 25 fps and you shoot off-speed in 50 fps, you'll get slo-mo.
If your camera is set to a project rate of 50 and you shoot in that rate (so, no off-speed), you can drop the result into a 25 fps timeline and DR will play it back with normal timing (dropping every other frame). That's fine with me.
Do you see something else? Might be a bug then.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Robert Niessner

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 8:14 am

Did I understand this correctly?
You are shooting with your camera set to a project frame rate of 25p and offspeed set to 50 fps so you can have 25 fps in your edit but also an optional slow motion?

Then you might reconsider your workflow. Just shoot at 50 fps into a 50 fps project frame rate (offspeed is turned off). Place your clips into a 25p project in Resolve and when you need slow motion just slow down the clips to 50%.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Steve Alexander

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 12:00 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:Did I understand this correctly?
You are shooting with your camera set to a project frame rate of 25p and offspeed set to 50 fps so you can have 25 fps in your edit but also an optional slow motion?

Then you might reconsider your workflow. Just shoot at 50 fps into a 50 fps project frame rate (offspeed is turned off). Place your clips into a 25p project in Resolve and when you need slow motion just slow down the clips to 50%.

I must admit that I totally missed this nuance - I thought the 'Project Frame rate' was referring to Resolve's project frame rate which is just the default used for timeline frame rate. I agree with Robert, if it's possible to change your workflow to shooting at 50p into a 50p container frame rate. An interesting twist, though. None of my cameras allow for this - it must be something found in more professional cameras? So Carl's requests makes perfect sense to me, now (sorry for misunderstanding, Carl).

One way to deal with this might be to change the clip attributes to a frame rate of 50p and then apply the clip speed change but the problem with doing this in clip attributes is that it can muck up xml/AAF exports and probably proxy generation (not sure about proxies). Having the ability to apply a speed change to video independently of audio could be useful. +1
Time Traveller

Carl Jirestedt

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 1:06 pm

As I mentioned earlier, there are times when a project framerate of 50 is good even if you will in fact deliver in 25 in the end. My question/feature posted here has nothing to do with that scenario, but rather the times when a project framerate of 25 is better.
Let's say you shoot 100 clips in 50fps and you know that you will use 95 of them in slowmotion without audio (slowed down) then, setting the project framerate to 25 is smart because the clips are already slowed down correctly when you play back in camera to check the footage and also when you add them to the timeline or in the media page and so on they are already slowed down correctly. Since you are using your footage slowed down, you do not mind that the audio only covers half of your footage (because the audio is not slowed down along with the video). This means that if you want to use those 5 out of 100 clips as realtime clips with synced audio (no slowmotion), you then have to resync the video to match the audio. And this is where the feature "don't apply speed change to audio -checkbox" would be really good.
And btw, even if the ratio was 50-50 you could argue it's better to slow down prior to editing since clips on a timeline that needs to be slowed down require you to first make space in between the clips in order for them to fit. (at least if there was such a thing as "don't apply speed change to audio")

If you are still not on board after this explanation I will have to trow in the towel! ;)

panos_mts

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 1:17 pm

You can double the framerate in the clip attributes, the clip will play in double speed without affecting the linked audio

Carl Jirestedt

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 2:57 pm

panos_mts wrote:You can double the framerate in the clip attributes, the clip will play in double speed without affecting the linked audio

Interesting! But when I set to framerate to any value higher than the Project frame rate the media goes "Offline media" so it does not work. Tried 2 different projects and it's the same.
BTW when I set the FPS via clip attributes from 25 to 16 and then back again to 25 the same "Offline media" happen so there might be a bug here.
Would be nice if it worked! (almost as nice as a Don't apply speedchange to audio checkbox!)
Can you confirm that you can set the FPS to 50 on 25FPS footage this way without affecting the audio?
Thanx

panos_mts

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 3:03 pm

If the clip is already on the timeline, it will go offline if you increase the frame rate.
You have to trim it to half length or lower before the frame rate change.

Alternatively you can delete the clip and drag it again from the media pool to the timeline after the frame rate change

Carl Jirestedt

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 3:30 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:

I must admit that I totally missed this nuance - I thought the 'Project Frame rate' was referring to Resolve's project frame rate which is just the default used for timeline frame rate. I agree with Robert, if it's possible to change your workflow to shooting at 50p into a 50p container frame rate. An interesting twist, though. None of my cameras allow for this - it must be something found in more professional cameras? So Carl's requests makes perfect sense to me, now (sorry for misunderstanding, Carl).

One way to deal with this might be to change the clip attributes to a frame rate of 50p and then apply the clip speed change but the problem with doing this in clip attributes is that it can muck up xml/AAF exports and probably proxy generation (not sure about proxies). Having the ability to apply a speed change to video independently of audio could be useful. +1

Thank you Steve!!

Carl Jirestedt

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 3:42 pm

panos_mts wrote:If the clip is already on the timeline, it will go offline if you increase the frame rate.
You have to trim it to half length or lower before the frame rate change.

Alternatively you can delete the clip and drag it again from the media pool to the timeline after the frame rate change

That worked!!
So if you have 50FPS footage that have been slowed down due to Project Framerate being set to 25, you can now re-speed that clip and sync audio by: first trimming that clip down to less than 50% in length and then rightclick - clip attributes - change framerate to 50 - and then trim back to 100% length.
This is an 8 click/move operation and is much better than the 20click operation mentioned in the original post so that is great news!

The "Offline media" thing would not have to happen if Davinci did trim the clip after changing the framerate via clip attributes itself.

Robert Niessner

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 4:26 pm

Carl Jirestedt wrote:The "Offline media" thing would not have to happen if Davinci did trim the clip after changing the framerate via clip attributes itself.

Yeah, Davinci could handle this like Premiere Pro does - it makes a hatching pattern onto those parts not existing anymore.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Uli Plank

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 3:13 am

But remember that audio sync may not be perfect if footage was shot in off-speed, even after correcting the speed of video.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve