Resolve Crashing Upon Project Opening

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

eleazarwilson

Resolve Crashing Upon Project Opening

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 7:15 pm

I have just started having a problem where, upon opening a certain project in Resolve, the program crashes almost instantly, within 2 seconds of opening it.

Specifics:
- My other projects seem to be working fine, and I have been working on this project for about a month now and it has just started crashing yesterday, after I had been working on it for an hour that day.
- It stayed open one time, and I navigated to the Edit page and it seemed fine, but as soon as I navigated to the color page and tried and switch between clips, it crashed and I haven't been able to get it to stay open again.
- The project settings are the same as other projects I have.
- The media for this project is stored on an HDD, whereas my other projects are on SSDs (I'm working on moving it all onto an SSD to see if that makes a difference. Could it be affected by the speed of the hard drive that the media is on? It works fine with projects where the media is on SSDs, a media server, or on my local machine.
- It seems to be crashing while on the color page, before it finishes loading the clip previews on the clips viewer.
- I have also tried opening the project backups, but none of the project backups will open either, making me think it must be something else than the project file itself.
- I'm using the latest version of Resolve Studio on a Mac Studio, M1 Max with 64Gb of integrated memory, MacOS 12.6.1.

Thanks.
Eleazar Wilson

MacOS 12.6.1
Mac Studio 2022
M1 Max - 64GB

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve Crashing Upon Project Opening

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 10:28 pm

Export a project .drp and then import that .drp. Does the imported version work any better?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

eleazarwilson

Re: Resolve Crashing Upon Project Opening

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 2:25 pm

Okay, so here's what else I've tried now.
I tried exporting a .drp and then importing it, and the results it gave me were no different.
I managed to copy all the project footage onto an SSD, and it gave me slightly different results:
- With the footage on an SSD, the project would open, but as soon as I start navigating between clips using the up and down arrows, it would crash.
- I tried disabling all grades in the color page, and then I was able to navigate between clips for a little bit, but that only worked once.
- I unplugged the SSD and tried opening the project with all the "media offline" but then it just was crashing immediately.

Lastly, I tried opening the project on a different computer: MacBook Pro 16 inch, running Big Sur 11.6, with i9, 64GB Ram, Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB, and the project works fine, using either the SSD or the HDD as the media storage, and using the same version of resolve.

So I'm still not sure what was causing it, or how to make it work on my other computer.
Eleazar Wilson

MacOS 12.6.1
Mac Studio 2022
M1 Max - 64GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve